1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This kinda sucks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Jul 25, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 27 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]293448[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I checked and they fold both directions. Duh. :mellow: Pretty neat, actually.

2. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Wow, that looks like someone took a hammer to it :(

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all your support. I agree it looks like someone took a hammer to it!

They were able to replace just the glass, so it came to $127. Could have been much worse.

I am stilll mystified as to how it happened. Somebody passing too close would have pushed the mirror back and maybe caused it to crack from the inpact. But for it to be totally smahed in the center....hmm...

4. klf214

klf214 New Member

Gosh, I'm so sorry that happened to you. :(

I once had someone---get this---pour pink nail polish all over my car. I still to this don't know exactly who it was, but when I got home from work someone was parked in my assigned parking place and I called the leasing office and asked them to call the person and get the car moved. I parked somewhere else and went to my apt, maybe 30 minutes later went back and the car was gone. Didn't think anything about it....well the next morning I had to be somewhere super early and when I went down to my car I noticed something wet and sticky on the drivers door......they poured the nail polish all around the entire car. I took the car immediately to a repair shop and since it was still a little wet they were able to get it off, still cost be about $700. I think the leasing office may have had the persons car towed, but of course they wouldn't tell me.....anyways, moral of the story: there are some stupid people out there....and some of them just won't like your car. :)

5. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(klf214 @ Jul 29 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]294272[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that's a real ...er, excuse the stereotyping* ...bitchy thing to do!! $700!! Thank god you were able to get it all off. What did they use to remove it? I would imagine that something like acetone would take off the car's finish too.

* I suppose it's possible a guy would also do something like that, but I can't quite see it. More likely to use the hammer and less likely to be carrying around a bottle of pink nail polish. Red, perhaps, but not pink. B)

6. klf214

klf214 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 29 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]294286[/snapback]</div>

Yea, I think they used acetone since it wasn't completely dry. Needless to say, I moved from that complex not long after that!

7. tacomel

tacomel New Member

I'm happy to hear that the glass was the only thing that needed to be replaced in this case. That's the cheapest repair for the damage you suffered.

I'd agree that a hammer (or other object swung at the mirror by a vandal) could have done the damage. But, on our CR-V with the mirror smashed due to backing it into the side of the garage, the damage pattern was almost exactly what your picture shows. Not that it ultimately matters - even if it was an accident, whoever did it was a jerk for not taking responsibility.

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 29 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]294383[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Actually it does make me feel a little better that it could have been an accident. I have to park in that lot every day and while a vandal might do it again, either to me or someone else, it's unlikely that the idiot that hit me by accident would repeat the same mistake.