1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third Gen Prius Surging on Highway in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hybridbear, Jan 1, 2014.

1. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I read lots of other threads about Gen 2 Prii surging (here and here) which seem to be similar to what we experienced last night. However, I didn't find any threads about something like this happening with Gen 3.

The outside temp was about -10F, the ICE was warm with a coolant temp of about 185F thanks to grille blocking. We were driving on the freeway at about 55-60 MPH when the car started surging. The Energy Monitor screen would show the arrows going back and forth between charging the HVB and using power from the HVB. Each surge would last about 1 sec. The speedometer didn't change during the surging periods but it was very noticeable inside the car. My ScanGauge would show the amps to the HVB rapidly alternating with each pulse. The surge would show about 20 amps flowing from the HVB to the electric motor. Then the drag portion would show about 20-25 amps flowing from the motor to the HVB. The SGII amp reading corresponded with the shift in the arrows on the Energy Monitor screen.

I didn't have RPM up on my SGII but there was no noticeable change in RPM during these surges. I had HP, LOD, WT and AMPS. There was no change in HP or LOD during the surges which leads me to be confident that the RPM wasn't changing.

The car seemed to be confused about what to do with the battery. At the time the HVB temp was <15F according to the ScanGauge.

Normally driving on the freeway like this the HVB would be basically disconnected. Usually I'll just see the Energy Monitor showing the ICE connected to the wheels and occasional flow to or from the HVB. During the surging stretch the flow to the HVB was constant.

The surging happened both using cruise control and driving with my foot.

I tried speeding up and the surging continued once I settled in at a higher speed (65 MPH). I tried slowing down and the surging continued once I settled in at a lower speed (50 MPH). I slowed down enough that the ICE shut off and then accelerated back up to freeway speed and the surging immediately returned.

The surging only seemed to happen when the ICE was producing 15-20 HP according to the SGII. If I pressed the pedal more to accelerate the pulsing went away. If I let off the pedal and power demand dropped below the center line on the dash then the surging stopped.

Based on the PSD simulation here I don't quite understand what was happening with MG1, MG2, the ICE and the PSD during these surges. Before I do anything with the dealer, I would like to understand what was going on with the PSD. I have yet to find a competent dealer for any brand of car so I don't have high expectations for getting help from a dealer...

Once we got off the freeway and were in the city the ICE didn't seem to pulse at the same HP output, although in the city it's rare to drive with that level of load on the ICE. I usually either am accelerating up close to the PWR area or am coasting in EV Mode.

Our Prius has just over 4000 miles on it, we got it in Sept 2013. As you can see on the left, it's the Persona with the 17-inch wheels. I doubt the wheels have anything to do with it but I want to share all possibly relevant information.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Water in the fuel? It freezes in the fuel line starving the engine. The hybrid system would compensate with the electric motor. It's common that it would only show up on the highway at first. If nothing is done about it (gasline antifreeze which is usually isopropyl alcohol added to tank) eventually the ice will completely block the fuel line and the engine won't start. When I suspect this problem I will add a litre to the tank then fill it with fuel. So one litre to 40 litres approximately.

It may be your last fillup was at a station with a perforated underground fuel tank. It's rare these days but can still happen.

HaroldW likes this.
  3. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Interesting idea, but how does that explain why the surging went away at different RPMs? It's also been colder than the temp last night on this tank of gas without issues. Current tank level is just under half. Next week we're supposed to see -22F (-30C) so we'll see how the car does then. It's parked underground in a warm garage at our apartment so each morning the temp is about 60F when starting out in the winter.

If it is water in the fuel I would expect to see this issue show up on our FFH then too. I filled both cars at the same time last week from the same gas station. The FFH hasn't been driven in a few days, but I'll be using it today. Tomorrow will be interesting to see after it sits during the day at work with the high temp predicted of -3F tomorrow.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I assume the HV batt SOC was not low forcing ICE to to work harder? That's the only thing we see , when the SOC goes down to 2 purple bars (Gen2) the ICE starts screaming on the highway.

5. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good idea, but no. SOC was high. The Gen 3 gets loud when charging too, but this is rare. And it doesn't pulsate when charging.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your description is very thorough, and this doesn't seem normal. And you're car's near new. Get in touch with your dealership, either print out or email them this?

hybridbear likes this.
  7. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It almost sounds like the rubber banding I used to experience in loaner Lexus HS250s. Every time the electric motor kicked in to assist at highway cruising (as viewed on the display), I'd feel a surge which would go away when the electric motor shut down.

8. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    But did the Lexus pulse the electric motor in and out?

9. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thank you. I don't drive the Prius often, but I asked my wife to pay attention and see if she notices it. Driving the Fusion this morning with temps of -5F there was no strange behavior from it to indicate bad gas, but that doesn't mean the gas isn't the culprit on the Prius.

Our 5000 "service" (i.e. tire rotation) is coming up in about a month. If the surging continues, I will document future occurrences more thoroughly, perhaps with cell phone video, to be able to show the dealer.

10. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes. The Lexus electric motor would turn on for a while and then off while cruising on the ICE. At least that's what the monitor indicated.

11. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    This would happen in 1 second increments? It's normal for it to come in & out, but not on and off every second like we experienced.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The flow to/from the battery at highway speed is similar to SHM in the Gen 2 Prius (but it doesn't surge in the Gen 2 since the MG1 is already spinning). The IGN IIRC would be sitting at 14? I'll have to go back and check the threads. I do feel a kick when MG1 kicks in (and fuel economy increases) travelling at 50mph and going from SHM to, I suppose, regular highway driving. I see the iFE gauge rise from 2.5-3.0L/100km to 4.5L/100km (the iFE gauge is in 0.5L/100km increments).

I'm wondering if the pulsing is MG1 starting and stopping?

13. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Based on the PSD animation I linked above, MG1 speed is based on ICE RPM. During these pulses, the ICE RPM and vehicle speed were constant. That's what confuses me about what was happening.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmm, I'm stumped. I'll definitely be following this thread as I'm curious what the outcome is.

15. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The surging has not repeated itself in the past two weeks. Hopefully this was just a one-time software glitch and it won't happen again.

16. anixon92

anixon92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    did any body figure the surging out. I just brought a 2012 46000miles and I felt the surging the second day I had it, and its still doing it. waiting to get it in dealers garage. all I know is if I traveling 50mph I can feel surge and watching the gauge for mpg 0-100 its at 50 and will drop to about 35 and then back up to 50. its only about 2-3 seconds and then repeats again. don't ask me about the different gauges because I have not figured them out yet. I had it today at work in a big parking lot soild ice at 20mph and it was doing it and you could feel the front wheels slipping on ice.

17. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Our surging has not presented itself again. The past few days have been similarly cold again and next week is supposed to be all below 0F so it might happen again. What was the air temp when your surging happened?

18. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also had this happen to me this morning. I don't have a SG - but what I have noticed in the past (normal behavior) is that if I keep the HSI at the center bar at highway speed, the car will slowly decelerate, all the while the MPG gauge is up at 100mpg (looking as though it's in EV mode, even though I know the ICE is running). I generally use that as a "modified glide" in an attempt to simulate pulse and glide at highway speed.

As I said, normally, if I peg the HSI at the center bar, the mpg stays maxed out at 100mpg.

Today, at about 7degrees F - this same attempt to hold the HSI at the center bar would result in a surging, which I could feel, and also see that the mpg gauge would be "surging". That is, if I held throttle at the halfway line on HSI, I could feel surging, and see the mpg gauge dropping and returning to 100 mpg in time with the surging.

I've got a 2010 Prius III, with about 82,000 miles. So if anyone else has any advice or guidance, I'd love to get some help before going to the dealership and having them play guessing games. (Or just try to tell me that everything is normal).

hybridbear likes this.
  19. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I best guess is that the HVB temperature is very low, the current pulsing is trying to warm up the battery.
    Arctic temperature is coming to your region again, it may happen again.

20. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like that suggestion. I hope its true... ;-)