1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

this dealer mainly had touring Priuses ! test drove one...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pola, May 3, 2007.

1. pola

pola New Member

Soon i will visit some other dealerships.
    I think this dealer was unusual, since they mainly had touring Priuses... he said they were popular.

I test drove a touring Prius, but the ride felt a little smoother on the regular Prius.....
    the touring did have a slightly more responsive steering feel.

They said if you want extended warranty, plus the Extra Mile option, it costs more.

They said the only way to get Nav. was to get a package # 6 regular Prius... and that will cost more.
    ????? my head is spinning with info. overload right now.
    I feel like staying with my paid for Volvo at the moment, but I loved the new Prius, and driving it was great.

Maybe i should try to sell my Volvo myself first instead of trading it in...

Thanks !

pola

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    May I suggest you go to the Prius web site and "build your own"? This will give you a feeling for the options and packages available in your area, based on zip code.

Each region has their own choice of packages, and only use the prices from the web site as the MSRP, not the dealer's price. Call or email other dealers when you can tell them exactly what you want. I think you can even ask for quotes from the Prius site.

I have a 2007 non-touring package 5 NL. It has everything but No Leather.

Welcome to PriusChat, pola!

3. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 3 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]434596[/snapback]</div>

4. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 2 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]434571[/snapback]</div>
    It depends on the location. Some places in the Seattle area NEVER carry the Tour version. Other's have mostly Touring. It's partly due to have well the area is doing financially (meaning average income of area).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 2 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]434571[/snapback]</div>
    Some of us feel that the non Touring Prii feel very wallowy and tippy and very unresponsive and ... WAY to soft. Note that I'm not somebody that races around. I just don't like feeling like my car is tipping over when I go around corners. That's a little exagerated but I drive both and Definitely (my wife too) prefered the Touring model.

EVERYthing that isn't standard costs extra. It is no different for any other vehicle.

Again, anything that isn't standard costs more. It's just happens that the nav is only available on the most expensive model.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does anyone know how the handling of the Prius, both regular and touring versions, compare to the hybrid Camry? I have been considering buying a Camry but I can't get a good feel for the handling because it seems to scare the salesman. From what I can tell it seems better than my '05 Prius non-touring which has a BT plate and wider tires (205/60-15).

6. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Camry will drive better and probably track down the road easier as well.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy pola... and WELCOME to PriusChat, a great source of accurate, real-world Prius info.

Bill's advice was right on target! It's not difficult to log on to toyota.com and 'build your toyota' to determine exactly what is included in which 'packages' and 'options.' If I recall correctly, the NAVigation system is also available in the Package 5, but snoop around to get current accurate info.

The Package 6 (which I have) is the "loaded" and the "Extra Mile Option" adds about all you can get on a Prius. I made my trade from my 2004 Prius last November when the Touring Editions were just beginning to arrive in Texas. I did my homework by checking various Texas dealers to determine what they had in stock and on the way. I also drove both a 'Standard' and 'Touring' 2007 to compare even though I had over 2 years in my 2004 Prius. I went for the Package 6 since I wanted factory-installed leather instead of port-installed. We had check the port installed and didn't care for the thin "Liquicell Comfort" pads installed under the leather at the port - felt lumpy. Also the factory leather included the leather-wrapped steering wheel. I can't comment on your San Antonio dealer's pricing, but at the time I traded there was only $270 difference in MSRP for the "Standard" versus the "Touring." I considered that an incidental amount considering the larger rims and argueably better tires. We now have 3,300 miles on our '07 Touring Prius and like the firmer suspension which seems to be a little steadier on the highway and leans less on curves and turns than our 2004 Prius did. The only modifications I have made are the "Exact Mats" (plastic like an office chair mat) and a stubby antenna for carwash convenience. I also carry a 12-volt minicompressor and professional quality analog tire gauge. All these were transferred from my 2004 Prius.

Free advice (and worth every penny it costs you :lol: ): The Owner's Manual has a great deal of useful information even though it's not easy reading. I took a highlighter to mark useful info. and made my own "Index" on blank pages in the back. PriusChat members can provide much helpful information not to be found in the manual. There's also another "Manual" written by John and available on the link below - go to "Prius Info - User Guide H" This can also be a great source for info before you get your Prius.

http://john1701a.com/

Remember, there are NO DUMB QUESTIONS... so ask away, PriusChat folks will help.

8. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ May 3 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]434705[/snapback]</div>
    THANKS very much for your answers... very helpful . i did like the touring feel and responsiveness, but wondered if it was my imagination whether it was a less smooth ride. ??
    I take it that you don't notice any difference in the smoothness of the ride with your touring ?
    Thanks again,
    all the best,
    pola

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 3 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]434815[/snapback]</div>

THANKS, Charles, very helpful indeed ! So you don't notice any difference in the smoothness of your ride in the touring vs. the non-touring ? Maybe I need to reconsider. Plus the leather wrapped steering wheel would be nice... but package 6 will take the price up to about 28K... oh well, THANKS again,
    all the best, pola