1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This is what my tax dollars buy?????

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FL_Prius_Driver, May 29, 2010.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a fan of them, either. But it's reality in many countries - uniforms are usually required in private schools.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes me think of nazi germany.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and i'm not talking khaki pants and blue shirts!

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What is the proper way to handle unleashing thousands of prison inmates in among the 120,000+ refugees? The number kept in jail is only in the thousands out of the 120,000 or so on the boatlift. Even Cuba has violent criminals who should not be let loose just because they didn't get a US trial for a violent crime in Cuba. I'm not being antagonistic, but this situation has probably been handled as well as could be expected as a bureaucratic process. Not very many of the 120,000 are eager to go back.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's actually quite common in many Central American and Caribbean Countries. The "uniforms" are not military style stuff, just basic standard outfits. It gives the kids clothes and shoes in these societies where this cannot be taken for granted. What they are taught in school may be a good discussion topic, but having good clothes to wear is actually a good thing, not a worrisome thing.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep. Not just there. Lots of other places. Typically boys will wear a blazer, maybe a tie, and slacks, all identical; girls will wear a skirt and blouse, also all identical. There will likely be minor differences between schools.

Nobody should be given a lifetime jail sentence in the U.S. without the opportunity to appear before a judge and jury in the U.S. to argue that they are innocent of the charges.

Not only that, but jail is many times worse than prison, and these folks were being held in jail, and I have not heard that anything's changed. For those who do not know, prisons typically (except at the highest security level) provide work, exercise, and opportunity for education, though not all offer the last of those. Jail typically is nothing but cells and a day room, which may or may not have some playing cards and board games and a TV. Exercise may be offered as little as a half hour once a week, or as much as an hour 3 or 4 days a week. It may be an indoor weight room, or it may be a small yard with a basketball and a hoop. You can go bonkers from boredom in jail.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Please believe me when I state that I have no desire to see anyone suffer. Searching for an acceptable answer should never stop. However, your desire, while noble, is rather hard to figure out how it would work in practice. Detainee states: "You have no proof that I killed 2 kids". Prosecutor: "Cuba has not given us anything about this guy (or any other), we only have the testimony of 4 other refugees".

So how does that end? The ideal would be to send him back to Cuba, but can we do that?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cuba won't take them back. That was the deal on the Mariel boat lift: You can leave but you can't come back. And no other country will take them.

Your argument sounds good except for one thing: Why are they denied even the right to appear before a judge? We are used to the idea that you are innocent until proven guilty, and that you have certain legal rights. The fact is that under U.S. immigration law, people charged with "illegal" entry apparently have no rights at all, not even the right to argue before a judge that they did not enter illegally.

What would you think of a special federal police force that had the right to detain you forever without ever bringing formal charges or allowing you to tell a judge, "Hey, Judge, I didn't do it." ? And then on top of holding you forever, they won't even put you in a prison where you can work and get some exercise, but instead they keep you forever in a jail, where you get to go to a weight room or shoot hoops for a half an hour once or twice a week, and you're locked in a cell or day room the rest of the time!

9. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did not say I liked the situation. I don't. What I see is that, for better or worse, the core legal setup is to protect American citizens first and non-citizens second. That's what was done in this case. While it may be morally desirable to treat them as US citizens, it should only be by changing our fundamental policies/institutions with the sanction of the U.S. public. While this somewhat hurts the confined Cubans in this case, I find that it improves our nation and world to keep addressing these questions for the better answer that is permanent.

What I do find encouraging, is that in the background, there are good people working each case individually to improve the situation one person at a time. No body likes to be treated badly and no, I would not want a special police force that could detain me forever. That's one of the nice things about being an American.

While criticizing our handling of the confined refugees, it's only because Cuba WANTS them to be in that situation. So you can't give Cuba primarily good comments and the US primarily bad comments and be totally fair about the entire situation. (How bad were the conditions for the confined detainees prior to the boatlift?)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would probably happen if i entered another country illegally.:cool:

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The flaw in denying basic legal rights to non-citizens is that it sets a precedent for other countries to deny basic legal rights to U.S. citizens when we travel to their countries.

The Cubans on the Mariel boat lift did not really enter the U.S. illegally because President Carter DEMANDED that Castro allow them to leave Cuba. Where else were they to go but here?

Also, please note, that if you were picked up while traveling abroad, and ACCUSED of entering their country illegally, or ACCUSED of being a criminal in your own country, you'd want the right to appear before a judge to explain why the ACCUSATIONS were false. By denying that simple right to the Cubans, we are giving implicit permission for other nations to do the same to our citizens.

Cuba is NOT a perfect country. It's merely the only country in the region that does not leave its own people to starve in the streets; the only country in the region that provides medical care to every person; the only country in the region whose leader does not send a mountain of money to secret bank accounts overseas; the only country in the region where there are no starving children.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First - Thanks for keeping it a constructive conversation. There is an issue of importance where we are seeing different sides.

Second - The finishing point I'll leave at is that I do not support "denying basic legal rights..." I'll make clear again that is not what I'm advocating at all. What I do support is establishing those rights as part of an official ongoing national process. Allowing the "legal right" for a refugee to appear before the judge for a confinement/freedom decision invokes a dangerous situation unless the rules are nationally sanctioned. Letting some really bad criminals go free if we were to follow the US citizen principal of "innocent until proven guilty" ensures letting a few (or maybe a lot of) really bad apples loose because the "proof" is in Cuba. (What other guidelines does the judge follow? He smells innocent? He has a good lawyer? What?--This is where we part paths.)

I clearly understand your point and agree with the same goal. It's just a difference in the prefered way to get there.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is worthwhile noting that the WORST criminals here in the U.S. go free. Our "legal" system is so broken that the outcome of a trial has nothing to do with the facts, and everything to do with the skill and level of preparation of the lawyers. Also, that our laws are written so that a corporate CEO can murder thousands by selling dangerous products, or by polluting the air and water, and can steal billions via scams like the recent credit-default-swap fiasco, and never even be charged with a crime because the legislature made such scams legal and banned any sort of regulation.

Advertising foods to children that will cause obesity in childhood, and "adult-onset" diabetes in children is legal, but is a far worse crime in terms of the number of DEATHS IT DIRECTLY CAUSES than anything any street criminal or neighborhood drug peddler does.

One child molester gets nation-wide publicity and is rightly excoriated by every decent person; but the deaths of thousands of children as the direct of legal advertising and unhealthy products is just ignored!

When mass-murderers sit comfortably in the board rooms of a thousand major companies because their lobbyists write the laws in such a way as to make their death-dealing legal, it rings pretty darn hollow to say we need to ignore human rights because some INVITED immigrants MIGHT be criminals. -- And don't forget, they were invited by Carter's demand that Castro let them leave.

And when the Constitution says that the government shall not deny the right to trial, I don't think it excluded "illegal" immigrants.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've taken so many turns here, i'm not even sure what we're discussing anymore! where's my nuvi?:rolleyes:

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's normal. :)

Edit: I mean that's normal for internet discussions.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right on both counts.:cool:

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think we were discussing sheep.

Tom

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sheep?

Economic theory is so much more cerebral. :)

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sheep should have a right to a trial by a jury of their peers...:rolleyes: