1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This post was inspired by the AI Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GoliathMV, Jul 13, 2021.

1. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep you read correctly this type work is inspired by the motorcycle that is built as an AI self racing motorcycle with a little robot that sits up on top and races on a track trying to beat human lap records. So anyway the AI bot can't beat humans as of this writing but it was rather impressive to watch in the Youtube video which you should be able to find by typing just what I mentioned above. So it got my Prius driving brain really thinking about somethings. The big one was fuel economy and cruise control. I have been fighting to prove that I can beat the computers high score of 55MPG. I have only been able to accomplish this great feet by using the 2010 Prius cruise control. I have not been able to beat my beloved Prii's high-score as of this writing currently I am at 35MPG but it has been really fun to push this car to its ECO-Mode limits and really squeeze the different bands of power this car has to offer. I waited 11 years to finally start pushing a little harder on the pedal and relearn the braking power of this car but it has been a fun and scary journey. I will let you know what next months MPGS look like as I settle into a rhythm with this new driving style. What I can tell you is that I have begun to learn how to maximize traffic times for everyone in my traffic pool with this new style. I have learned how to use momentum and simple physics to move forward while maximizing the Prius electric motor which is amazing at high speed cruising. What I will tell you is to speed in this car is to master creating large gaps between you and everyone on the road. The trick is to pick up speed and use the regenerative brakes along with the synergy battery store to maintain momentum and road physics to maximize traction battery performance and regen for the boost controller which is electronic apparently on the 2010 models and up. Older gen Prius vehicles were not equipped with boost controllers which is also why the 2010 is the most fun to play with in Power Mode. Yes I have on occasion played with that button but I do it in the most responsible way possible so not to trigger the computers nanny system which I have forced on by driving like a complete and utter A#@*&(&. I can tell you that in NYC winter can be terrible and truly has pushed the little Prius to the limits. After all is said and done you can catch me blowing past cars on purely EV most of the time in sunny NYC.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got 68 mpg from last tank and average of 67 mpg from the last 1,500 miles. Cruise control or human feet, I get the same mpgs. Same results under power, eco or standard mode so the computer so smart as me.