1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thought I did everything right. Nope.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mark Hom, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Mark Hom

Mark Hom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello
    I have an 05 Prius. I assume that's Gen2. My hybrid battery went bad. I bought a used battery from an individual who told me modules tested between 7.38 and 7.6. I installed and after about five miles the replacement codes came back. I don't know what to do next. If both batteries are bad maybe I could Frankenstein them together but everything I am reading about replacing modules... Well it looks like it's beyond me. The only odd thing I did was put my orange safety switch on the new(er) because the part was missing.

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to proceed next.

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    if it starts, the safety switch is fine. do you know any more about the history of the replacement battery?
    how many miles on your car, and how long do you plan to keep it. a new battery can be had for around two thousand bucks.

#2 bisco, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. Mark Hom

Mark Hom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other battery came out of a vehicle with front end damage and has about 107k on it. My vehicle has 260k.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the codes need to be erased. can you post them here? what are you reading them with?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    7.3 and 7.6 probably under load creates a large enough delta (think difference in voltage between modules)
    To log a code.
    Whatever .....the car is not happy you still have bad modules.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone should weigh in soon, who actually knows what they're talking about, but in the interim: if I recall correctly that's way too much of a range.

7. Mark Hom

Mark Hom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did go to AutoZone and the code came back for change hybrid battery pack. I cleared it at the store with their tool and the codes returned.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    their readers aren't prius specific. but ed is right, the delta is probably too large. maybe the seller wasn't being totally honest.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol. Welcome to the new wild Wild West of battery repair on Craigslist. Sucker born every minute comes to mind. There’s no deals to be had. If it’s a Craigslist deal it’s an out right lie. It’s all bullshit, there’s no way to fix a bad battery using used modules without painstaking time and testing of each and every battery module even then it’s a crapshoot because they are used 8 year old modules at best. That takes a lot of time.
    If they say REBUILT the clock is ticking every single mile. Personally I can’t live like that.

Only way is to buy a new Toyota battery or a member here 2ktoaster is selling a different style system with brand new modules. Search.

uart and jerrymildred like this.
  10. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I couldn't disagree more. The OP has a 12 year old car with 260K miles. With a car like that repairs are just buying time. The key is to put in minimal time and money to get as many more miles and years as possible. A new battery is just too much money to put in such an old car.

Well,
    It sounds like you have already managed to pull and replace the batteries by yourself. Are you comfortable with opening up and disassembling a battery by yourself? As a word of caution high voltage is present until all the bus bars are removed from one side of the battery. When the cover comes off the bus bars should be immediately removed.

With two core battery packs to work with you already own enough modules to run your car up to half a million miles. A full battery reconditioning can take a lot of time and equipment. A DIY approach can use many short cuts as long as your'e OK with repeating the process in a few months.

At a minimum you'll need a code reader capable of reading the battery block voltages in real time. A Mini VCI cable with Toyota Techstream and an old windows laptop would work. A blue tooth OBDII reader with Torque Pro, the custom Prius PID's, and an Android phone would do also. Either setup cost's less than $50.

Learn how to do a forced charge and discharge while monitoring the block voltages. This can be done in five minutes sitting in the drivers seat. The bad modules will clearly stand out. Just before pulling the batteries use a forced charge to bring them to a 80% SOC. Do this to both your batteries and then pull some good modules out of one to replace the bad in the other.

Repeat the process in a few months. It will go quicker the second time.

Brad

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He didn't pull anything he put a used battery into his car. And he says its probably beyond him to do anything more and your going on and on about rebuilding batteries. Take 4 seconds and read the post.

Raytheeagle likes this.