1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on $32K base price?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by web1b, Sep 19, 2011.

1. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, there's a few more formalities that need to take place before the CCSE can start writing checks for cars that have already been purchased since the 2010-2011 CVRP funds ran out in June. In the mean time, CCSE is taking reservations for 2011-2012 funds. Most of the reservations are from Nissan LEAF owners.

2. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There were a lot of great responses to my logic, I guess I should have prefaced it by saying, it comes from the standpoint of someone, namely me, who was looking to buy a mid level Prius and does not currently have a Prius. I don't think I could financially justify buying a Plug-in Prius if I had a Prius already. Now, there are plenty of other reasons that someone might want to buy, and if that's you, more power to you. :)

The only option that I really, really, wanted and was willing to pay for was the 3 door smart key (heck, I would have been happy with a 2 door smart key, driver and hatch). If that was available on a 2, I'd probably already have a 2011 Prius 2 and save a ton of money. I know I could mod my car to do so but I'm not much of a mod-er... at least, not while under warranty.

And those of us who buy Toyota vehicles know that this is how Toyota does things. They package things together and force you to buy options that you don't want/need to get the options you do. Go and build any vehicle on toyota.com and you'll see maybe 2 or 3 option packages, and a few accessories. Build a vehicle on any other maker's website, you'll see 5-6 package options and a ton of different individual options you can add, as well as another ton of accessories. Why they do that I don't know, maybe it streamlines the production process, maybe it makes them more money, probably both. But, it's the way Toyota works. ;)

You have to buy a car to be on the wait list. Basically, from what I've read, the funding goes to the wait list first...

You may not get the money right away, but from what I've read you will get it eventually...

3. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The true options you can get on a Toyota are listed under the specification page. When you "build your own", you fill out your zip code and it limits the options to what you'll regularly find on the lot. If you want something different, you can definitely order it.

When I bought my VW GTI, I checked off all the options I wanted and built it exactly as I wanted it. So, I start calling dealers. And none of them have a thing that is remotely close to what I want. I finally found a dealer that was willing to order it for me and 4 months later I finally had my car. I think Toyota's philosophy with the build your own is to show you what you can easily get. It at least keeps you from getting your hopes up.

The Prius is sort of a different animal versus most other Toyotas. They set it up where you cumulatively add features as you move from Two to Five and there is maybe an option or two for each trim at the most.

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This^^^. Shades of 2005 all over again.

The fact is that there simply is NO economic justification for buying a more expensive NEW vehicle over a USED vehicle. Both get one from A to B. Doing this exercise is a effort in pure justification.

Simply put. If one likes the Prius PHV, buy it and love it. If one has doubts..( here's the kicker )..wait a few years and buy a USED PHV :rockon: and get the double benefit of the PHV and a lower price.

Right now a USED 2009 Prius ( purchased correctly ) is a steal over any other NEW smaller competitor in terms of fuel usage, room, content, safety features and even comfort.

5. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm only doing it for the green Carpool stickers.

Since July 1, it's been hell for me on the 5 and 405... I could spend half as much ($16,000) on a Scion iQ and get the room I can work with, the mileage I am pleased with (40), and a CVT and all the goodies I'm happy with for a point-n-shoot car. But, sitting in traffic burning gas idling is aggravating.

An all-'lectric LEAF won't get me everywhere w/o plugging in every 100 miles or so ... meaning I'd need a LEAF + another car to go anywhere far, and that won't make sense for my lifestyle anyway.

That's how I rationalize spending the extra $ - I need to spend less time on the freeways! THAT is worth its weight in gold. Only way to buy time!!!

Dianne

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    funds ran out? ... reservations? ... Link? CCSE funds ONLY ran out as to the $5,000 amount. Those funds have already been repleneshed with the new/smaller $2,500 amount that will apply to a much larger volume of buyers. CCSE required DELIVERY of our Leaf, as well as proof of registration (even temporary) when we applied for/received our $5,000 check just 6 months ago - there was no reservation. Is this something new?

EDIT:
    Oh - I just went to the CCSE web page and yep ... it's something new;

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol it's been that way for months…not exactly new.