1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Those Pesky Details....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pre~us, May 2, 2012.

1. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

It had to happen eventually... our beloved Saturn wagon needs a heart transplant (it recently miraculously transformed itself from a 4 cylinder to a 3) and so we are now going to buy a Prius, which we have been wanting to do for some time. I have been reading and looking a LOT. I am finally to the point of working at narrowing it down and looking to buy soon. I'm wondering if someone could help me with a few questions or point me to where the answers might be on the forum. We are ideally wanting to spend about 8K, but would be willing to go into the 9-10 range if it seemed worth it.

1) In a thread where someone asked what was available on the '07 model, Boo suggested they look at the '07 Prius eBrochure. Are these available for each year and where might I find them please?

2) This may be redundant to the question above, but I have read that the Touring model was first offered in '07, and yet I have seen an 05 model listed as a Touring model?

3) At first, I was committed to buying from a private party so I could have a much better chance of knowing the history, etc, but with few options less than 500 miles from me I feel I need to consider cars from dealers as well. Any thoughts here? I know the usual things to consider with dealers but wondered if anyone has thoughts that are specific to Prii? I am a bit comforted by the notion that a higher percentage of Prius owners are likely to take proper care of their cars so buying one from a dealer is less of a risk if you are paying attention?

Thank you!
    ...wishing the Prius Wagon had come out 7 years earlier.....
    Peter in Wisconsin...:rockon:

2. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi pre~us--

Welcome to the community, first off. And I hope you have a great time here, and if you get a Prius, many long and happy miles of motoring. I'll try to answer each of your questions in turn.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a Prius for under 10k that didn't have a lot of miles given the current state of the economy and gas prices. If you want a car in solid condition, be prepared to be spend at a minimum of 10, although 12-13 may be more realistic.

1) Here is the complete list of models and options for the 2004-09 Prius.

2) There aren't many major differences between the touring model and the base Prius; the touring has a slightly larger rear spoiler and 16'' wheels. Basically, it looks cool, but cost you a bit more $ when it comes time to buy rubber. Also it may cost you a couple MPG on the highway, but nothing world-shattering.

3) Dealership, stealership. Since you're in the Midwest, I suggest Steve at Autobeyours. I don't know exactly where in Wisconsin you're living, but it's worth a shot to check him out, because his prices are going to be far better than a dealership's.

Hope that answers all your questions. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen toyota dealerships misrepresent non touring as touring models so you better learn to spot the differences as those small private dealerships almost always get it wrong.

If I lived down south I would buy a touring and run the 16" tires yearround. But since I live in the north I prefer the 15" non touring standard wheels as i like to put winter tires on those and then buy nicer 17" wheels for the summer.

private party value is typically about halfway between trade in value and retail value. So you'll save money and the seller will make more money over trading it in, everybody wins except you if the seller is dishonest. pay extra for a car with good service history, I believe toyo cpo comes with 7 year 100K mile warranty but that increases the price as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At 8k you're probably looking at a 2004 or 2005 with lower mileage or 2006, 2007 with higher mileage. I got my 2004 in Feb with 65k miles for 8.5k. Sounds like you need a car ASAP so you will probably have to settle for what you can find in your immediate area. Look at Kelly Blue Book to verify prices.

1 person likes this.
  5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1 on Steve at Autobeyours. His cars are salvage but he fixes them up like new. He also provides excellent support after the sale. I bought my '06 from him and have had no problems. Great guy, great reputation.

1 person likes this.
  6. shaneprius2005

shaneprius2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a 2005 Prius package six with navigation. It has 116,000 and got it for 9,900. I went cheap and took a loan out with the bank for 60 months LOL. Yeah I know long time but the payments are cheap. I drove from Pa to Va to get it. It's had all it's maintenance done since new. All recalls have also been completed. I think I got a pretty good deal. I found it on the Internet and called the dealership. Feels like a new car. Now just hoping the hybrid battery pack holds up for many more miles, and many more years.

1 person likes this.
  7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You may be able to find a high mileage '04 for $8K. You will have to be very diligent, watch craigslist like a hawk, and be prepared to jump in the car on a moment's notice. There just aren't that many good used Prii on the market right now.

The calling card of a Touring is 16" wheels. 75% of cars advertised as Touring aren't.

1 person likes this.
  8. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful insights and suggestions! They have helped a lot! I will continue my search and post any updates on what we find/buy. Casting my net wide.....
    Peter.

9. litljenarey

litljenarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heres my recommendations....take these with a grain of salt because I've had mine for a total of 48 hours.

I recommend driving them. Test drives, private party, dealers, friends. Any one you can get your hands on. Drive even those you have no interest in actually purchasing. After a few test drives, you can start to pick out when something is "just not right". You might not be able to pinpoint what, but these drive differently than your typical car and something you might be concerned about ends up being totally normal and something else might throw up some red flags and you find out its a big problem.

Buying from a dealer will ALWAYS cost more than a private party but if you require financing or would like a certified car or additional warrantee, buying from a dealer is an good option. Near me, there aren't alot of used ones so my options were extremely limited. Also the prices were higher- high gas prices plus limited supply= expensive and limited negoitation power. (ie, don't expect to walk into a dealership and get thousands off the list price like most cars, you'll probably get 10% or less if they are willing to be negotiable at all)

I ended up finding a Silver Pine Mica option 6 touring edition at a dealership. Beautiful car, great condition, 76k miles. List price was $15990. After my negative equity in my trade in, taxes, title, fees, etc I paid $17500 out the door. That was steal where I am. It was the very best car for sale in my area. Even the older ones, the ones with extremely high miles (over 150k, some over 200k) and absolutely base models without even smart key were SELLING in this area for $12000. Cheapest one I found was $9900 and was rusted, base model, 123k miles, seat torn, dented. Big piece of junk and it sold within the two weeks I was searching. :eek: So be prepared, look around and take your time finding the right one. It might be a big hassle but the cars last forever and you'll LOVE them, and you don't want to have something you settled for when you'll likely have it a long long time.

1 person likes this.
  10. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI: In many states you can not sell a salvage vehicle so you are stuck when you want to change vehicles. In many other states you have to go through a long and expensive process to certify a salvage vehicle as being roadworthy. The vast majority of dealers will not take a salvage vehicle in trade and I personally am one of the many individuals who would not purchase a salvage vehicle . There are a minority of states who will allow you to register and sell a salvage vehicle without bother - which is why I always carfax/autocheck any car purchase beforehand.

So be aware that the "great price" you receive on such a vehicle might not be such a great price should you decide to sell.

1 person likes this.
  11. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just put a deposit on a car I'll be picking up this Saturday. An 05 option 6 with 144xxx for $8500. I would rather it had less miles, but it's from the original owner with all service records and a clean carfax, and it's in excellent condition, so we decided to get it.

12. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

13. shaneprius2005

shaneprius2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the first part of this post I noticed the link for 2004-09 Prius and option packages. I clicked in to see the PDF. I have a 2005 package 6, car was made in Feb, anyways I have bluetooth. Noticed the option package for package 6 does not list bluetooth so that is an error. Bluetooth was aval in 2005.