1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This ought to scare us all

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tleonhar, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 9 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]237118[/snapback]</div>
    If they are using the most common enrichment method (Uranium hexafluoride, UF6, invented at McGill University towards the end of WW II), the result would be disastrous.

UF6 does not react with O2, CO2, N2, or *dry* air. However it can be catastrophic in contact with any moisture, forming hydrogen fluoride, which is highly corrosive. As you stated there will also be low-level radioactive contamination.

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Emilyjohn @ Apr 9 2006, 05:08 AM) [snapback]237114[/snapback]</div>
    His investigative reporting is well respected. He was correct about Abu Ghraib (and the My Lai massacres). Smearing the author and then turning away is not objective or productive. There is likely more than a modicum of truth here. If the article is correct, how do you feel about this? How do you think it will impact America and Americans? How will it impact world relations?

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Apr 9 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]237175[/snapback]</div>
    Sadly, this Shoot the messenger tactic seems to have become standard practice.

Good point Jay, in addition, I did some Googling on the B61-11 last night. Since the test ban treaty they obviously havn't tested it with live warheads but have done extensive testing of mock-up and computer simulations of the warheads themselves. The bomb itself will penetrate to a depth of about 20 feet in dry earth when dropped from 40,000 feet. Equiped with a typical 5 KT warhead, or even its smallest 0.3 KT configuration, you are going to spread many qubic yards of now highly radioactive dirt over a very large area, here's where you can find out more: http://www.fas.org/faspir/2001/v54n1/weapons.htm

Now think about this, a cloud of radioactive dirt is blown into the upper atmosphere, the winds will carry it as it settles back to earth, over India, Pakastan, and possibly China, all three with nuclear capability. Think they will sit back and say bummer? Guess again, and as someone else posted, we can count on our oil imports to be cut off. And with all this excitement going on you think North Korea will let everyone else have all the fun? Think they could sneak one of their nukes into a container ship bound for say San Diego, Long Beach, San Francisco, Seattle (maybe a can full of Chevy Aveos :lol: ).

If indeed Bush is really thinking of this, anyone listening in The Hague? We have another one for you...

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Apr 8 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]236961[/snapback]</div>
    Edmonton??????????Wth

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Apr 8 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]236961[/snapback]</div>
    Naw! The U.S. won't attack Canada until fresh water starts to become really scarce down here, and then only if Canada refuses to sell it to us at a price the U.S. thinks is "reasonable." That won't be for another five or ten years.

(You think I'm joking, don't you? Just wait and see!)

6. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Apr 8 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]236894[/snapback]</div>
    Russia doesn't want to get nuked ether. There not Stupid.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Apr 9 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]237168[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if Danny got an e-mail from the Department of Homeland INsecurity!

:lol:

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Apr 9 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]237236[/snapback]</div>
    Sure Edmonton: it's a nice, clean, progressive city, so it ends up full of craters. Think about it ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 9 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]237248[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel:

No, I don't think you're joking at all. Did you follow the huge uproar of the plan to divert water from the American side of Lake of the Woods to the American midwest?

As far as "reasonable" price I'm guessing that would be "loss leader" price?

jay

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 9 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]237269[/snapback]</div>
    The UF6 process has been public for over 30 years, nothing new here. Gasseous diffusion has many industrial uses asides from uranium enrichment: it's a very costly process but has been around for a long long time.

Hint: Haber-Bosch process to produce synthetic NH3 and nitrogen fixation. Dr. Fritz Haber received the nobel prize in 1918 for this discovery.

And since the uranium hexafluoride process was invented at McGill University, what does the DHS have to do with that?

9. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

The only thing necessary for evil to overcome in the world is for good men to do nothing.

10. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Apr 9 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]237305[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, it's called humor... :rolleyes: :lol:

11. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 9 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]237269[/snapback]</div>

Only if they thought he was a 14 year old girl ;)

12. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

This was also posted on the Mirza's thread on the same topic - love to see some lefty responses -

This is a huge dilemma.

If we do nothing a geniune American hating madman will have nukes and will definatley continue to push the envelope.

If we take him out. Half the people on this website, the left, Harry Reid, Kennedy etc, hollywood, and the pacifists will blame George W and continue to bash him no end. Not that that matters but it is annoying.

I'd be interested to see what solution the Bush bashers have to say about this problem. I will not name names you know who you are. And Pleeeease don't say its our fault!

13. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ Apr 10 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]237511[/snapback]</div>
    Edward R. Murrow

14. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ Apr 10 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]237511[/snapback]</div>

Lefty response here :)

I don't think we are too far apart on this issue (speaking for myself that is). We cannot allow unstable regimes anywhere to be wandering around with nukes, we both know where that will lead.

As for what to do about it, that's the hard part! The only constructive suggestion is, it's time for both sides of the asile is to put away differences, DO NOT dismiss an idea simply because it came from the other side, and for once in your political lives, put the interests of the country first!

In answer to your last statement, it is absoutly NOT the fault of the righties, or the lefties, a nutjob without US influence (IMHO)

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I aint skeered, when its my time to go, its my time to go....:D

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ Apr 10 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]237511[/snapback]</div>

HMMMMM The left will blame GWB.. Now where would they get such a dim tactic from? Oh, thats right from the neocons who don't take responsibility for ANYTHING. If it weren't for CLinton the neocons would have no whipping boy at all. You want to know what solution bush bashers have for a complex problem? as if any would be stupid to take your bait only to set themselves up for nitpicking. The republicans are in power, let them solve it, it's what they were 'elected' (and i use the term loosely) to do. Now do it! I"D BE INTERESTED to see how people like you will defend Hillary when she is elected in a landslide! HA!!!

17. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Apr 10 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]237622[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but what would you do about it?

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Apr 10 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]237622[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

I wonder for how many MORE years the Anti-Bushivites are going to whine about the election results?

19. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Apr 10 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]237535[/snapback]</div>
    So, in your first pragraph you say, to paraphrase, its our fault. (I asked you not to say that)
    Then you quote Scott Ritter - wooooeeeewoo
    And then you say do nothing. OK thats something.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Apr 10 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]237550[/snapback]</div>
    You and me bro, no problemo.

20. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Apr 9 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]237347[/snapback]</div>
    Priorities, Priorities, Priorities!! :lol: