1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Those that got a tint

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Frederickdawg, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got llumar atx 15 all around except for the windshield. Noticed both front door quarter glass had gaps on the top. uploadfromtaptalk1461853946590.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461853951706.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461853958658.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461853964401.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461853969749.jpg

LG-H901 ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you asking if that's acceptable? I'd say no.

3. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's just a bad job. At least those are the only bad spots.

GlennCocoBad likes this.
  4. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had just the two rear hatch windows done on my Prius and there were no gaps at the edges.

I think it's actually called Llumar ATC15.

That film transmits only 18% of visible light, it's illegal in most states:
    http://w3.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarSpecsAutoDomestic.pdf
    http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDocs/Law_Charts/State_Law_Chart.pdf
    So if a cop is feeling cranky.....

Does anybody know:
    - If a tint that is legal in the state where the car is registered is OK in a different state with a higher limit?
    - If the % is figured as the net transmittance of the window+tint or of the tint alone? I think they measure it by clamping a device over the edge of a window, which would mean they measure the net transmittance. The side windows of many cars (like the Prius) are already lightly tinted as they come from the factory.

5. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    gaps around the edges, that's a no no for me.

6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I think they could do a better fit on your quarter windows. And I was wondering... How do we really know what brand, and quality, of tint they are putting on our cars? It all looks the same to me.

I can't tell the $150 tint from the $400 tint! (Should we ask the manager to show us the actual box the tint comes in?) My Camry tint job was $150, eleven years ago... and it lasted just fine for 11 years. Now the same shop charges $175. A bargain. Why should I fork out four hundred clams???

7. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cops use a 2 piece device that they hold and place something on the other side to get the reading. It is all-inclusive. factory shade + aftermarket tint. I failed an inspection (on 1 window) once and the only option was to get a police officer to retest it for me. I failed and had to get the window redone.

In NC you have to get the tint tested every year to pass inspection.

8. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I've had at least 5 vehicles done by the same store in the past. They have a new person applying the film now. I consider myself a reasonable paying customer, I've never gone back for small items like a few tiny air bubbles here or there nor a bit of dust .
    I was cleaning the Prius interior after it was done yesterday and wanted to inspect the seals and glass for damage , surprisingly little damage caused. Appart from the three areas mentioned for the tint, I did notice a scratch on the passenger door interior trim area, right where the top of the door panel sinks down an inch or two. Luckily can't see it unless window open and looking down .

I always consider myself fortunate after someone has taken our vehicles in for "work" and it comes back with no dings or scratches.

LG-H901 ?

#8 Frederickdawg, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  9. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Decided not to ask them to redo the two quarter windows for gaps. The way I see it, if the installer couldn't do it right the first time... Last thing I want is him damaging or cutting seals. Plus from my own experience in my long life of car ownership, the less people " mess " around with "fixing" things the better it is. As 9 times out of 10 they eff up something else. Not worth my stress levels anymore. Or me punching him in the throat and ending up in jail then deported. LOL

LG-H901 ?

vince22 likes this.
  10. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    100% agree, leave it alone if it doesn't bother you.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  11. jamiec123

jamiec123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I've had 8 different cars tinted at the same place by the same guy. I have that tiny gap as well with my Prius. I didn't notice it until about a week or so later. It doesn't bother me because you can't see it unless you actually look for it.
    When I in my normal position in the car driving I can't see it because the a pillar block the view on both sides.
    Maybe when they cut the tint to fit on the outside of the window the seal is a little bigger so when they actually put the tint on the inside it creates the gap? That was my theory anyway.