1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinning the key fob.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by esoniat, Jan 4, 2012.

1. esoniat

esoniat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I seldom if ever take my key fob out and actually touch it. It stays in my wallet as a big lump. It would be really nice if I could trim the thing down, do away with existing case and buttons and generally thin it down. It would be easy enough to do the basics but it will probably need something to keep the circuit board ridged and clean.

Has anybody done anything like this. It would seem to me if toyota wanted to they could make a simple key that was just a slip of a card for those of us who don't need the buttons.

The last part is the abandonment of or a reworking of the emergency mechanical key for the door, but I was thinking that could be handled with a mechanical magnetic box concealed on the cars exterior.

Any body have experience with this?

And I did do a search of the forums so if I missed the thread please point the way.

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i ran mine thru the band saw. took off the front on pass one and the back on pass two. then i dipped it in plasticoate. when the battery needs replacing, i'll have to recoat it. if i were to do it again, i might try a meat slicer. fewer shavings.