1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This takes the guess work out of Wheel Torque

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jun 18, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am drinking my third cup of coffee (9:30 a.m. on the USA West Coast) and trying to think of more reasons to put off rotating my tires....

Right now I am working on the theory of no rotating and letting the fronts wear down first and then just replacing in pairs :D.

But, I keep telling myself that I want to pull them and wire brush them and "anti-seize" coat them, so....:(...guess I better get to it.

But, in looking up the proper torque specs (76 Ft,. lb, right), I came across this interesting chart from Discount Tire....seems they torque all Toyotas to one spec.

Wheel Torque Chart - Discount Tire Direct

RCO likes this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll bet in practice they are all torqued to whatever the air gun happens to be set at, very likely "MAX", also known as "torque them til they yield, then back them off by one-quarter turn, and claim 'they came in like that'..."

RCO likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've watched Discount Tire do mine, and they do in fact use a manual, clicky torque wrench for tightening. At least my local one does.

They do, however, use the 80 ft-lb figure from their chart, and "discount" me showing them the 76 ft-lb in the manual.

-Chap

RCO and cyberpriusII like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall a @NutzAboutBolts video, he used an eighty foot pound torque stick. Pretty close anyhow.

I use 76. Our civics and accords were always 80. Our daughters pilot is something like 95?

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Camry is 77 ft. lbs. Based on what I am seeing, I am not going to be too picky about hitting it right on the nose.

Actually, I have become distracted yet again. I am watching a chipmunk stealing green strawberries from my plants outside the kitchen and chewing them up. I think I may just build a chipmunk trap instead....that ought to be a good way to waste part of the afternoon (beats tire rotation). :rolleyes:

kris

RCO, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good luck with the chipmunk trap. We have a squirrel that keeps stealing the squash and zucchini blossoms:mad:. Trap out and he has gone in, but not far enough. We use a live trap, and take them 15 miles away (or so). This one has a distinct mark on it, and her father said he's caught him before, so he's learned:(.

But they stayed away from the Boysenberry bush long enough for a great Fathers day dessert fresh from the garden boxes (y).

RCO, cyberpriusII and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got two munks in one trap at the same time yesterday. they were having a good time in there, until i dropped them off at the river.
    i was going for a red squirrel, which showed up the other day and boldly tore into my finch sock five feet from where i was having my coffee.
    he showed up in the trap this morning, and took a trip to davy jones locker.
    if we get too many chipmunks, i put out a 5 gallon bucket with an inch of water and some outs. then i run a 1 x 4 from a wall to the bucket.

i rarely rotate my tires, but may pay the price of early wear. i have never gotten more than 40k out of the oems, and more like 25-30.
    usually, one becomes so noisy, i have to buy all four.

RCO likes this.
  8. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Chipper" has been sitting about three feet from my trap, eating a green unripe strawberry. Ignoring the yummy peanut, raisins, peanut butter and sunflower seeds I scattered in the trap for him.

Meanwhile, my resident stellar jay has been angrily trying to figure out how to get to the bait.

[​IMG]

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beautiful bird, much prettier than our bluejays.

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stellar jays are the top of the heap for blue jays in the American West.

They tend to stick to the higher elevations in Oregon and if some of the lowland scrub jays come around, they harass them until they leave.

From Cornell University (I received a "D" in my university Ornithology course).

• Like other jays, Steller’s Jays are bold, inquisitive, intelligent, and noisy. Steller’s Jays spend much of their time exploring the forest canopy, flying with patient wingbeats. They come to the forest floor to investigate visitors and look for food, moving with decisive hops of their long legs.

• Habitat
      Look for Steller’s Jays in evergreen forests of western North America, at elevations of 3,000-10,000 feet (lower along the Pacific coast). They’re familiar birds of campgrounds, picnic areas, parks, and backyards.

RCO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the perfect time to invite doc @tochatihu :)

RCO likes this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Um OK, I suppose for many people, interaction with Stellar's happens in campgrounds. Like most in their family (Corvidae) they are clever group learners and will open food containers if unguarded. Related ravens are tops for me. In Grand Canyon they mimic a wide range of sounds (just for play it seems) and can lead to much confusion.

A 'D' in bird class can be forgiven, I suppose, if it is followed by a durable appreciation for the critters. As seems to be the case here. Seriously, 'they' were not expecting (most students) to remember all that stuff for all your lives. Good 'nuff to have a general appreciation of Biology and how it fits together.

On the other hand, treating tire rotation as other than great fun - well I just don't know what to say...

RCO, cyberpriusII and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, that was everything i hoped for.;)

14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just finished the tire rotation. I managed to poke a nice hole in the web of skin between thumb and forefinger while prying rocks out of the tire tread with a pick. Did not get to the Camry. It will have to wait until next weekend....

A job for the birds....speaking of...my problem is that other than vultures, chickadees and California and Stellar's jays and pilated woodpeckers, all of them tend to look alike....:whistle:

#14 cyberpriusII, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we get a lot plain ol' brown birds. oh well, they gotta eat too. but i have to constantly shoo the morning doves who climb into the feeder and block all the other birds from eating.

do you have hummingbirds?

RCO likes this.
  16. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used to have a lot of rufus and ruby-throated hummers on the roses just outside the kitchen. Last couple of years, not hardly any. Indeed, I do not think I have seen any this year.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i put sugar water out for them, works pretty well.

other than hummers, goldfinch and cardinals are my favorites and plentiful.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    One student spent long time in the field, ran out of (real) sugar, and put non-caloric sweetener in his hummingbird feeder. I cannot describe how awful that is. Yet, we are not allowed to kill students.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Rubies do an absurd 800 km overwater migration north from Yucatan.

Cyberprius newest injury: Your last tetanus booster was when?

RCO and AzWxGuy like this.