1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread for All Confirmed Prices.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, sounds easy enough!
    Thank you. Our Prius is only 2 years old. Normally I wait 3. But this sounds intriguing...

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can get 3 or 4 grand off at the dealer, then, another 5 or from the government, it's nothing short of amazing!

Phildgreat likes this.
  3. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does anyone have any info on the $4500 Federal Tax credit. Now, I saw it in a TV commercial and on Priuschat, but the dealer claims they have no info on it. They told me to ask my tax advisor. Does anyone here know anything about it, or where to find out if it is real.

THANK-YOU ahead of time. I am so ready to commit...lol

4. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tanner9868,
    You can check in the irs.gov website for answer to your question(s).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is real, if you qualify. do you prepare your own taxes?

6. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes I do my own taxes. I don't usually itemize though. If it matters.

7. tanner9868

tanner9868 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    nanobozho and bisco like this.
  8. eguigal

eguigal New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Passing on my Gen2 2006 to the kids at 250k. Thanks to the group for such a great knowledge base.

2017 Prius Prime Advanced
    Spec Clr Blizzard
    All-Wthr Flr Lnr Pkg
    50 St Fed Emis

Sticker 34628 less 2500 Toyota Cash Back less 2500 Dealer Discount = 29628

Looking forward to the additional Fed Tax Credit 4500, Massachusetts Rebate 1500 (helps but doesn't quite cancel the state sales tax).

Cheers.

mmyk72 and bisco like this.
  9. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Los Angeles area, this week.
    Prime Plus (I wanted a Plus).
    Actually got it for a little UNDER MSRP.
    Got an Edmunds quote at $650 below MSRP in addition to the $1000 Toyota rebate.
    Called dealer to verify stock and quote, they said they'd honor it.
    But as the norm with Toyota dealers (for the last 35 years, Toyota dealers have been FAR worse than Honda dealers), showed up, first said quote was a "mistake", they can't honor it -- and as well, they added a bit of clear $3 peel-off protector tape around the doors as a $500 mandatory option that can't be taken off. Walked out (for real, had two other dealer choices, same car). 15 mins down the freeway on the way to other dealers, dealer calls back, says they will honor the Edmunds quote, and if I'd be willing to pay $195 instead of $500 (for $3 worth of sticky tape) they'd do it. I came back because in the end it was still $400 less than the other two dealers were asking.

So: $27,721, plus $195 (sticky tape) = $27, 916, minus $1,000 Toyota Corp cash back = $26,916 before tax.
    That $26,916 includes all fees (like the $885 Transport fee) except taxes, DMV, and the $80 doc fee.

The supposed dealer invoice of the Plus is $26,017 (and dealers often pay under dealer invoice) -- and the $1000 cash back is coming from Toyota Corp, not the dealer, so even at my below-MSRP price, the dealer is still making a bundle. But that's the market. There was one dealer (I'll shame them: Elmore Toyota in Orange County) that is not only full MSRP + junk, but is also actually taking part of the $1,000 customer rebate for themselves (making it only $760 instead of $1,000 because of "market adjustment").

It's going to be hard to get a great deal right now in California, but spend the time to look around, and be prepared to walk out -- not just for show, but for real (as I said, we were 15 minutes down the freeway headed to other dealers when the dealer called back). It's a game, and you've got to dance the dance if you want to get any sort of reasonable price.

Two notes:
    (1) Like with all rebates (and the Toyota Corp "cash back" thing is a rebate), you have to pay sales taxes on the price BEFORE the rebate (same thing as when you get a piece of software that's "free after rebate", you still have to pay sales taxes on the price before the rebate).
    (2) If you live in an area where the tax is lower than the dealership (ie, different county) make sure when they figure out the sales taxes, that they figure out the sales tax rate for where you live.

#229 stevepea, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    SDDuder and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  10. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "stevepe", seems many dealers have similar characteristic as what you stated, some of them show customers that are doing favor, yet they are not (sometimes is talking to a brick). My purchase experience with few dealers including the dealer I purchase Prime in Maine was great, transparent on the pricing, price breakdown was provided, copy of the sticker price with the VIN# was provided, miles in the vehicle was provided, requested photos of the vehicle was provided. In fact, once dealer called me with a price I was speechless, and once I got breakdown I was astonished, all done over phone and email. Once I arrived dealership in Maine, inspected, paid, and drove home.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nicely done!(y) may i ask which dealer?

12. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Which dealership was this? I hope they don't pull one like this on me next week!

13. Skalties

Skalties New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello Burke, did you finance with 0.9 apr out of the door or paid cash out of the door

14. eguigal

eguigal New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You may indeed. Acton Toyota of Littleton.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! they have a great rep for hybrid knowledge. when priuschat sponsored an event in westford a few years ago, acton was heavily involved in notifying all the prius customers.

looks like they have 14 in stock. imagine, a prime advanced for $23,000. after rebates, discounts and tax credits. that's less that i paid for my 2004 13 years ago! (which is still running like a charm btw)

#235 bisco, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    eguigal likes this.
  16. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All very good points; and good strategy.
    Too bad those dealers were such harddonkeys! Toyota Place, Toyota of Orange, and Longo Toyota seemed to be less obnoxious. I liked how I was treated by Longo and bought there, since they were the first to get me my car (2 days).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Phildgreat, dealership was North Hollywood. Salesman was pleasant and knowledgeable, and it's the "boss' fault", but that's the game. And jerking people around like this is the reason our family left Toyota for years.

Warning about Toyota dealers:
    (This is long but worth reading I think)

In late 1995 I walked in with my dad to another local area Toyota dealership (the one located in the Torrance area) for my dad to buy a new Camry for himself. Had a newspaper ad with the stated price and VIN, walked in, tried it out, everything was fine until they found out we wouldn't be financing through the dealership, then it was "nope, won't sell it to you." I had a small cassette recorder in my pocket because multiple people had warned us about buying from Toyota dealerships and had recorded the whole thing. When I showed them this, the salesman physically shoved my dad and started throwing things around. Found a payphone near the dealership, called Toyota's Cust Service number, spoke to someone for complaints about dealers, it was clear they wouldn't do anything but lip service.

Walked out and all sides of our family moved from Toyota to Honda to this very day. A week later my dad saw a very low price in the paper for an Accord, went to the Honda dealer, they said "which one of the 3 do you want?" bought it with no pressure, just as advertised, and was out like that. A month after that, I bought my first new car (I had a used Corolla). Instead of getting another Corolla, I would not step onto a Toyota lot. I went and bought a Honda Civic (at another local Honda dealership). Again, a breeze to buy. Forward ahead to 2006, instead of buying the Prius (I tried them out), I bought the Honda Civic Hybrid instead (not the best choice "under the hood" for the 2006 models, but that's another story) but I could not stomach buying a Toyota from the Toyota dealers. Bought my Civic at yet a 3rd different Honda dealer (out in Temecula), and once again, a breeze to buy. By 2006 there was internet pricing... got a quote, drove down, they honored it, no problem. Like picking up groceries.

Well, it's probably not a surprise to see nothing has changed in the world of Toyota dealers. There might be some good dealers out there, but the crap and lies through the years for us always come from Toyota dealers, and never from Honda dealers. Regardless of the car, that's one strong point with Honda, and one VERY BAD point with Toyota.

Though I will give it much more time before forming an opinion, it also seems that this has to do with Service as well. When it came time to servicing our cars, we went to a 4th Honda dealership (the one closest to where we live, though we never got a car there) and through the years, they've been amazing, making exceptions, extending warranties to us, the service is absolutely impeccable. Well, yesterday I drove to the local Toyota dealer (ironically, directly across the street from the great Honda dealer) and went into service to ask them just to remove a giant sticker that was left on the driver's side window by North Hollywood (who forgot to take it off). With no one in front of me, but employees just hanging around or typing on computers, it took 20 minutes for someone to even come to me (again, with no one in front), then it was "hmm... I'll have to contact detailing to see if they'll do it..." blah blah. 45 minutes for what literally is a 5 second job of applying the dissolvant and peeling it off. Needless to say, for times when I need to go to a dealership for service, it won't be them. I've heard one dealer about 30 mins (no traffic) away has excellent service, maybe I'll go to them, but I'm outside the range of their shuttle back if it requires dropping the car off, so...

