1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third day with new car, dead 12V battery, second day in a row :(

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mountaineer, Jul 30, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Approximate Pseudonym

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Six month update: no further issues at 4,810 miles, since March 14 12v warranty replacement.

A dealer replacement of the faulty battery completely fixed my problem.

Gokhan and bisco like this.
  2. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Another benefit to using a battery monitor is to observe how battery chargers actually work. I have a few different chargers, none are the same.
    Actually I am a bit surprised you come up with these things. I erased everything else I wrote.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not sure what you meant by that, but what I said was that the 88% SOC shown in your previous post was incorrect because it should be 99% at 12.63 V for an open-circuit and rested flooded-cell. It could be that the monitor was calibrated for an AGM battery or is making some wrong assumptions. I also said that your monitor has no way of knowing whether the battery is being charged or not (because it is not measuring the current). So, I am pretty sure your conclusion that the battery only (or mostly) charges when you put the car in park is incorrect, and what you are seeing is an artifact of the monitor caused by small changes in the DC–DC converter voltage.

#203 Gokhan, Sep 10, 2024 at 8:40 PM
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2024 at 8:45 PM
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So, what is the troubleshooting procedure?