1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

thoughts on fusion hybrid?

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by stephensprius, Sep 9, 2013.

1. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    i really like the new look of the fusion. my brother in law has a 2012 lincoln mkz hybrid that does very good fuel economy. i currently have a 2012 prius, lease. thinking i want something larger for my kids. not sure how i feel about ford though.

2. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ford is not bad IMO however note the Fusion trunk is frustratingly tiny and just plain weird-

[​IMG]

and the mileage I don't think is as good as Prius, but not sure.

I would recommend you take a look at one in person.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife drives the 2010 Fusion Hybrid and loves it. It is an extremely comfortable car. She routinely achieves slightly above the EPA; when I drove it for a week, I was pushing 60mpg.

I have not yet driven the new generation of the Fusion Hybrid but I put it on the top of my family sedan hybrid vehicles list.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I couldn't go back to a 'trunk' after now having 4 'liftbacks', you can put so much more in em'.

5. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    even in the 2013 or 2014 the trunk is small? i thought this changed with the new lithium ion?

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's a pic of a 2013 hybrid trunk.

[​IMG]

Here's a 2011 hybrid trunk:

[​IMG]

7. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yeah, that is a main concern. I have two little kids all all of their things. I do like/love the new fusion design. it would probably be a bit more legroom for the kids in back than my prius too.

8. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    wow. thanks. that didn't take long. lol

9. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Paradox: you ordered a 2014 v? what made you switch to a v?

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I have a 14' v on order, should be arriving quite soon (I hope!). The extra cargo space (60% more I believe over the liftback), reclining rear seats and slightly more room over the liftback with a minor reduction in MPG for my family and our longer trips will be welcomed. Plus, having driven all 4 variants of the Prius family, I really like the way the Prius v drives to be honest. For being the largest it drives quite nice.

11. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    nice. i have not driven a prius v. my main concern is the lack of power in the v. i have the regular liftback and i think it's limited getting up to speed on the highway, especially when loaded up with the kids, cooler in back, stroller, etc. if i put more stuff in the v, which i would, wouldn't it be even slower? it has same engine as prius lift.

did you feel the v drove the same as the liftback?

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

They made some changes to the powertrain to compensate for what you are nervous about. Here's a quick description borrowed from Wikipedia for the Prius v:

Myself and the other Prius Experts were all quite happy with the feel and drives in the v. On one of the last What Drives Us podcasts I did, those of us on all agreed it was our favorite Prius in the family.

When I drove one around LA for a few hours, I didn't much care for MPG and actually tested its, err, capabilities and still ended up with 42mpg.

13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Parodox - to me the v drive's better than the liftback. In all modes it seems just as responsive as the liftback too.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it's OT, but I'd more or less agree, with the exception that I didn't feel a Prius v Five was as responsive as my 2010 Liftback. It did feel heavier, and not as "fast". I did, however, find the Prius v to be more comfortable to drive, and the kids felt like there was more room in the back when seated 3-across (with one carseat).

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Liftback is much more fun than the v to scoot in and out of traffic around town, but I typically don't drive like that. The v has a much more planted feel to it's ride on the road and doesn't wander nearly as much. Can't say if it the same with a v2 or v3 since I haven't driven one.

16. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I think before i go to a ford lot, i will check out the prius v. I am also very tempted to wait until the new generation of prius comes out. there have been rumors circulating that there could be an awd version, which would absolutely SEAL THE DEAL

17. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    We have both a current gen Prius and a 2013 Fusion Hybrid. At some point I'll get around to writing a detailed comparison of the two cars.

In brief the FFH has both Pros & Cons
    • Way more comfortable than the Prius - the FFH with the Luxury Package with leather seats is amazingly comfortable. We took our car on two long road trips and after spending 13-14 hours in the car driving we weren't worn out but were refreshed because the seats are so comfy
    • The trunk space is awkward, but the rear seats fold down flat which makes up for it
    • The FFH corners way better than the Prius and you can accelerate more quickly without losing peak efficiency - it's hard to accelerate in the Prius without going out of the Eco zone and into the Pwr zone. In the FFH it's easy to accelerate and still get a 100 score from the acceleration coach (comparable to staying in the Eco zone)
    • The FFH can get better gas mileage than the Prius on medium length trips - on trips less than 10 miles starting with a cold engine the FFH always gets better gas mileage than the Prius
    • The Prius is more efficient on the highway and on longer trips since it has a lower Cd and a smaller engine
    • The Prius has more usable cargo space
    • The Prius always has push-button start, this isn't a standard feature on the FFH
    • The Prius will get good MPG even if you drive like a maniac - the current tank has been about half my driving and half my wife driving and it's still showing about 50 MPG according to the display. In the FFH I can average 55-60 easily but my wife would usually only get around 40 MPG because she accelerates aggressively and brakes late. The FFH's MPGs are way more sensitive to driving style than the Prius
    • The FFH has some really neat hybrid displays that Toyota doesn't offer
    • Click on the links in my signature below for more detailed MPG data for the FFH

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't work for me. My 42" long drum hardware case doesn't come close to fitting in the trunk.

camera 534.jpg

Side panels for trunk lid arms suck up lots of width camera 535.jpg camera 536.jpg

The case will fit in Camry, Accord, Altime, .... conventional trunks, maybe Cam Hy trunk.

19. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the Ford Fusion hybrid ( any other Hybrid) is a great car also. Everyone has different wants & needs. The prius worked for me but I would not knock the Ford. The hatchback & higher MPG is what sold me on the Prius.

hybridbear likes this.
  20. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a prius, my parents have two lincoln hybrids, (although they live 500 miles away so I don't get to really investigate them thoroughly).

I'm ready to buy another hybrid after my prius just got totaled.

I would get a prius no question if it wasn't for the extremely excessive road noise over 70 mph. I often drive customers 50 miles from the local airports and the prius just isn't serious enough about being a chauffer car. (but I was able to fit a family of four in there with luggage which was amazing).

The fusion hybrids look so much more comefortable and quiter.... but i'd never be able to take more then two people from the airports if they had luggage. Oh man its a tough decision.

Are the ford as reliable as the prius's? My prius has 190k on it and I was planning on taking it to 300k.

But to be honest, it is not a drivers car by any means on the highway. Its like a tin can with a very tiresome, loud obnoxious ride.

I'd gladdly sacrifice some MPG for some refinement. I wonder how much more refined the CT200h is...