1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

THIS is how you advertise the Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jun 1, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tommy Chong- BEAUTIFUL Pri - and Toyota could really take a lesson in marketing from him;

[​IMG]

We all know what sells - whether a fuel guzzler or a sipper.

2. Megan2044

Megan2044 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I laughed so hard looking at the japanese guy with the sushi. The ads have always been weird. Love the SE concept.

3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The making of the Prius family commercial with that conglomeration of "dancers" morphing into some sort of human form has me ready to wash my eyes out once I can find something strong enough to burn the image out of my head! I didn't just see that as creative genius, did I?

One would hope some of those dancers did not just leave Taco Bell prior to shooting especially since some folks were closer than I'd want to be to any stranger... and the results after such a meal counts as harmful emissions in my book... shudder!

The straightforward commercials are much better. Keep it simple and the car does the rest. I still cringe when I hear the "Hum" song but that is mild compared to what I just witnessed...

Dancers... Taco Bell... or worse, breakfast at McDonalds after a night of beers and hot dogs prior to working that commercial... bad, bad, BAD visual. Gag!:ROFLMAO:

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, I just watched Nissan's latest EV commercial. Normally I don't think much of their marketing either . . . but this time? Man, Toyota needs to grab a pen, and take notes!

OceanEyes likes this.
  5. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed! Much better and very impressive when the Leaf became a generator... especially since I have a nor'easter due here tomorrow night and am not looking forward to hauling the generator out again after a week without power, water or heat....

6. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here's my take on Prius advertising:

Robert Holt likes this.
  7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My blood sugar levels go up three hundred points every times I see that "Hum" ad...:eek: but loved the racing segment... I have only seen NASCAR races but would love to know more about that beautiful machine that won!!!
    After watching that I don't need a cup of coffee....

8. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OceanEyes, here's where to find out more about the TS030 hybrid racing effort News – TOYOTA Racing - FIA World Endurance Championship Team. The car has won three races this year (its first), and has kicked Audi butt each time. I'm very much looking forward to next season, and hoping the TS030 will make an appearance at Sebring in March. Have to keep us North American Toyota fans happy! :)

OceanEyes likes this.
  9. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the link! I know where I will be lurking after chores!!!:D

10. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I really find it hard to understand why Toyota doesn't publicize the success of the TS030 in its advertising. If I worked for Toyota, the point I'd be making is that the TS030 is a cousin of the Prius and is out there racing to improve the hybrid technology (and kicking Audi butt!) so that future generations of Prius and other Toyota hybrids can be even better. And it would bring a bit of cool factor to the Prius which it sadly lacks now (partly, I'm sure, because of the ads) and causes the mass of the population to write the Prius off as a car only elitist Hollywood greenies and enviro-nerds would buy. That drives me crazy!!

OceanEyes likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    oh I understand perfectly well. Toyota has a method by which they invariably solicit the same class of people ( or at least 90%) to partake in their marketing research. I've been invited to those group but I'm the other 10%. Believe it or not there are a good amount of people that go for the creepy creepy when it comes to advertising. Somehow Toyota knows where to find them.

SGH-I717R ? 2

OceanEyes likes this.
  12. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it were solely on commercials that I bought a car it would not have been Toyota's commercials... back in the late 80s when they were marketing that "Oh what a feeling" with a jump in the air I was looking at a Tercel, test drove it and when the salesman was prattling on what a "great" car it was, I went behind him and did a mock of the "air jump." My now ex started choking and I had to pretend I was looking at another car when the salesman turned to see what made the now ex choke. Oops, not me.

A Ford salesman also got a similar response when he tried to open the F150 book in my face back in the late 80s and said "Can't you see yourself driving this?!" I walked out of the dealership in horror. Don't fit me to a truck/car. It has to fit me.

My Toyota salesman who learned quickly to listen to me as he steered me toward a Prius v ("You have to look at this! So much room!" I blurted out something like, "Aack - I am single! No kids, no dogs! That is NOT what I want/need and I don't like the look!" (No offense to Prius v owners who love their cars - it was just not my need.) He then tried a weak attempt toward a PiP but no follow up phone call on my questions had me back at the dealership in two days saying to the receptionist, "I am here to buy a Prius. Now. Who is available?" The sudden increase in activity level in that showroom was like rats trying to get off a sinking ship and my salesman appeared in a moment when he heard he had a sale waiting in the reception area.

JMHO... let the car/truck do the work! Luckily two Corollas, a number of Tacomas and a Rav4 owned by family members did the brand due diligence for me... I drove the Corollas and loved them, especially when one got my college age son back and forth to Bristol Mountain, Alfred State University and other snow belt regions like a champ and she is still going strong at almost 19 years of age and well over 235K on the odometer!

I have always been a bit of a wise-*** and the Prius commercials are definitely NOT the reason I bought the car - I would cringe in horror at that first flowery acrobat commercial with the white Prius towing a floating sunflower of people that I actually saw on TV ("What the hell is this?!), thank Gawd I never saw "AssFace" or the "Game of Life" other than on YouTube (am permanently scarred from actually watching on my computer and like I said, I need extra insulin after watching the "Hum" commercial on TV).

I actually liked the Prius lines from the Gen III going forward, the gas mileage and friends who had multiple Prii that said, "It's not what you think it is." :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but to sum it up, I got my Prius not because it is "cute." Puppies are "cute." Kittens are "cute."

I wanted a certain kind of performance and got it. Save the odd and artsy commercials and go for the real reason - it is a car that "works" on so many levels.

Off the soapbox for now. Need another swig of Kool Aid and some to share with friends....

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, Toyota's commercials in USA are awful and a waste of money.

Hyundai, on the other hand, flashed inflated MPG numbers on the TV screen and millions came in to buy one.

The exceptions are commercial aired outside USA.

OceanEyes likes this.
  14. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I liked that one!!! Corollas definitely don't break down - my son's former Corolla is a 1994 statement to that. I still miss "the Ripper" as she was affectionately called.

Even the sunflowers in the field were not creepy...

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think VW has been putting out the best US ads recently. Clever, entertaining, but still tell you something about the car.

OceanEyes likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our Moderator Evan is a big fan of RUSH. When I heard one of the more recent VW ad's I quickly imagined Evan doing the same "Neal Peart" drum rift . . . finger spinning the drum sticks and all.

Something about classic rock that always strikes a cord with good auto ad's

OceanEyes likes this.
  17. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OceanEyes, I just checked the Toytota Hybrid Racing website and found out that the team will be racing the TS030 at Sebring (the opening round of the WEC) in March Race Calendar – TOYOTA Racing - FIA World Endurance Championship Team.

It will be very interesting to see how (if?) Toyota US takes advantage of this (to my mind golden) PR opportunity. I reckon they could at least make something like this available for interested Prius owners who are also motor racing fans (like me!). :)

OceanEyes likes this.
  18. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too bad that Toyota doesn't sample what the Prius lovers here like about their cars and how we use them... and it was other Toyota products my family has owned since the 70s that I just fell in line with.

Had dinner with family and friends and we were discussing my car purchase... one friend said you bought what kind of car? Is that one of those "rounded" cars? o_O

A message to Toyota - at PC we have the cars, we are driving them and while I can't speak for all, I love mine with no regrets. No need for butts for noses, flowery scenarios... just sell it for what it is. An attractive, versatile car that gets great gas mileage at the 87 octane, has several different versions for different lifestyles... what more is needed? Just the facts - this car rocks!

19. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts! :)

Our '08 Prius is the best car we've ever owned. It's comfortable, versatile, practical, has lots of handy features etc. Hey, it just works! We'll miss it after the Plug-in arrives, but we'll be handing it on in excellent shape (touch wood!) in the hope that someone else will be able to enjoy it as much as we have and help spread the word.

OceanEyes likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our Prius are certainly durable. I wonder how used Prius are holding out as a percentage of the used car market?

Bob Wilson