1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third day with new car, dead 12V battery, second day in a row :(

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mountaineer, Jul 30, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Now, that is a lot better.

I went through the checkout to see the shipping charges, and they said that this item was not shippable, probably because it is hazardous material. So, you can't get it online at a discounted price.

Moreover, it is a standard battery. It is not an enhanced flooded-cell battery (EFB). Therefore, it is no different than any DIN H4 battery you could buy at an auto store. It is made by Varta as well as Exide if not more OEM manufacturers.

Car Battery 12V 51Ah/52Ah Škoda 000915089C

Batería Economy ‘51Ah-12V’ ORIGINAL VW SEAT SKODA AUDI, 000915105DC 000915089C | Tienda de recambios wagenparts.com

Given that it is neither EFB nor AGM and I can't get a discount on it because it is not shippable, I will pass. Why deal with a Volkswagen dealer to get a standard DIN H4 battery you can get at every store? Besides, you won't see what you will be getting when you place the special, unreturnable order at the Volkswagen dealer. It is not to mention that it would look odd to have a Volkswagen-labeled OEM battery in a Toyota. People might think that you got it at a junkyard when you sell your car.

As I said, I am planning to get an ACDelco LN1 AGM from RockAuto.

#181 Gokhan, Sep 6, 2024 at 2:29 PM
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2024 at 2:38 PM
  2. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok, you’re not arguing? I put the part number on the post. I still don’t know what all this outrage is about. I didn’t make anything up. Do whatever you want. I will probably call an Audi or VW local dealer if I need a battery just to see, but it will be at list price or more the way these guys are here. Also a Chevy dealer to see about a Delco. Maybe some other makes. Since I have a battery monitor, my battery isn’t going to be going low if I have any say about it.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't know what outrage you are talking about. You made incomplete/inaccurate claims, and I asked for more information. The price ($72) you posted didn't exist, and they are not available to ship even at higher discounted prices @Trollbait kindly quoted because it is hazardous material. We have been talking about batteries, but you seem to easily get offended and lash about instead of exchanging information.

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good choice on the Delco in my opinion. Seems like an upgrade from the Walmart. No love for the True Start I guess?

Gokhan likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota TrueStart is also a standard flooded battery, not an enhanced flooded-cell battery (EFB). It is not to mention that it is probably expensive. So, I want to upgrade to an AGM battery. An EFB doesn't seem to exist in the EN LN1 size in the US aftermarket. However, the newer Volkswagen OEM EN LN1 batteries could be EFBs, but you would have to take a chance on whether they are and deal with the Volkswagen dealers. Nevertheless, an AGM battery is probably a better choice for a Prius than an EFB anyway.

#185 Gokhan, Sep 6, 2024 at 3:18 PM
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2024 at 3:37 PM