1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on a PIP with over 100k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Prius2NE1, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Prius2NE1

Prius2NE1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For some reason consumers are really focused on the total mileage a preowned vehicle has, and this factor somehow plays important towards its market value. I have been looking around for previously loved PIPs, and I have found a few that are a bit over 100k miles, like 103k. This "100k miles" point is something that in part causes me to feel a bit nervous, because in simple that PIP has endured a lengthy deal of travel. My other thoughts go towards the internal battery, and its health status. I'm wondering if I'm being silly since lithium-ion batteries age and deteriorate very slowly. Plus, people are still driving the first generation Prius with well over 100k miles.

But then n the Toyota PIP brochure from 2012 on page 05, Toyota states, "Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty."

So because of this, I'm debating if I should be looking for a PIP with less than 100k miles in order to stay within the Toyota hybrid warranty, or defy the fear and go ahead with a PIP that is no longer covered. What are your thoughts on this situation?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. it only covers complete failure, and there hasn't even been one yet. i would not let the miles bother me if the car was reasonably taken care of and no accidents.

keep in mind, pips are mostly going for cheap, so price should be commensurate with miles. all the best!(y)

mrlebop and Prius2NE1 like this.
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you live in a CARB state, the battery is warranted for 10yr/150,000 mi.
    Nobody knows what happens after that. I'm hoping that the decay is gradual and the car will end up being like a regular Prius. I can say that even at 100K miles, my PiP, without charging, gets better mileage that a standard Prius. I think it's because the higher battery capacity stores more regenerative capacity as you drive. If I drive down a long grade, the battery will store one mile or more of capacity.

Of course, there's the fear that these cars will hit 150K and the batty dies and Toyota wants $10K for a new one. But, more likely, failure will be gradual and we'll stretch it out to 250,000 or 300,000... Or else somebody will figure out how to rebuild these bad boys.

CraigCSJ likes this.