1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts and ideas for Prius ownership during quarantine/“stay at home” orders

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stephensprius, Apr 14, 2020.

1. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    hi guys!
    first and foremost, I hope that you are all safe and well!

Just as my title suggests, just wondering what those folks are doing with a gen 3 or 4 Prius at home in their garage during stay at home or quarantine orders.

I have been taking a ride every few days or so with both of our vehicles: 2013 Prius and a 2016 Honda CR-V. This afternoon I drove the Prius for the first time since Sunday afternoon, the vehicle at start up shook from the engine-bay a little violently, almost felt like something was loose or something in the motor, couldn’t tell exactly as I was in driver seat. I turned off the car and tried again with hood open and it did not occur again.

what are you guys doing to make sure the car is still in good driving shape and nothing happens? Is there anything specific because of the hybrid set up in Prius vs any normal standard non-hybrid car? Should I be driving it more than couple times per week?

sorry for the long winded note here. Take care everyone!

thx!

steve

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i drive mine everyday about 8 miles. i have nothing else to do :oops:

otherwise, i'd pump up the tires and disconnect the 12v, or put a maintainer on it.

the violent shaking is either unburned hydrocarbons, or a clogged egr circuit, and has nothing to do with the inactivity.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every once in a while mine will shack and/or make noise when I start it from sitting overnight.
    This happens sometimes when I move the Prius and the engine starts before I finish moving it.
    I hit the EV button, but if the hybrid battery is lower, it won't go in the EV mode, and the engine starts.
    I don't waste my time or the gas waiting for it to finishing running to warm up the engine since I'm not going to drive it.
    And because of that, there is fuel that doesn't get burnt in the cylinders. So in the cold(ER) morning, there is
    too much fuel in one or more cylinders, and it knocks.
    If it doesn't stop in 2 or 3 seconds, I shut it off, and restart it and no more knocking.

But I know my egr system is clear and the head gasket is NOT leaking.

bisco likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put in a OCC and you’ll be knock free. I’ve been 2 years knock free with an OCC.

I’m an essential slacker, I mean worker, so I am still working the front line and still driving 100 miles 5 times a day.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not driving either of my cars that frequently. So far, just one drive for each car once every 1 to 2 weeks. Both are accustomed to being parked for whole months several times each year.

But I am using a 12V battery tender occasionally.

6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you need to bring it to one of the drive thru testing centers.
    They'll probably stick a giant Q-tip, um, up the tail pipe and within few days you'll know if your car has caught the virus or not.

The giveaway is if it is running a bit too hot...more than 100.4F
    I heard that it jumped from humans to tigers, but didn't know it could jump to hybrids.

Mike

AzusaPrius likes this.