1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on 2020 prime from Canada

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by dexterwang, Aug 17, 2019.

1. dexterwang

dexterwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Just for the brand new fully loaded prime I. Canada a couple of weeks ago. Great car so far! Here are some quick thoughts for potential Canadian buyers. *upgraded from 2016 Prius.

Pros:
    -2020 additions are awesome
    5 seater makes it much more versatile. The extending sun visor is great. Finally apple carplay (main reason why I waited)
    -electric engine very zippy.
    -range roughly 50km with conservative driving.
    -with mixed hybrid driving, I can probably get 100km with 1L gas and full charge.
    -less road noise compared to previous Prius

Cons:
    -large center screen has terrible resolution. Can barely read the road names for apple car play and apps. Clearly not optimized. Considering how cheap lcd screens are nowadays, Toyota really should have stepped it up.
    -key range is short. Don’t know if it’s just my keys but I have to be maybe 5m away before I can lock/unlock it.
    -hard to customize central screen. -I want CarPlay on with driving trip info on bottom, But I can only get the ac control stuff.

All in all. Loving the car. Look wise is a big upgrade from 2016 Prius as well.

MichinZen, GTprii and bisco like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! We have questions about the 2020 Prime - Canadian spec lol. I guess the main one is CarPlay - only climate control is available on the bottom half, eh?

Also, there's no Safety Connect or Entune Apps? (So no Predictive Efficient Drive or Charging Station POI? The latter is an option for me but of course doesn't show up because I don't have Entune. The former is only available in the US so it'll show up in the menu when you cross the border).

The 11.6" screen is actually 1920x1080 resolution so it's clearly an optimisation issue with CarPlay. I don't know if iOS13 will make any difference to the interface resolution or whether it's baked into the headunit.

3. dexterwang

dexterwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I haven’t seen options for the predictive efficient drive or charge poi.

I wish I could change the climate control on the bottom when CarPlay is on. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they removed the Charging Station POI option (which would make sense if it doesn't do anything...). It's under "Options" --> Map Information. Touch the screen one to remove the overlay of the 3 bubbles, then the "Options" button should appear on the top left.

PED doesn't show up unless you're in the US so just check out that screen when you're in the US. It does take several repeated drives so unless you regularly drive through the same roads in the US, you probably won't see the leaf markers.

upload_2019-8-17_17-18-3.png

upload_2019-8-17_17-18-17.png

upload_2019-8-17_17-18-33.png

5. dexterwang

dexterwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Thanks for the info! I’ll check it out.