1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of upgrading my speakers

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by cubchan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. cubchan

cubchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the stereo on my prius c 3 but the speakers don't seem to live up to the rest of the car. I've played with the settings enough that I'm pretty sure that I want to do something about it. I just can't get that "car full of sound" feeling without the bass being distorted and the highs piercing my eardrums. It sounds fine at a normal listening level but if the windows are down I can only turn it up high enough to be audible and can never make it to a rocking out volume.

My biggest fear is that it it's the speaker placement and an upgrade will only do so much.

Any opinions? Would just buying some quality speakers do the trick? Maybe an amp?

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the main crutch of most stock audio systems, unfortunately, are not the speakers.

3. Daze

Daze Prius C Owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Once I pic up my Prius c 3, im gonna install a 10 inch alpine type r subwoofer. Maybe you should look into installing a small subwoofer if you want a more filling audio experience.

4. BrunoPuntzJones

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    What he said. Headunits are usually by far the hindrance in the system.

5. cubchan

cubchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I was thinking today that a small sub would probably do the trick.

6. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Please post if you find a head unit harness for the C2; C3 & 4s integrate the car with the in-dash system to a great extent so changing out those units may be more difficult than anticipated... In fact crutchfield specifically warned against doing it when I called them to inquire, though they did not have any info on the C1/C2 harness availability.

As for the Sub, I'm thinking of placing where the spare tire is.

7. MattO

MattO New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I haven't got my C yet (still tossing up be tween the C2 or C3), but one of the first things I will be doing is replacing all the speakers.
    From my experience the speakers on most relatively cheapish cars are pieces of crap. Most people aren't concerned with sound quality, but I am.

8. cpfans4

cpfans4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know if the wiring is installed in the c1 for the rear speakers? If they are I can easily install new speakers but I don't want to run wires in a new car.

9. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to re-illiterate the post I posted above..
    if you're really concerned about sound quality.. the FIRST thing you should do is NOT replace the speakers... because speakers should be the SECOND thing.

if you're really an audiophile... you would know what I'm talking about... but hey.. in the end, you can do whatever you like. i'm jut saying that replacing the speakers first will only help so much..

brief and true story.. friend with upgraded speakers complains to me that my system sounds better.. and asks me what speakers I used..

i told him i was still using the stock speakers.. as i only replaced the headunit... he didn't.

10. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    This is generally quite accurate, though the quality of the stock speakers, just like quality of stock head units, can vary greatly... Unfortunately we cannot replace the head units until a dash kit/wire harness comes out. I'm wondering if the c1/2 have a built-in amp I'll have to bypass. Seems like all new cars have one these days. Then again, I haven't heard a stock sound system sound this bad since my 90' F-150

11. cubchan

cubchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With my C3 I don't think I could bring myself to replace the head unit. I think the speakers are alright, I actually didn't know that satellite radio was a lower bitrate and I was basing my opinion on that. I typically don't like bluetooth audio because it sounds too flat but at higher volumes it sounds better than XM. I think I've found the USB connection is best.

Still going to do the sub just for the extra boost.

12. Daze

Daze Prius C Owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When you install your sub, do you think you could post pictures of the install? I'm going to be installing one as well, but I need to find out how to dismantle the dash and get to the back of the entune head unit. Is there a manual on how to do this?

13. cubchan

cubchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea and frankly it scares the heck out of me. I want to do it on my own just to make sure everything is taken care of but being such a new car I'm not sure there is a "best" way to do it yet. I've also thought about a having a higher end audio electronics shop do it. They would have more experience with prius's and would have more insight than I do.

14. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota has been using the same wiring harness for over the past uhh... 25 years? hooking up the stereo has and will never be a problem.. your speakers will work, and the aftermarket headunit will operate..

however it's getting the OEM aux/USB as well as everything else integrated (like the steering wheel controls).. will take a little bit more effort... and then yes.. there's no dash kit for it quite yet.. but nothing can stop someone from just fabbing one up.

as i'm actually typing this, i'm helping to install a Pioneer Avic-X940BT into my friend's Prius C... and already, the sound quality has DRAMATICALLY improved.. further proving my point that it's not the stock speakers that are the hindrance in an audio system.

to take out the radio? the panels literally just pull apart. the main plastic panel piece surrounding the radio? that's all you need to yank out.. really... nothing hard.. nothing complicated. (ok, you have to disconnect the plug that goes to the hazard button.. but seriously.. that's it)..

remove 4 screws holding the radio in, and disconnect plugs.. and it's out.

3 people like this.
  15. crel0x

crel0x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to purchase a Prius C in the next couple weeks hopefully and that is the exact head unit I would love to have in the car. I am trying to decide between trim 2 and 3 - do you know if that would matter in replacing the head unit (replacing the 1/2 radio versus the 3/4 nav unit)? Basically I just wanted trim 3 for the smart key functionality - is there a way to get just that option on trim 2?

16. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    there's no practical way for you to add options like the smart key into a lower trim model.. getting the package 3 and replacing your headunit will cause you to lose all the integration from the car into the stock navi unit... they obviously won't be connected to the aftermarket unit.

it's pretty much your decision whether or not it's worth purchasing the package 3 for the sole reasons of the smart key.. and knowing full well that in replacing your stock headunit, you'll lose that interface.

both the navi unit in the package 3-4, and the regular headunit in the 1-2 are in the very end.. the same EXACT SIZE... they all fill in the big space in the plastic panel piece surrounding the radio... without a dash kit currently in production, you'll need to fab something up to fill that space.

also, when mounting an aftermarket unit the stock brackets, the headunit sits back a little bit.. (which some people find nice, where other people find it a little odd looking).. i'll try to get picture up of the end result of the install from last night on the avic later.

2 people like this.
  17. crel0x

crel0x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks man looking forward to those pics

1 person likes this.
  18. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I include the steering wheel adapter as being part of the wiring harness, though I guess they technically are different. From your experience are these also generally the same between various Toyota models?

Also, when you installed the pioneer into your friend's C did you notice if the usb is simply a pass through that plugs into the back of the stock head unit or is it hard wired into the head? A pass through style would be great as the existing port could still be used, otherwise it's a bit more work.

19. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the joy of wires.. you should be able to tell from the picture that the plastic panel piece surrounding the radio is removable. that's the only piece you really need to take out before you can access the radio.

[​IMG]

with a cut out MDF piece fabbed up and covered with fabric to cover the empty space.. (until a better looking dash kit comes out.. or i might just leave it as is..)
    [​IMG]

as far as the USB connection.. it's not a simple pass thru... the usb connector into the stock headunit is completely different.. you can splice something in to be able to use the aux and usb port.. but there's nothing that's a simple plug and play that i know of... so yeah, it's a bit more work.

4 people like this.
  20. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Squall, were you able to hook up the bluetooth steering wheel controls to the aftermarket head unit?