1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third Brake Light replaced but not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by craigspofford, Jan 23, 2017.

1. craigspofford

craigspofford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought my Prius about one month ago. Prior owner bought with salvage title with 17,000 miles. Bought from him with 120,000. Car runs well. Third brake light was out. I didn't get specific enough with him as to how long it had been out. For quite some time - maybe since purchase?
    At any rate, I just replaced with a new one that is not working either.

Reasonably sure fuses are good since everything seems to be tied together.

Any other ideas?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you checked the electrical connector for presence of 12V?

Also, what does reasonably sure fuse is good mean? You need to know that it is definitely good. The above check is again your first step. If you do not have 12V present at the connector then pull the fuse and verify. If fuse is good then start verifying wiring and connectors back to the fuse source.

If you are not electrically knowledgeable you will need to take it to your trusted mechanic.

3. craigspofford

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks - I just meant the fuse that I believe this light is on is in good working order. I pulled all tail light and stop light fuses and they were all good - plus all other lights associated with those fuses are working.

4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Take voltmeter and ar connector for 12 V when brake is pressed...you will need to have someone holding on brake and ignition on....
    Second thing to make sure you have right part and it is working use test cables to see if new part is working...another thing if it is led light make sure polarity is in right order otherwise led will not function....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

craigspofford likes this.
  5. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Led light will flow current only one way so if you make mistake not knowing wich is hot and ground there will not be any harm..just reverse wires to with some source 12 V...car battery and two peace of wire will do the job

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The high stop light is on the same fuse and switch as the other two stop lights. If 12 V checks good at the light connector, check the chassis ground (center of back door panel per my diagram). My wiring diagram also shows a noise filter in series with only the high light. If no 12 V, look for that filter on the wiring harness in the rear luggage area--should be a light blue wire.

The stop lights are LEDs, so polarity is important, as noted.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm very familiar with the wiring of that circuit. After I got rear ended twice I put a motorcycle blinker on that third light only. So when you apply the brakes the brake tail lights lights come on as usual but the 3rd brake light flashes as many times as you like. You can set it, I have mine set to 5 times.
    Very noticeable now when braking, Haven't been hit since and it's been 5 years.
    Anyway on the back side of the hatch there's flimsy black plastic covers.
    Take the top and bottom cover off and see if the wiring has been chopped up from prior accident. The covers just snap off. The brake 12 volt send comes in through the top center rubber protective tube. It's a blue wire. Goes through a plug then to the led third light. Unplug that plug with the blue wire and check for 12 volts when brake pushed there.
    If 12 there to ground check the light ground point which is white wire with black stripe screws to hatch door frame right above license plate.

If no 12 on blue wire oh boy. It gets busy as it goes to junction connector in the trunk after going through noise filter n5 mounted above drivers brake tail light.

craigspofford and m.wynn like this.
  8. craigspofford

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Still nothing yet. Just tore it all apart today and testing things. I am struggling to test with my volt meter (using multimeter set to DCV lowest setting.) I can make this work on a regular lamp, but not sure how to test on a plug harness?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Attach the black lead of the DVM to the hatch body which is grounded and using the red lead and DVM set to D.C. Volts probe the blue wire.
    It's on a plug right after it passes thru the rubber bellows. Unplug the connector and probe the blue wire on the car side for 12 volts D.C. When u apply the brake. No one to help you set up the DVM so you can see it you turn around in the drivers seat.
    If u have 12 coming in to the hatch area thats good that means the problem is right there on the hatch probably the led assy is bad on the third light.

10. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't use the lowest setting. You're looking for 12V, and most meters have a 20V range. Be sure you're set to DC, not AC. Test the meter at a known hot point, like the 12V battery terminal or the jump terminal in the fuse box under the hood.

11. craigspofford

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ok - I figured out the testing of the plug... Not hard. Just had never done that.

12. craigspofford

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for your feedback - you all are very helpful!
    So here's what I know now.
    The blue line from before the hatch is not working. All the others in the assembly are. So I am assuming the problem is before the hatchback. Any thoughts on how to trace that? You all have helped a lot so far. One thing's for sure. I can tear out the cover on that hatch now.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't needed to do this, but the basic concept is that you would remove the hatch lining trim so that you can see the wiring harness as it runs along the rear of the body, towards the hatch. Find where the blue wire joins up with the blue wires that run to the two tail light assemblies. That will likely be the source of your problem.

If you want to probe a wire and there is no convenient terminal to probe, use a thin needle to gently pierce the wire insulation so that you can measure the presence of voltage on that wire (by using the needle as a probe).

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clearly this is the result of whatever accident the car had for its salvage title.
    This whack a mole will probably continue with other issues.
    Buying a salvage title with little experience with tools will be very difficult.

Where was the car hit my guess drivers side rear?

Go to Toyota tech info.com and buy a 1 day subscription and get your printer ready for a workout. You can print out any parts of the service manual you need.

The brake 12 hits a junction connector in the hatch inside the tire well
    Right below the hatch lock. A wire then goes from that junction to the drivers side rear light area up high to a noise filter. It will have 3 wires in it. One in
    A ground wire and a blue wire. Guess where the blue wire goes?

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Btw it is imperative u get that third light fixed as this car is a rear end collision magnet. It won't last long without that light.

16. craigspofford

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks! I will get those downloads and keep digging. I don't know much about the accident unfortunately. Just that the previous owner had the car since 17,000 miles (first owner post accident) and sold at 120,000. Which was why I assumed the third light out was the light itself at first. I couldn't imagine that he had let the third light go for all that time.
    I'll check back and let you know how it goes.

17. craigspofford

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks to everyone who chipped in! Finally ended up running a new line from the noise reduction junction when I found it and determined it had power to that point. I am thinking about the modulator I heard about on this thread. Any ideas as to what to buy? File Feb 04, 9 24 58 PM.jpeg

Patrick Wong likes this.