1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of Purchasing... few questions...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by chazman113, Feb 4, 2018.

1. chazman113

chazman113 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all, so I've been doing research regarding the Prius Prime and wanted to make sure my assumptions were correct. You smart people will probly set me straight...

-The federal tax credit is still valid for 2018 and if they sell less than 200,000 in the first quarter I will be able to get it. This credit isn't included in the MSRP in any way. Correct? I'm not sure where to find reliable numbers for 2018 yet, I guess its just a crapshoot.

-Looks like right now there is a $1000 incentive for cash purchase or .9% interest for 60 months. There is also a college incentive that I'm not sure stacks or is available. (I'm waiting for dealer to get back to me.

-Infotainment system seems to be the biggest gripe on reviews. Have there been updates to make it any better since it's release? I always hated infotainment systems and things like integrated GPS. Why wouldn't I just use my phone where everything is live and accurate? Sounds like there is some buzz of new toyotas getting apple car play. I would imagine an upgrade being available for the 2017 Prime in the future being a long shot for android.

-Sound like they won't negotiate at all on MSRP correct? I would imagine I need to work my trade in value in that case.

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You are already showing you have one?

3. chazman113

chazman113 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea I do not know the signup form requires it. There wasn't a choice for 2012 camry lol.

4. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The "credit" is a Federal tax credit worth $4502. against any tax liability you personally will have in 2018. In addition, there is a $4000. Toyota cash back incentive in NJ, NY and the NE Toyota region. The $4502. Federal tax credit is available until TMC sells a total of 200,000 plug in hybrids of all types, Toyota, Lexus, (forget the first quarter). The other incentives usually do not stack. Infotainment system works fine but is not Apple or Android compatible. All dealers will negotiate on the MSRP. Look at threads here for pricing info.

bisco likes this.
  5. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. Although until the year ends, congress could change that. Most of us doubt they will.

No. State and Federal rebates/incentives/etc. are not included in MSRP or dealer negotiated prices. They are separate and come after you purchase.

The Toyota incentive varies by location. Looks like you are in Delaware so you could drive a few miles north and get a much larger ($4000) incentive from New Jersey or New York dealers.[/QUOTE]

Most of us doubt there will be an upgrade to older models. You never know but don't hold your breath. You would like to think Toyota will move this direction in the future and Entune 3.0 shows promise but right now it looks like you will have to wait for at least the 2019 Prime before that becomes an option.

In the north east, we've seen a number of people successfully negotiate down from MSRP. Lots of posts in the prices thread showing a total of $5000-$6000 reduction when you factor in both Toyota incentives and dealer deals. This is before state and federal incentives. Don't be shy and do your shopping...The deals are out there but you may need to travel a bit to find them.

6. chazman113

chazman113 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Good tip, I'll have to do some calling around. I'm in lower delaware but could take a ferry ride to the jersey shore pretty easily. Maybe I'll see snooki.

You said forget the first quarter, do you mean if I buy this month, I'm pretty much safe, barring any idiocy from DC?

I guess I can get over it if I get the right price. Will it atleast save the last configuration on the main screen? I don't want to have to look at a tom-tom from 2010 every time I start it up.

One last question.... If I leave it plugged in at night, and it's very cold out (lets say teens), will the remote climate control be able to heat her up successfully? I know it has some sort of heat pump system.

Thanks for replies.

bisco likes this.
  7. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    TMC and all other manufacturers of PHEV's have a limit of 200,000 units before phasing out federal tax credits. We are a long way away from this number. Read other threads concerning this issue. Yes, the remote climate control will operate if you set system before turning off vehicle.

8. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to get one in NJ for not more than $500 over invoice minus the $4000 for Toyota.
    This thread and post will give you an idea of what people are paying at dealers in NY/NJ
    2017 Prius Prime - official prices paid thread | Page 50 | PriusChat

NJ has an excellent rail/bus network. I think I can get close to any dealer I might buy from. Close enough that they probably have courtesy shuttles to pick you up. I know they do this in Baltimore and DC. I would be coming from BWI airport via Amtrack to Trenton to where ever in NJ or NYC area. It's doable.

Check these links to see what might work for you.
    http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf
    SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map
    DART First State - Transit Maps

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    iirc, preheating the cabin isn't very effective, and optional remote start has a few issues as well.
    i think your best bet is to preheat, and suck it up for a few minutes while driving until the cabin warms.
    if you want to drive ev only, the heat pump is good down to 14f, then you need the engine for heat, which means you have to switch to hv, or it may come on at lower temps anyway.
    all the best!(y)

10. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    you should be able to get them in nj for under list.

Toyota of Morristown has 19 primes and it's on the rail line into the city (accessable from any of the airports, albeit with some transfers)(probably need to uber from the station to the dealer). station is a couple of miles from the dealer

Towne Toyota (where I bought mine) is close to the Hackettstown station (you will need to uber there also).

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But there are various other non-Prius vehicles, including numerous competing hybrids, EVs, and 'other non-hybrid'.