1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on new Master Plan?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by markabele, Jul 22, 2016.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    i for one apologize for my part in derailing the thread. At post #17, somehow I wrongly thought the OP was published in "Hybrid/Alt vehicles" due to the flop onto hydrogen / Toyota. Old age ... easier to get distracted. Sorry!

Anyway ... the plan;
    [​IMG]
    Yea ! ! I'd hit that ...
    The plan - before the end if 2017 the order taking will be on the way. Oh the irony though ... burn a ton of cash to keep moving forward with these developments - and the naysayers crawl out of the woodwork 'worrying about profits. Stick to just one project - and the naysayers crawl out of the woodwork complaining "they're just a niche / one trick pony" .

#61 hill, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because many would like to drive their car out of state

And it is crowded because? Overcrowded charge stations is actually a good problem.
    The Supercharger network exists to allow people to drive their Teslas to other states, and it is extensive enough to do that for the majority of the US population. Then few people living in those currently underserved areas can still get a Tesla and use it with home charging.

Hill covered the Rav4, but I'll mention Tesla had to use the older generation, and not the new one that just came out. The FT is a tiny, low speed EV that would be be classified as a NEV in many states. It would compete against the Xebra and GEM EVs if it was available here. I don't know if Toyota actually offers them for sale.

The eQ is a BEV designed and marketed by people who hate BEVs. It has an EPA range of 38 miles, and would have cost more than a Leaf if it was ever sold to the public. Toyota quickly decided to make it lease only to a few fleet customers only. At least until someone realized that it was a horrible BEV, and simply cancelled it.
    Scion iQ EV - Actual Sales Versus Toyota's Initial Expectations
    Mercedes partnered with Tesla first, how was their experience with them?

Well, GM is right, but I think refueling advances are a bigger concern that makes pushing commercial production a poor plan at this point. When Arnold called for a hydrogen highway, the refueling standards were at 5000psi. Now they are at 10,000psi. The Mirai actually has 12,000psi tanks because that is what Japan is upgrading too. A Dutch group developed a method to fill the tanks quicker by prefilling with pressurized water. That will require a more expensive retrofit to existing stations and cars. Then research into hydride storage is still ongoing. Those small fuel cells for flashlights and small electronics use hydride storage.

Nissan's FCEV offering will simply ditch hydrogen, and use ethanol with onboard reforming for fuel. A Volvo group already has a working fuel cell doing so with diesel.

Sorry.
    Is there a link detailing Tesla's master plan? Preferably a non-video one.:D

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, that would be an instant buy for me as well. Is that just an artist rendering or is that directly from Tesla?

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What would one do with such a truck, it kinda reminds me of Subaru's last truck, The Brat....

sUBARU .jpg

5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You clearly don't get your hands dirty very often if you don't see the utility in either one of those vehicles.

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am big fan of Subaru, have owned four of them over the years, but the brat and the Tesla concept are not trucks, and real truck buyers are not going to be buying a Tesla truck, at least not this one, heck Toyota Tundra which is a full size truck is still trying to get Ford F series and Chevy buyers in their showrooms. Truck owners are some of the most loyal owners out there and Tesla is not going to capture that market anytime soon.

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you a politician?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't be too hard on him. He doesn't understand the difference between a Subaru toy vs a truck w/ 600 or 700lbs of torque.
    ;)

9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    He also doesn't understand that there are a lot of people out there that love the utility of a truck but want better fuel economy.

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't matter what we say though. He will come on and tell the world how he is 100% right and there is no room for any other thought on this planet.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is no Tesla pick up concept; the above is a rendering from some truck site.

The Model X is a more capable truck than the Ridgeline and RX hybrids. I expect those buyers would look at a Tesla truck along with the rest looking at a truck as a lifestyle purchase. The smaller pick up will likely make a comeback.

I don't see Tesla replacing the Fords and GMs, but it comes down to price and ability. Pick up buyers haven't even had a hybrid version that met those requirements yet. Diesel is the most likely contender for trucks that actually work. The Tesla should work for the majority of truck buyers that like the abilities they offer, but won't use a large majority of the time.

The Tundra is the new peak FSP. With the Hummer gone, the Tundra should replace it on the poster. Those truck buyers that do use them for a business, cost is important. The Tundra carries a Toyota premium, and is the thirstiest available.

orenji and hill like this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Another important factor for heavy-duty recreation & business truck purchases will necessary be if & when high gas prices return. In the meantime, nobody seems to give a rip about operating costs.

orenji likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought klutz was developing an ev truck.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hybrid, last i heard - but that seemed to go south.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not unexpectedly.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Got me curious about whether or not mid 80's Lutz - the living fossil was on hospice yet. Nope. The media still loves interviewing him, because he's undeniably the king of ½truths - which can't be completely disproven. That consequently gives rise to debate - which makes Lutz feel relevant. Just 2 months ago he was delighted to have the opportunity to take more ½truth pot shots at Musk/Tesla;
    Former GM Chairman Bob Lutz is spreading false and misleading information about Tesla | Electrek

I like to eat popcorn while reading what he says.

17. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the new master plans shows that Tesla is over confident about their success and underestimating their competition. A large part of Tesla's success is that they are the only game in town. As existing luxury automakers push into Tesla's niche they will have to concentrate on making their cars stand out and be better than the competition.

The plan to push into the heavy truck and bus market is simply stupid. These markets already have established companies and the market is very competitive. Tesla will spend time and resources that would be better spent on their cars trying to break into the commercial vehicle market. A market where cost per mile trumps brand names.

Nexus 5X ?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure they won't do it until the time is right. elon likes to shake things up, as we all know.

19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are forgetting the whole mission of this company. Elon's goal has always been to be the catalyst for change. Even if they never reach critical mass with any of their vehicles, the proof of concept is what will drive change. Just think what the EV world would be like today if Tesla never existed. Would look MUCH, MUCH different.

See this article: Tesla just updated its mission statement - ScienceAlert

bisco likes this.
  20. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There doesn't need to be a proof of concept for electric busses. There are already thousands of them driving routes all around the world made by dozens of established companies.

How is entering an established market segment you know nothing about being a catalyst for change?

Nexus 5X ?