1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on Purchasing a 2007 Prius Please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CPost, Oct 27, 2017.

1. CPost

CPost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Guys,

I am a Prius noob. I found a 2007 Prius with 56,000 miles for $6,000. I'm taking it to the dealer to get inspected tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should buy this based on the unknown life of the battery given the low miles. I don't want to buy this then have to drop another $3k for a new battery. I know its unpredictable when the battery can fail but it seems they have a higher probability on cars that are seldom driven. I test drove it last night and noticed this sign on the dash: (((i))). I'm not sure what that means. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am very leery of low mileage Prius.
    There is a chance it has been sitting for long periods of time.

The battery is already 10 years old.
    There is a high likelihood that you will have to replace the battery in the next few years.

But then again, that'd mean you have a $9,000 car, not a $6,000 car. You could look around and see what else is available for $9,000.

Aaron Vitolins and kenoarto like this.
  3. CPost

CPost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, thanks Eric for the advice.

It has already been sitting for a month at the current owner's residence. She is an 81 year old woman who doesn't leave the house. She received it in a will from a professor she worked for when he passed away.

4. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is ultra low mileage. In general, $6000 is a high price for a used gen 2 Prius, but this one only has 50K miles. Almost unheard of.

I would recommend buying it if everything checks out. Mine has 150K and I wouldn't take less than $5500!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

Looks like it has an issue with the brake system.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 7.42.54 PM.png
    If it's the accumulator pump, Toyota has extended the warranty till December of this year. Actually, I think it's through December. But it could be something else. When you get it checked out, hopefully they'll check the codes.

I would be leery of a battery that old and driven so little. But, if the rest of it is good, I might think about buying it and setting aside money for HV battery replacement. It will happen sooner or later ... in this case, probably sooner. Otherwise, that looks like a great price for a car with so few miles. My wife's '07 has 120,000 on it.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  6. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've a 2005 with 287,000 miles on it. Total maintenence cost has beeen <$200. I'd think this car would be a good value even if you did have to do some HV battery work.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    if you only have $6,000. and no money for major repairs, i wouldn't buy a hybrid.
    all the best!(y)

8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did it look like this:

warninglight1.PNG

If so just means low tire pressure on one of the tires...Anything under 30psi I believe triggers the light. Or could be bad sensor.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The trigger for the tire pressure idiot light is 25% below the set pressure.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind on a Gen2 sitting around the small 12v discharges unless the smart key system is switched off, and yes the Tire Pressure light could be on as the transmitters in the tires have batteries that die around 9-10 years no biggie there.

11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most Toyotas are 15%.

12. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have $$$ set aside for a new HV battery, they DO NOT like sitting.

That is well and far above market price unless the condition and maintenance records are above reproach.

13. CPost

CPost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Everything checked out at the inspection yesterday. It needs a headlight restoration ($99) and 2 new tpms sensors for the front tires ($380). @MilkyWay - you were correct. All the maintenance records were on file at the dealership. The hybrid battery was replaced at the dealership on 6/10/17. The service manager was amazed and said it's in excellent condition. The VIN starts with a J and he said that was great since it was made in Japan.

What are the best tires? I'm thinking about getting a set of Michelin's. Currently there are 2 Cooper brand tires on the front & rear driver side, a Goodyear on the front right passenger side and a dry rotted Michelin on the passenger rear.

Thanks everyone for your help & advice.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Best Tires" is subjective, what one driver thinks are great the next hates. Climate is only one variable.

In TX where we need not worry about snow or ice (DFW), our family is 100% Michelin Energy in whatever size for the vehicle in question. They are QUIET and ride well, but not *as well* as some other tires with softer sidewalls, we prize the following in order:
    -Wet Traction > there are BIG differences here between tires and we get a heavy rain frequently
    -Noise
    -Dry Traction
    -Ride Quality/crisp response

These would not likely be appropriate choices for someone that lives in the "Snow Belt", or drives a lot of gravel/muddy roads.

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $6000 with a new hv battery and low miles.
    Sounds like a good deal.

Just to be really sure, I'd get confirmation that it was a battery with NEW cells. Not rebuilt with USED cells.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Coopers ST

Coopers ST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch DO NOT pay that much money. As a detailer that is robbery. If you have a drill you can buy everything you need for $20 at Walmart. The 3M kit is really nice and I think even has a coating to out on them after you finish them. I would charge $30-$40 depending on the severity of the oxidation. If you don't want to do it call some detailers, or let me know where you are, I will reach out in my network of detailer "friends" on a forum you are on and help you find one. Really a $100 is way too much.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need to immediately pay for TPMS
    Best idea you should do the TPMS fix as a cheap fix when you replace tires.
    From Amazon I used (probably works for 2007) probably cheaper than your repair ahop can get the TPMS, just give em to the the tire guys before they give you new tires:
    Denso 550-0103 TPMS Sensor