1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

thinking of trading in for Civic Si

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xsmatt81, Oct 27, 2008.

1. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius isn't the answer for everyone. I saw an article that may be the answer to your problem. Honda is coming out with the "CR-Z" it is a two-seat gasoline/electric hybrid sports car. Honda expects to bring it to the U.S. market in 2010(if you can wait).

2. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As an alternative, you could always customize your Prius a little if you're bored with it (if you haven't already). I had a plain-looking 2000 Dodge Stratus that I fixed up and customized a bit (no "over-bling") that made it look new and unique until such time that I had to get rid of it. It's cheaper than trading for a new car and gives you something to do with your current vehicle to renew a little interest in it.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

E.g., the people here who have put all of TOMs braces on their Prius suggest that their Prius now handles almost as well as a Mini.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see that someone already suggested a motorcycle. Nevermind.

5. Neddleton

Neddleton Yacht Club Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Three miles to work, RUN to work. You will live longer, sell the car and buy a sailboat. Wind is free! Joking aside get something fun or even a clunker, spending this kind of money to save money is not going to work if you drive as little as you do. The car will rot before it is worn out. I bought mine to make a conscious effort to live a Greener life and drive it until the wheels fall off in under five years.

Neddleton

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That was exactly the problem I had with my WRX (Saab 92X technically). At 2500 rpm it was probably slower than the Prius. At 5000 rpm, it was a lot of fun. On the highway I'd almost always keep it in 4th even around 70-75mph, as in 5th there was no power on demand. You definitely don't get EPA if you live entirely between 4000 and 7000 rpm. Driving it so as to get EPA or better completely negated any fun to be had in the car. I loved the WRX, but couldn't live with the mileage and emissions any more. Trying to drive it sensibly made it less fun than the Prius for no where near the benefit, so we sold it. Finding out the 30,000 mile service was $800 was another nail in the coffin. If you need the adrenaline fix every once and a while I think you're much better off with a bike or a project track car to run on the weekends. There's definitely something therapeutic about wrenching on your own machine, and then taking it out and thrashing it once and a while :)

Rob

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might consider a small project sports car (MG or Triumph for example) that is a 2 seater convertible. Something to rev up, and drive on a sunny weekend with abandon. TR6, I'm thinking......

Of course, you need to have spare $$$ to buy the vehicle, continually work on it, insure it, etc etc etc.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want even more excitement, get married then tell your wife while being intimate together that her sister is better in bed than she is and hang on!!

How can you be bored with a car you only drive 6 miles a day?
    Sell private, buy an old collectable sports car.

9. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    lots of good ideas guys. The new honda hybrid sounds really nice, but I bet it will cost too much.

Probably will end up getting a motorbike here in a few months. I really enjoy the style of cruisers. I like sport bikes, but they just are to darn peppy.

my roomate I believe had a Honda CBR 600 something. Not the best or anything, but plenty fast. I got on it and have little experience on bikes, before I knew it I was doing nearly 60 in first gear and over reving..switched to second..boom almost 80...no thanks. I like power, but in cars! To scary on two wheels.

will need to get permit, and take the training classes

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Bicycle to work. You're so close and it will be the best thing for your health in the long run.

Then for your fun vehicle for weekends, buy a motorcycle or a used older sports car.

You could get one of these in good shape for about $3 or $4K.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    No, no, no -- the proper advice here is that if you say this, let go and run, as hanging on will likely prove fatal. Even more interesting and dangerous -- make the same comment about her brother...

Seriously though, I can't really say much, since I've "bequeathed" my Prius to my son and bought a TCH, but keep the car, that's really the best choice. Unless, of course, you get a TCH (then selling is OK). The more you trade, the more you lose.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This. :rockon:
    An older S2000 might not be a terrible choice if you wanted a roadster/convertible type, some of the older ones run about $12k.

Good luck with the motorcycle even though I think that if you want a rush, you should go all the way get a sport bike.

There's a list of training programs here:
    Training Sites Across the USA (Motorcycle safety through training and knowledge)
    I was really surprised how relatively inexpensive it was to get trained and licensed even using their loaner bikes. My friend did the lessons and licensing for like $250 total.

If you still want to trade the Prius, I don't think you should settle for anything short of an Elise.