1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on $32K base price?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by web1b, Sep 19, 2011.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

If I had a commute short enough were I could go to work and back within the roughly 10 mile realistic EV range (constant a/c or heating use, plus radio, headlights on and no unusually slow-driving hypermiling techniques) it would be kind of fun to drive without going to gas stations until I needed to go on a road trip.
    However that range would not even get me one way to work (and there is no charger available at work), so I would still have to use gas every day.

For a $9K premium over a 2012 Prius II, this car doesn't make sense except as a fun tech toy for people with money to burn.
    In my case, a Nissan Leaf plus renting a car for the very few (maybe 3 or 4) times a year I leave town by car would make more sense than a PHV and a regular Prius would make the most sense.

What do you think?

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Deleted duplicate partial post

3. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Leaf is better if you are a multicar family, as a single person, I would still need to keep my Prius if I bought a Leaf, because of the range limits of a pure EV

As a 1 car owner, the PiP is correct for me, even though I would like to go %100 electric. My commute is 17 miles each way, and I can most likely plug in in the parking garage at work. The goal of nearly %100 EV on my commute will be very close, and I will use far less gasoline than I do now. For errands around town, the 15 mile range is just fine.

It does't have to be "all or nothing", and the PiP is a good start for most average people, to weaning them off gasoline.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    There'll be some PHEV buyers that are buying a prius for the 1st time. So the $32k turns on what you're replacing. We went from a Ford Exploader to our Gen II Prius ... now well over 100k miles on it.

What do WE think of the $32K ?? It's $8K less than the Volt. Then, when you deduct fed money and (in some cases) state money, it's a great deal ... especially as gas continue to rise in supply and decrease in availability.

5. web1b

web1b Active Member

The Volt gets you are more useful EV range that will cover alot more people's commutes than the PHV.

I didn't know the Prius PHV met the requirements for the tax credits. Isn't for true EV vehicles, not plug-in hybrids?
    If there is a tax credit, what federal credit does the 2012 Prius PHV qualify for?

I know the $7500 federal tax credit for EVs is not worth $7500 unless you still have a $7500 or more tax liability remaining after taking all your other deductions (mortgage interest, property tax etc.) . Many people will not really get anywhere near $7500 back after buying an EV.
    Same probably applies to the *up to* $5000 state tax credit for EVs in California. Don't count your tax credits before they're hatched.

6. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it's $3,000 less than a Volt.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask me in 2-3 years.
    There's not going to be very many "base" model PHV's on the road for a looooong time, just like it's hard right now to go out and buy a $24,000 "base" model G3. The first year's production will go for those who pre-order, as it should.

I'm glad that the PVH is getting closer to emerging from its elephantine gestation period, and it'll be good to hear some first hand reports from "for-real" drivers out there.

Like the Volt and the Leaf however, they're out of my economic depth band, so it's hard for me to get really exited about the PHVs.

8. web1b

web1b Active Member

I think the Volt looks old and outdated already, but at only $3K more than a PHV, it seems to make more sense than the PHV. However, this link says it's $39,995 base: 2012 Chevrolet Volt Gets Price Cut
    Still too expensive more most people at $40K base. $46K in top trim all options.
    I would lease one to get the full federal tax credit guaranteed and taken off the top, except what am I going to get after the lease expires? The technology and pricing will not change much in 3 years and the tax credits will probably be gone.
    Unless the tax credits get extended, the EV sales will bomb out in a few years.

9. web1b

web1b Active Member

Other than temporary shortages caused by the Japan earthquake, it is not that hard to buy a Prius II base if you really want want one and don't need it same day.
    The "base" PHV is going to have to be reasonably available or the sales are going to be that much smaller as an even wider demographic gets priced out of the market for one.

10. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was under the impression the Prii family line-up would all be PHV compatable in a few years' time, no?

11. web1b

web1b Active Member

I think they said they would not do that any time soon so they can keep the prices more affordable. Maybe, by Gen 5, plug-in capability will add a trivial amount of cost by then and they will just make it standard.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes, but it costs LESS. Then you get to throw Calif. money/incentives on it too. Volt doesn't qualify for state funds . . . . being a dirtier emission vehicle.

13. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't get why people post "this car wouldn't work for me, ergo x car is so much better and no one other than a fringe few should buy the plug-in."

You also ignore that the base plug-in prius is NOT equivalent to the Prius 2, the tax credits, and the fact that after calculating it out, it may actually come out ahead financially. And even if not, people may just want to buy it for the cool factor.

For me, I have a long commute, plus with me having a 3rd gen already, makes it not viable from a financial (depreciation, doh) persective, nor could I justify the gain in MPG with the plugin because of my 35-mile/one way commutte. That might change in the future, and one day I do hope to get a plug-in.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i doubt it, as it costs money.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    1) You need to redo your math. Once the PHEV Prius & the Volt go about 70-ish miles down the road ... the PHEV Prius will be out-performing the Volt, both range and mileage wise. That's because the PHEV Prius's CS mileage is almost 40% greater than the Volt ... & that's discounting the Volt's dirtier emissions, premium gas, & only 4 seat capacity. Still, if those elements don't bug you - good luck!

:)

2) CA money is NOT a tax credit ... it's rebate money ... independent of tax liability. See my recent post under "hybrid news".

16. web1b

web1b Active Member

Yes, it would be a cool technology toy if you want to spend that much money on toys.
    I don't see how the rebate plus fuel saving could work out to make less expensive vs a non-plug-in Prius. The people who have a sub 5 mile each way commute or roughly 10 or less mile commute with free plug-in access at work will get the most benefit. That is a "fringe" group of a small percentage of potential buyers

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These *EVs are not responsible for my locality making electricity from coal, or my neighborhood association of maroon republicans getting in the way of PV -- so I'll just answer AS IF the EV miles were clean and petrol free:

The corded Prius' base package is nice, and I am ok with paying about $26k for it. Is the $3500 remainder (after tax credit) a good deal for society ? I estimate over the life of the car it will displace about 100k petrol miles, meaning it costs 3.5 cents to avoid a petrol mile.

Consumer reports estimates that total cost of ownership for a Prius is somewhere around 35 - 40 cents a mile IIRC, so the surcharge is about 10%. That is remarkably inexpensive for novel technology that does not have volume production or experience to draw down the price.

I call it a slam dunk if you can run the car off clean energy. Heck, just the price of oil sends about 4 cents a mile out of the country to OPEC*.

* numbers based on cordless Prius

1 person likes this.
  18. web1b

web1b Active Member

OK, then in CA the price will be $32K for the base model plus sales tax and registration fees based on the full price of $32K. OTD price around $35K up front.
    Then $3000 CA rebate and federal tax credit up to a maximum of $2500 when you complete taxes and get refunds the following year. Net OTD price somewhere around $29.5K for California buyers if you get the entire federal tax credit and don't pay over MSRP.

19. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thoughts on the 32000 base price is, not a chance i would spend 32000 for a car that claims to get 15 miles on ev, that price takes me out of buying the car, i have a 2011 prius runs just fine, i get mid 50s with the car,to sell this car and pay 9000 more is crazy, when people were talking about 29000 it made me think .toyota my opinion this will not be a good thing for you, oh well thats life

20. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    32K sure buys a lot of Gas.... without spending the extra $400+(per month) on the car note to boot....