1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This was the end of my Prius...

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Indyking, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys just can't let me go, can you? Anyway, yeah, sure, I will post what my calculated MPG in the Sonata turns out to be, but I must warn you all that I'm not really worried about it. Don't take me wrong but don't want to go through this psychic MPG obsession with my new car. Since it appears that its much larger tank will be enough for not only my hwy trips but also my city driving between trips, my tank MPGs in the Sonata will be more likely a combination of about 60-75% Hwy to 40-25% city driving, so my expectations for tank MPG is going to be a combination of both, most likely aroung 26-29 MPG according to my math and considering EPA. Anyway, the Prius was of course more efficient, no question there, but its smaller tank forced me to fill up after each trip before I drove it for city driving, therefore, in most cases I had hwy MPG recorded separately from city MPG in the Prius, which were bellow EPA since October regardless. Whatever...

Wolf, the Sonata with factory specials (2.5K) plus incentives for trading a Toyota (1K) plus dealer discount (2.5K) was offered to me for 19.5K, quite a bargain for what the car really is and features. Remember that EPA classifies the Sonata as a large family sedan, not midsized, which I agree. I can see why priusmiselus is going crazy trying to decide between the current value of a 2010 vs. the improved 2011. Good luck with that :D. I made them pay 18.5K for my Prius, which was also not that bad considering 20K miles, previous body work, and off course the recalls. The maximum offer I got privately for my Prius was 18.5K but most often around 17-17.5K. I also got the first 3 oil changes free plus the insurance in the Sonata ended up being almost 100 bucks cheaper for some reason. Hyundai is just going very bold these days... my dealer offered me 1K discount even the new 2011, which has a high demand... pretty amazing.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I read between the lines is that what we consider
    "standard" stuff in a car is continuing to escalate across *all*
    manufacturers -- you have to work harder to find a car *without*
    such rafts of extra features. Maybe Hyundai has slight leg up
    right now; wait a few months and the pendulum will probably
    swing again.
    _H*

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a werd.;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be.

My experience with Hyundais is that the they have had the best bang for the buck for the past several years. They are actually a company to be proud of if they oversees their growth appropriately and don't blow it. I remember my 98 Elantra, my fisrt car in the US. Unlike many think, by that time, as early as late 90's they had already figured out the reliability and engine issues. My Elantra was incredibly reliable, but it still had some problems with interior quality and fuel efficiency was horrible. The civic or corolla would get several extra MPGs at that time. Then I trade it to a much more efficient 02 Civic but sort of regretted it because the 98 Elantra was more quiet, comfortable, and funnier to drive. Then my friend got a 04 Elantra, great car, with much improved interior quality, many standard features for its price (value), and better but not quite good fuel efficiency yet. Then, this friend trade his beloved Elantra for a 07 Sonata and I noticed that they Hyundai have then figure out the fuel eficiency problem and the interior was starting to trend toward luxury and very good quality. Once again the good value was there. Now the 2011 Sonata shows that they not only figured out ancient engine issues, reliability, value, quality, interiors, but also exteriors as the new Sonata is a combination of a BMW 5 series (back) and a Lexus (front), with a body profile of a Mercedes. Simply gorgeous. The interior is looking more and more beautiful, solid, and elegant. Next thing they are improving now is resale value. A article posted on the Wikipedia page of Sonata claims that the Sonata already carry better resale value than the Accord, which was the former class leader I think.

Way to go Hyundai...

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You got a great deal. $1k out of pocket to knock out 20k miles is pretty good.

In addition, you will have $4-$7k gas bill to pay for Sonata. I hope you think it is worth it, even more important is your wife.

6. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HEY Indyking! Best of luck with your new purchase. I know price was a major factor but when you start seeing those 2011 models (much better looking than the 2010) you're going to be kicking yourself in the head. I haven't done ANY research so what I'm about to say is from memory regarding an article I read about four days ago.

The 2011 has a direct injection engine and therefore gets pretty decent mileage for a car that size (~35 MPG highway). Granted the mileage of the 2010 is decent too but I love the technology that the 2011 offers.

You are definitely happy now but trust me for what I'm about to say. In six months time you'll still be reading this board and you will be bored (no pun) with your car. My dad has a 2008 or 2009 (I forget and it's too late to call my father). He loves the car but the car is SO BORING!! Now the 2011 is a different story. The look alone will make me smile every time I approach the vehicle. The goodies/gadgets in the 2011 are quite numerous.

Last time I checked there's not much of an aftermarket for Sonatas so be happy with what you have because mods are really not gonna be something you'll be able to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to claim you made the wrong decision. I just know that 100% you will definitely get tired of that car within six months.

Lastly, I absolutely find NOTHING wrong with Hyundais. I am really looking forward to the Hybrid version of the 2011 Sonata. Hyundai is truly on a roll and virtually every new car/model they're bringing to market has met with great success.

Once again, good luck and stop by or for that matter still hang around and say hello.

Seeya soon buddy!!

7. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming I will drive around or more than 100K in the car, your math seems right.

To me, that extra fuel cost is actually a very small cost for confort, quality, leather seats, wood grain interior accents, heated front seats, dual automatic climate control, sunroof, Infinity audio system , auto-dimming rearview mirror with homelink and compass, leather wrapped steering wheel, alarm system, power driver seat with lumbar support, automatic headlights, iPod/USB jacks, 5-star crashing ratings, 17†alloy wheels, fog lights, 15 mile in the odometer, brand new with no body work... all of which my Prius did not have! :)

Not to mention the cheaper insurance ($97 less for 6 months) and cheaper oil change (first 3 changes are free and from that will pay $40 for change every 7,5K as opposed to $85 per change every 10K in the Prius).

