1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This much info for a sale?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JMalmsteen, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With a cashiers check, the bank has already withdrawn the amount from your account. If the person/business suspect the check isn't real, they can call the bank with the check info.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A business has the right to protect themselves and do what it requires to make the transaction whole. If you don't like the way this business conducts business, you have options to go to another dealer. Every dealer has a different policy, just like any other business you run into. They are not universal policies

3. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jen,

I understand your concerns and I think it’s great that you’re educating fellow forum members on their privacy rights. You’re obviously an expert in this area and undoubtedly have far more knowledge than the average person.

This is not to take anything away from the point you’re making, but I’m surprised the folks you’ve talked to at Langway have not worked with you on this. If their finance office is in fact demanding SSNs from cash buyers that do not want to release that information, then this needs to be addressed by the General Manager or even the owner himself, James Langway.

I just purchased a Prius Prime from Langway two days ago and it was the best purchasing experience I’ve ever had at a dealer. I did not see anything shady going on. In fact, it was the complete opposite. I received straight talk, they had a genuine caring attitude, and I got my Prius Prime Advanced at a price lower than what I was aiming for and I did a ton of research on pricing before I ever showed up. I even spoke with Mr. Langway himself for a few minutes and I let him know just how impressed I was with my experience there. I will not hesitate for one second to give them my business again. I know I’m singing high praises, but they earned it.

I wouldn’t let this hiccup stop the deal for you. I would just talk to the GM and if some reason that does not work, then I would communicate with Mr. Langway himself. From the practices I saw, I feel certain one of those two will solve this problem for you -and- re-educate their finance manager on the rights of cash-buyers that do not want to give up their personal information and have a credit check run.

Best of luck -- please keep us updated!
    Bryan

JMalmsteen likes this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There may be parts of the law that you are not familiar with.
    ANYBODY who handles large sums of money these days has new reporting requirements.
    Maybe.
    Then again, they may just be collecting personal data to SELL.

Just in the last couple of days, the Internet Service Providers have been given free reign to SELL any data that they collect on you.....or give it away if they choose. Where you visit, what you look at, who you communicate with, what you buy......on and on.
    If they can do it, why not the car dealers ?......or any other business for that matter.

You might be surprised at how FEW legal restrictions there has actually been on selling your information.
    Even the State DMVs sell your auto registration information.

5. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mike, the GM, worked it out. I have purchased lots of cars and motorcycles for cash and this is my first time with this issue. No other dealer has ever demanded the list of information that this dealer wanted. If you are financing and they are pulling credit, fine, but I'm not.

Today has been complicated. I also found out that NY doesn't count tax paid in Rhode Island, so this would have been 6k in tax. I hope I couldn't possibly have missed anything else.

#25 JMalmsteen, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your transaction must have been less than $10,000. Otherwise, I don't know how your dealer got around the Patriot Act when accepting your pile of cash. I'm sure the cashier was thrilled completing the paperwork at the bank.

7. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check. Equivalent of cash. 30k.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cash is Federal Reserve banknotes. A check is a written order to a bank to pay a stated amount from the drawer's account.

I would expect a dealer to run a soft inquiry before accepting my check. I wouldn't expect a hard inquiry that might knock a point or two off my FICO score.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a cashiers check, the drawer IS the bank. The end user has already provided the funds to the bank.

10. sillymike

sillymike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I paid by personal check. Never gave toyota dealer my soc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've actually paid using a personal check at the Jaguar dealer, I didn't even need anything beyond that. No dealer has needed my social security number and so far this is including four motorcycles and five or so cars.

Mark57 likes this.
  12. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I declare shenanigans!

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Get your broom.

14. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like only the bare minimum info needed to prove you are not the identity thief.

Drivers licence and proof of insurance required to receive a vehicle from a dealer in almost every state. Many states require a notary for out of state transfers. Dealers insurance may also require this info. Proof of indentity that you are of legal age, that the check is yours and not stolen and that you will be titling and registering out of state ect.

I've been looking for a 2012-14 Gen 3 pkg 5 atp to replace the Chevy the last few weeks. I have reviewed at least half the countries sales/use taxes and title transfer requirements for out of state or non-resident purchaces. Even with a Montana LLC, your state registered representative must know this information at a minimum to protect their backsides.

15. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    License and insurance are not issues. You give them your license for a test drive. My issue was the social security number.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking up all the states requirements for tax exemption for non-residents.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf820.pdf
    New York State Department of Taxation and Finance
    Certificate of Non-residency of New York State and/or Local Taxing Jurisdiction
    For use only when purchasing a motor vehicle, trailer, or vessel.
    "Must not be temp tagged/temp registered in NYS to qualify"

At the bottom of several NYS forms is this:
    Privacy notification —
    The Commissioner of Taxation and Finance may collect and maintain personal information pursuant to the New York State Tax Law, including but not limited to, sections 5-a, 171, 171-a, 287, 308, 429, 475, 505, 697, 1096, 1142, and 1415 of that Law; and may require disclosure of social security numbers pursuant to 42 USC 405(c)(2)(C)(i). This information will be used to determine and administer tax liabilities and, when authorized by law, for certain tax offset and exchange of tax information programs as well as for any other lawful purpose. Information concerning quarterly wages paid to employees is provided to certain state agencies for purposes of fraud prevention, support enforcement, evaluation of the effectiveness of certain employment and training programs and other purposes authorized by law.
    Failure to provide the required information may subject you to civil or criminal penalties, or both, under the Tax Law. This information is maintained by the Manager of Document Management, NYS Tax Department,
    W A Harriman Campus, Albany NY 12227; telephone (518) 457-5181

17. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm a PA resident and bought it in RI. I paid by bank check.

Moral of the story- be careful of dealers who demand a ss# for the underhanded purpose of running your credit in an attempt to offer you financing that you may not be interested in.

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.