1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on recent dealership transmission fluid change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Noahdoge, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m trying to get my 3rd gen Prius (2012) back in shape after finding out about this form. Since I don’t have a very level area to work on I decided to take my Prius to the dealership to get my transmission fluid changed. I specifically told the advisor I wanted a simple drain and fill of 4 quarts ATF-WS. After waiting for 10 minutes he came back to me to tell me that the service techs are recommending me to not do this since it’s a “lifetime fluid” I told him that I understand what Toyota assumes is “lifetime” but I’m keeping this car for a long time so I wanted it done. Well after I paid my bill and left, I realized something that didn’t make sense. I was charged for 6 quarts of ATF-WS but the Prius only needs 4. The whole service ended up costing me $200 which I think is pretty crazy. Anyway I finally got the courage from this group to change my coolants. The clips for the splash guard were extremely hard to take off and when I checked out the drain and fill plug for the transmission, it was very clean like there was no evidence that it was ever taken off. I could be wrong but the 6 quarts plus the clips looking original to the car made me think that they didn’t do the service. Is there a way to check their work or should I just assume that they completed the work. I haven’t had issues before but just for basic oil changes.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you CAN drain the transaxle fluid without taking off the splash shield: there are cut-outs in the shield right at the drain/fill zone. I wouldn’t do it that way, but yeah.

6 litres is definitely pushing it; it takes about 3.5 qts/liters. Might be noted in attachment.

$200 IS exhorbitant; $100 all-in is fair price, shouldn’t be more than that.

How many miles on it? The more the better. Have them, or better: an independent garage, remove the fill bolt in front of you. The more miles, the darker the initial fluid would be, if that’s in fact what’s in there.

if you can get it raised and level, DIY (or independent garage) this check, that would be best. Then, IF the fluid appears quite dark, take pics (say the fluid appearance and odometer), log when and where it was inspected.

Then, IF it looks damning, talk directly to service manager with your concerns. Be candid, avoid being confrontational; express your concerns more or less as you have here. Be cautious, accusations should be diplomatic.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Noahdoge likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had the same problem with my dentist

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve lost track of how many teeth I’ve got MIA right now. Think 3? Wife’s out 1 too. We’re both looking at implants, and with the price of those, don’t mind that our dentist is dragging her heels.

welp, better get up and make some porridge…

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  5. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius has 140k miles and it has never had a transmission fluid change so I’d imagine it to be very dirty. I’ll probably go out and buy some jack stands and see for myself how dirty it looks like. I called the dealership yesterday and still waiting to hear back from the service manager as to why I was charged 2 extra quarts of fluid. Thanks for posting that manual as I will send that to them if they try to tell me my car takes 6 quarts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got word back from the dealership. They apologized about charging me for 6 and said it was an error on the parts since they come in packs of six and didn’t adjust the amount used. Credited me back $35 and he did confirm with me that the job was completed. So I feel much better about it!

bisco likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in