Quite frankly, even if the Sonata was going to cost me 10-15K extra on fuel for its lifetime, I would still pick it over the Prius with no hesitation. The Prius doesn't even scratch the surface for the value, comfort, and pleasure my Sonata is providing me... ;)

BTW, Wolf, my wife hated the Prius more than I did and that was since the beginning. Remember that I used to like my Prius in the first couple of weeks when everything was perfect? Well, she didn't. She supported my decision to buy it but she always hated how it looks and the driver’s visibility. Blind spots were always her concern. She also hated the cramped cabin because of the center console and she pointed out several times that reaching anything in the passenger seat was impossible with drinks in the cup holders. She also felt she was far to close to the road in front of her and she wondered how I could stand driving a car like that in the hwy for 6 hours 2-3 times a week. You guys are lucky she is not an active member on priuschat... ;):D

8. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your post and concerns. I actually drove the 2011 Sonata. There is a disconnect between what the media was advertising regarding launching dates and the real release date to the market. Most Hyundai dealerships have the 2011 already in their lots available, though they are selling literally off the trucks. :)

I absolutely agree that the new Sonata is improved, mainly the exterior and the engine. I reset the MPG gauge when test driving it in the hwy and it gave me 41 MPG driving a short and flat stretch around 50-55 MPH. Very impressive for a brand new engine. You don't really need to pay a high premium for hybrid technology for decent hwy MPG with some of the new engines car companies like Hyundai is producing these days. ;)

I found the interior in the 2010 more appealing, believe or not, but that is just me. In terms of features, my limited with bluetooth and iPod integration has everything the new 2011 limited one has; so I can't think of anything extra in the new one, would you like to explain what extra gadgets the 2011 has compared to the 20100 limited? :confused:

Cars all become boring with time and 6 months even seem a lot of time honestly. But I found that, as long as you have a pleasant and comfortable ride every time you drive it, I never had problems keeping a car for at least 100K or 4-5 years, except the Prius, which I could not stand. :eek:

So, back to your main concern, the only reason I did not get the 2011 was indeed that I could not afford it given my circumstances. Trading my 8-month old Prius could potentially result in a significant financial loss, so I had to go for the best deal as possible and all the specials and incentives in the 2010 made it possible.:D

I mean, honestly, 20K for the 2010 limited or 25K for the 2011 limited Sonata are all great deals, but in my case, the 5K difference was my savior from a very bad situation with the Prius.:p

However, if I was in the market for a brand new car and not worrying so much about an immediate financial burden, I would not hesitate on getting the 2011 at all! ;)

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a lot more to cars than mileage. I'd like to hear about subjective issues too, such as ride, rattles, and such.

Tom

10. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, agree and will do. So far, very solid, no rattles or quality concerns, but still in the first tank... ;) definitively way too early to draw any conclusions...

11. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it is suppose to be on the market in april of this year. I thought thats what I read somewhere

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was.

You did.

2 people like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice one, john.

1 person likes this.
  15. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. priusmiselus

priusmiselus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you're still hanging in here, I wonder what your city MPG was between those trips. I know a person who owns a 2007 I think and I remeber her saying that her prius won't get nearly close to EPA in the winter and her commute was 100% city driving with lots of stop and go traffic. I have a 2011 Sonata on order, so this is just curiosty... :)

17. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd just like to ask:
    If mpg "isn't a factor" for you, why the hell did you whine about it so freaking much?!?

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Did you try hypnotism? Just watch the pendelum and repeat after me, "I hear no Dash Rattles, I love Hypermiling"....

Well, good luck. Coming in this forum with a scathing exit review of Prius ownership coupled with a glowing review of a new Hyundai is Jeremy Clarkson like in it's audacity....I can only applaud it.

Bottom line? You've been consistent in your almost immediate dislike of your Prius purchase. So what could you do but move on? Good Luck and Happy Non-Hybrid Motoring.

19. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Tom, using your own terms, I whined so freaking much about a lot of problems I ran through during my short Prius experience. You can follow my history here by looking back all my posts in the past, but summarizing:

First, super happy of the car in the summer but only for a couple of weeks with city driving only > First disappointment was the OCI dilemma. Why change the oil every 5K if the synthetic change should be 10K? Toyota was fooling us with their delay in solving the problem just like they did with the brakes. The oil change in the Prius was $85 bucks for me! (Thankfully Toyota fixed that > rattles/creaks. My Prius did rattle a lot even in the hwy and dealers ignored my request to fix it > my trips started and my back pain started too. I spent more than $100 with lumbar support things but none worked because the deep down seat in the prius was always sort of “eating†the support (my Dr did suggest me to change the seat, I was not joking > then winter came and my MPG started to drop a lot (that's the part you participated). One may argue the MPG was still good, fine, but all the problems and my nightmares with the car was just adding up > then the plunge in resale value because of the Toyota recall fiasco.

All that plus my concerns about the poor interior quality. I always told PC members that the Prius III felt like a 10K car with a 15K hybrid system and it is true in my opinion.

I mean, you and others have no idea how much more pleasure and satisfaction I’m having with my Sonata now... there is just no FE in the world that pays fort that.

Most of you are happy with your Prius, good for you, but I was not. It is that simple.

Cheers and I hope you all don't hate me too much...

20. chimo

chimo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speculation:

priusmiselus = Indyking (minus the random bolding) :boink:

Random bolding has been replaced by Smilies. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.