I say this above not to diss Toyota or their products, but to state the difference in the way everyone in our family has been treated between Honda and Toyota dealers, regardless of how good/bad the cars are. Toyota lost the business of everyone in our family for a quarter century because of their dealers, and my experience buying the Prime shows that while there might (though I wonder) be some exceptions here and there, the Toyota dealers here in Southern California haven't changed at all. And it was a stark reminder after so many good, honest Honda dealers who had no problem honoring their quotes, no forced add-ons, no games.

Have no idea what the dealers outside So. Calif are like, but wherever you go to buy a Toyota in So. Calif, you need to be prepared to spend more than a day or two looking for your car or you'll be scammed. The salesmen are all nice and friendly, but as soon as you sit down, the fraud and scum begins, because of the "boss in back." As soon as crap happens, you need to walk out FOR REAL, not for show, and not be afraid to draw out the time it takes to buy your car by simply walking away and starting over again at another dealer, not just taking the "easy way" and caving to the sales tactics of the Toyota dealers here in the area. If it takes you 1-2 weeks instead of 1-2 days, that's what needs to happen, unless you want to be fleeced (that's up to you).

My dad was a salesman all his life, and I've tried to be as honest as possible relating this.

When the funny stuff begins (it will), WALK AWAY. For real. Contrary to what the dealer says, you'll be able to find the same package and color at other dealers in the general LA area. Buying from a Toyota dealer is, to us anyway, the worst part of having a Toyota and it's a black eye Toyota seems not to care to address. I can't speak to GM or Nissan, but Honda has addressed it amazingly -- and the difference between (all) the Toyota and Honda dealers we've dealt with over the last 25 years shows.

Good luck everyone, getting you car. But DO NOT BE IN A HURRY -- and DO NOT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY FOR REAL to another dealer once the crap begins. In Southern California there are WAY more than enough dealers (it boggles the mind -- do a Google search). The dealer may very well call you back and relent on (most of) the crap. If not, they're not worth dealing with in the first place and there are Toyota dealers everywhere here.

#237 stevepea, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back to Toyota after 35 years! Enjoy.

19. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Steve,
    Interesting! I worked for a Toyota dealer in Torrance, for about 3 years until about 1988 or 1989. I was in the Jaguar division and the horror stories I can tell you about some of the management (based on the Toyota side) would fry your ears! I purchased for our own family, a loaded LE van, which ended up being a nightmare, without ethical support from Toyota. Remember, I supposedly had some "horsepower", being an insider. Bottom line: I vowed to never buy another Toyota again! It took me until 2012, to give up MY Honda habit, after I was unable to find an appropriate Honda plug-in hybrid. I SETTLED with great apprehension, for a 2012 Prius plug in. I went from dealer after dealer, not finding the Honda Level of service, until I found Toyota Place, Garden Grove; they're ok. My purchase of Prime Advanced was actually easy, since I have insider connections which led me to Longo, and Lizette Vega where I purchased my Prime in a very comfortable, highly professional environment. I don't know about their service, but that sales experience was excellent. The saving grace for Toyota is that IN SPITE of the dealers, they put out such a good product that I was willing to take on the challenge. After all these years, 8 new Hondas, and 3 new Toyotas, I'm convinced that the current Toyotas are more relevant and reliable than the current Hondas. Honda service though, is still Number one in my book.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bwilson4web and tanner9868 like this.
  20. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was a big Honda fan for 3 decades, owned CVCC Civics, CRXs and an HX. Plus I worked in engineering for another car company other than Honda and Toyota for 2 decades. Since I bought my first Toyota in 2006 I am totally amazed and hooked on Toyotas. On my 4th one now. From an engineering and quality standpoint my opinion is that Toyota has Honda beat along with all other practical priced car brands. I am totally amazed at how much Toyota's are improving: quality, engineering, and value wise as time goes on. I have had overall great experiences at both Toyota and Honda dealerships.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.