1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This car doesn't like me - and the feeling is mutual!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by browercreed, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your first problem is that you think of the car as feminine. So right off the bat, you're jealous that she has some kind of deeper understanding with your hubby. Instead, think of the car as masculine, and I think your outlook will improve. :D

2. browercreed

browercreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    hey - you may have something here. most ppl on here call their car their baby and i'm not sure
    i ever thought of it as a baby. need to start thinking masculine though huh??? if this works i'll
    let you know.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just keep your eye on the gear shift "knob." Everything will be OK.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying too hard will hurt your mpg, for sure.
    Just drive it. Really. Let your DH feel smug over getting better mileage... you and I will both know that you could do as well, if you drove as much! :)

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd have to agree. The only real reason to push the mileage higher is if you get enjoyment out of doing so. The amount of extra gas you use at 48 mpg vs. 52mpg is 24 gallons per year if you drive 15,000 miles. If you just get frustrated by the car and end up driving your RX300, you'll waste a whole lot more gas than that. You'd be doing well to get 22-23mpg, the EPA combined is 18mpg. At 22mpg you'd use 370 more gallons than "only" getting 48mpg in the Prius.

I say just drive it and learn to love it. Then worry about learning to drive it better if you want to. I give my wife kind of a hard time too, but its mostly all in fun. We just like the car for different reasons. She likes that its roomy and efficient with little effort. I like the technology and like to try and optimize everything. Just tell him to be quiet and let you drive, quote the numbers above back to him if you gives you any lip ;)

Rob

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is sensible. Enjoy!