1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Those darn battery bars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mmcdougald, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mmcdougald

mmcdougald New Member

What am I doing wrong 900+ miles and have not seen a full green battery.

First tank was 46.6 This tank is 48.5 mpg Mostly commuting miles to work. I have really slowed down in this car! I set the cruise at 65 to 70 depending on conditions on the road. hardly any hills on i-95 in philly.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    search battery + soc for more info =).

If you're living in a flat area, it'll be hard to see 7 or 8 bars (green). You're doing nothing wrong and the system is operating normally. The computer is designed to keep the battery at 60% SOC (6 bars - blue).

3. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tideland is exactly right. You need to get out of town and find some hills! I probably had over 2K miles on our '05 before I ever saw any green bars. Here in Tidewater our biggest hill is Mount Trashmore, a public park in Virginia Beach with a manmade "mountain" built from landfill. Unfortunately, the only way you can drive on it is in a soapbox derby car!

We recently took a driving trip to Canada, which took us right through the Appalachians. Lots of green bars!

4. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    By the way, welcome to the boards! I'll be in Philly next summer to spend a week at your lovely Federal Industrial Supply Center. I flew last time, but I'm sure I'll be driving for my next trip--I should make a killing on the mileage reimbursement!

-Harry

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I only get GREEN bars when i'm riding on hills... hardly ever achieved green on a flat 65mph trip.

6. mmcdougald

mmcdougald New Member

This board is great, everyone is very helpful.

I just filled up the tank for the second time computer mpg was 48.2 real mpg was 49.2.

I am a reformed Gass hog. Dodge durango commuter 14-15 mpg. We ditched the minivan and kept the durango due to having a boat. I drive the prius all the time now and the wife uses it when im not. the durango hasnt seen a gas station sense sept 22nd. LOL

I am now using the cruise at 65 mph. I used to fly in the durango no cruise 75 to 80 on the way home every possible time on the highway. This car has really calmed me down. that display showing MPG is a real speed killer. I only lose about 5 min on the drive so its all good.

7. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I made a similiar switch from a Jeep at 16mpg to my Prius. And my driving style was similar if not faster.

Now, having said that, I have on occasion opened up my Prius a bit and am really pleased with the handling at higher speeds. I'm also surprised sometimes by just how smooth and quick the acceleration can be.

I've seen Green even on highway trips, although there have been some downhills. One way to see them (if you really are dying to) is to maintain speed so the ICE is powering the drivetrain and charging the battery - eventually, you'll hit Green and you can often do this while still achieving great mileage.

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Think of it this way. If the battery was full, you wouldn't have anywhere to store recovered energy from coasting and brakeing. I would expect the system is designed to keep the battery at about %50 charge under normal cruising. That's been my experience. Long downhills under coasting and braking will fully charge the battery, and long uphills will fully deplete it.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've seen 8 bars a few times, but only after going down a long hill. It drops pretty quick.

10. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I see 8 bars on specific exits coming off of the highway. By the time I slow down and get to the toll booths, the battery is green.