1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on Fumoto Valves?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pnw_jk, May 10, 2022.

1. pnw_jk

pnw_jk New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have a Fumoto valve on their Gen 4 Prius and have thoughts or experiences with it? Reading online, it seems like the bee's knees especially since I always manage to get a few drops over my drive way, hands and face when doing oil changes—the location of my house on a hill means it's always a little windy here. Do other people here think it's worth the $ and the additional gadgetry? Do people recommend the short or long version (especially since the Prius already has a skid plate)?

I have a 2016 Prius 3 that's lifted with an aluminum skid plate since I go on some not very well maintained forest roads when I go backpacking/hiking here in the PNW. So my Prius does have some higher level of ground clearance.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not installed it on my current PP (Prius Prime) yet, but I plan to install Fumoto as soon as my 2 free Toyota Care oil change is over and I start the DIY oil change. In addition to the ease of oil change with no mess, you can avoid repeated drain plug tightening which sometimes results in the stripped threads on the oil pan. I have Fumoto installed on our other SUV. So much easier, and no oil spillage. If you want to use the hose connection then I suggest using F-133S with a short nipple.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not a fan, mostly due to keep-it-simple principle. Can they get sheared off?? The drain is a lot slower?

If you're DIY, abide by the torque spec (attached), it's pretty straightforward to just remove/install the drain bolt. There is a magnetic gizmo you can get to get a little distance between your fingers and the drain bolt. My son got me one, and I use it, mainly to appease him though. :whistle:

As far as oil spills, there's always going to be a drop or two spilled. I find the oil filter swap is responsible, as often as not.

Info: OTC Tools 5911A Drain Plug Pro Magnetic Remover

Attached Files:

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fumoto valves are very convenient and easy to to use for less mess.

However, the fact that the valve remains screwed up into the oil pan means that there will be a (small) volume of oil that remains in the bottom of the oil pan. This is confirmed by unscrewing and removing the Fumoto valve after the oil stops dripping out, more oil comes out.

What I do? Drain the majority of the oil out using the Fumoto valve neatly, then unscrew the valve, like a traditional drain bolt, to get the last bit of oil out of the oil pan.

Removing the oil filter, for me, remains the messiest part of the oil change.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I prefer an aluminum drain valve with a magnet. Aluminum has less tensile strength and is more ductile than mild steel. It will sacrifice itself before deforming the steel threads in the oil pan. The magnet makes it convenient when the plug is unscrewed. It will catch itself on the steel oil pan and not drop into the drain pan. Then, all you need to do is to grab it with a paper towel and clean it before reusing it.