1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This yellow goop is what comes out of oil catch cans...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just look at Petr's first minute of the video and how it might be an indicator of a failed head gasket. Interesting!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be willing to bet that signs of moisture in the oil is also a function of ethanol in the fuel, which unlike real gas absorbs and holds water.

OptimusPriustus likes this.
  4. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why our Prius (and all our gasoline cars) only get 98octane. It has just 5%. Bit pricier but as per my beliefs carbon build up is also less than with 95. Coincidence or not, after some 18months driving with 98 and couple oil changes, oil consumption has got lower. Lets see whether it stay that way

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I drain the oil catch cans on our 2010 spring and fall. Spring drain is about 50/50 oil/water when I’ve collected it and let it settle. Fall drain is about half as much, and much less water. I’d suspect due to less humid air through summer. So far never see that condition on oil filler cap.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ?? That's due almost entirely to higher catch can and hose temperature in summer, which leads to less condensation of the water vapor that's plentiful in blowby gas year-round, regardless of ambient humidity level.

Mendel Leisk likes this.