1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third Party HUD (Heads Up Display)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by roguetadhg, Apr 24, 2021.

1. roguetadhg

roguetadhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I just got a prius and one of my major problems with it is that I have to take my eyes off the road to check how fast I'm going.

Are there any third party HUDs that would let me know of the speed?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This poor post is getting cold and lonely. I just saw it.

I went to Amazon and typed "hud" in the search bar and got a bunch of them.
    Amazon.com : hud

But scanning instruments, mirrors, checking farther ahead and nearer are all part of the standard scan every driver should be doing continuously, but clearly are not doing if the number of accidents is any indication. A HUD is very handy, but don't let it lure you into thinking that keeping your eyes straight at all times ahead is safe. ;)

Valiant V and Harters like this.
  3. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The speed display on the Prius is pretty obvious even without the HUD. Would adding one -really- be much of an improvement?

Also - as previous reply mentions - a regular "scan" by the driver of speed, fuel level, warning lights, etc - is part of good driving.

The factory HUD shows only a few items, where the two display screens show a ton of info.

Another factor to consider is that even though the HUD keeps your eyes on the road, it would also cause your eyes to be focused at the distance to the windshield - not out ahead of the at where they should be. If the HUD is in sharp focus, the road and potential dangers ahead will be in blurred focus.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.