1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on Automatic vs SGII?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ZPriusv5, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been mulling over asking my wife for a SGII for my birthday in May, but I think i may have just found an alternative.

This looks like a ScanGauge II type device WITH intelligence to coach my driving, for only $69.95. I'm sending a "contact us" form to ask how much of the OBDII data will be available to the app and can it do some of the X-Gauge type functionality that ScanGauge II can. My guess is that the App won't have all that much power, but if it gave me the key figures like instant FE and average FE at the same time (which I can't see on my Prius V.5 dashboard at the same time) I'd be happy.

If it could send codes to stop the backup beep - that would be a cherry on the top!

Automatic - Your Smart Driving Assistant

2. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like they took one of those ELM Bluetooth OBDII readers and paired it with some nice looking software. I'd consider it if I had an iPhone.

Does anybody know if you can have a Bluetooth connection to one of these gizmos and still stream audio to the headunit via Bluetooth?

3. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like it works with Android phones too, but given they have two different ship dates for those, I guess they are doing different hardware device to send different stuff to iOS vs. Android.

According to the FAQ, you would still be able to stream audio:
    Can I use Automatic while my phone is paired with another Bluetooth device?

Yes! Automatic works seamlessly with other Bluetooth peripherals like a Bluetooth headset or your car's hands-free calling system.

4. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is what I submitted on the Contact Us page... I'll post any response I get:

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully someone will get one of these and do a review... I suspect that ScanGauguge and the Torque app having been around longer is going to have way more features. But who knows maybe they'll catch up or offer something that others don't offer?

6. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    got a reply to my question

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    in other words this isn't a geek tech device... This is a fear-safety device that's an alternative to onstar, which is cost prohibitive to any sane person who wants to feel like someone is looking after them.

sardog likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My dealer turned off the backup beeps for free. And the display switch on the steering wheel allows you to switch back and forth between the MPG displays you describe.

I've have and OBD2 reader but would I want to work on the Prius? It isn't a car with free workshop manuals available and is just a bit too complicated for this guy.

Sounds like you want a new toy.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With Prius Chat you can not only get the section of workshop manual you need from people on here, but you can also usually get videos that show how its done, as well as talk direct to people who have done what you want to do. Vehicle DIY has never been safer, more rewarding and fun because of PriusChat!

10. sardog

sardog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I emailed them too...

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if it's that extreme. The only onstar-like feature it has is the crash detection, which presumably can be disabled. It's certainly not as "deep" as far as the information it displays, but some of those location-based features look really handy and it looks way more user friendly than Torque at least. I haven't looked at SGII much b/c of the cost. I don't think Torque can plot fuel economy performance on a map right in the app. Plus since they are providing the OBDII dongle, you presumably don't have to worry about compatibility issues. I guess it mostly depends on how much data you want and how easy it is to use. This Automatic thing gives you a lot less raw data...but it also looks way easier to configure and use. I'm probably going to wait until this thing drops for Android in the fall before I decide; that dongle may well be compatible with Torque anyway. Best of both worlds then.

12. sardog

sardog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I pre-ordered hoping that it's the same Bluetooth 4.0 device for both iPhone & android. My thoughts...it's cheaper for them to have one device for both Apple & android (only one part number) I'm betting the fall wait is for android app development not hardware.
    If my guess work is right I'll buy torque & a Bluetooth 4.0 compatible android tablet at some point.

13. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have the Scangauge II which I got on a great deal off of Amazon. I installed on the steering wheel column just behind the wheel. With the codes its pretty easy to make the common adjustments (backup beep, etc). I like having mine set to instant MPG and avg on trip while I have the dash one set to avg MPG for the tank. Its nice to have but not necessarily a must unless you are really into monitoring your numbers and hypermiling. The deal was around $100 so it was hard to pass up on.

sardog likes this.
  14. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I neglected to add that the Scangauge also lets me have engine RPM and engine temp along with the instant MPG and avg MPG for trip on same screen. So those four along with having the avg MPG for tank serve me pretty well as far as stats I am interested in. And I was able to turn the backup beep to just one beep pretty easily. I may not have bought it at full price $160 but for $100 I thought it was worth the price.