1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat 2016 Prius reviews

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusfan500, Nov 17, 2015.

1. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well I hope that never happens !
    Having the instruments behind the steering wheel is old fashioned and not as safe as the way it's done in current Priuses and old fashioned is certainly not what the Prius is about !
    If you go at a speed of about 100 km/h/62 mph and we assume it takes about a second to look down at the speedometer behind the steering wheel, that means you are covering a distance of about 27 meters/29.5 yards completely blind !

#221 civicdriver06, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    arescec and Netcub like this.
  2. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Why do you think its quicker for everyone to look to the side rather than to look down? That's not my experience.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was hoping for a button, and a self leveling hatch floor.:p

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For comparison, a Civic dash. Yeah, I know, besides the dash... But this is good: the speedo is practically a HUD, and the lower instruments are clearly visible through the steering wheel.

image.jpeg

My sense, no idea if it's right, is that Toyota has a few lead engineers that can do no wrong, what they want has to be worked into the product.

#224 Mendel Leisk, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    civicdriver06 likes this.
  5. civicdriver06

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Because even though the speedometer is placed right beside the steering wheel (not the center of the dash !) It still is in the line of sight and you don't take your eyes completely of the road as you certainly do if the instruments are placed down below behind the steering wheel !
    I drove a few cars before the Prius and the old fashion layout never bothered me .
    Before the Prius I had a Honda Civic which also had a speedometer above the steering wheel and I learned to appreciate it !
    The Prius doesn't have the speedometer right in front of your eyes,but it is not far off and out of the way of the steering wheel !

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also distance, it's best to have instruments as far away as possible, so eyes don't have to focus so much. That is also the whole point of HUD - it's projected away from wind shield, virtual distance is at the nose of the car.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

All Auris have it, other than base models... so in 2nd model from base, you can raise the bottom trunk cover to 2nd position and that way you can fully flat trunk. Actually I think in base it is raised but in every other model you can lower it as well. Without lowering it, at lest in Auris, it is pretty shallow trunk so they should have left base model lowered so people would get more trunk space.

Flat trunk (somewhat) has been something that every Toyota car strived for and then reviewers barely took notice, instead they listed higher trunk capacity of Euro cars which have raised back but overall bigger trunk space on the paper... hence this solution now.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, yesterday, on "Driving Television" on "Global" in Canada they showed the Las Vegas intro. They also promised to cover the car "real soon", as in "we can't wait to get our hands on one, and we'll be sure to tell you all about it when we do". A very positive mention of the new Prius. I was surprised! But they are in Vancouver B.C., "environment town". ;)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I watched this review expecting comments on the Center console,:)

11. nc_driver

nc_driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rather superficial review, but in this video the new body-style looked the nicest I've ever seen it represented. Maybe because of the mid-gray exterior color? Funny that they mention the short visor as an annoyance - as an eyeglass wearer, many times the sun has come in from the side and bounced off the side of my glasses, which is annoying. Maybe that's true about any car these days, but I remember previous cars I've owned with extendable visors that easily solved this problem.

arescec and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    extendable visors would be great. but i guess if that's his biggest gripe, congrats to toyota.

spaceship like interior, i'm happy to hear that. i think it was a good review.(y)

#232 bisco, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Netcub likes this.
  13. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    After looking at it a lot these past few weeks other cars are starting to look dull and monotone :p

Data Daedalus likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Magnetic Grey is a nice grey (and it was available on the Gen 2.5 from 2006-2009). I do think it does complement the design very well (esp. in the Fuji Speedway videos that are posted on this site).

I agree. The visors don't cover the side windows - Why?? It's been a gripe since the Gen 2 (well I guess Gen 1 but there haven't been enough Gen 1 owners voicing their complaints about the sun visors).

15. civicdriver06

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    New Prius : High performance sports car :rolleyes:

john1701a, nc_driver and bwilson4web like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is what it is, same as any other car. it's good to have choices.:)

17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Prius Drift-O team in development?

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well there was this guy:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

TonyPSchaefer and Tideland Prius like this.
  19. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's actually all way round :)The base model have only a soft cover in the lower position; in the other trims you have a 2nd thick cargo floor that you can rise to have the flat surface. Or let it rest on top of the soft cover. From my pics you should be able to see both.

No, just basic hard mechanics here :)

20. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm sure I am alone with this thought, but I question the intent of the above Toyota video.

I suppose the purpose of the add was to tout great handling, and I am sure that the G4 is capable of the performance illustrated. I'm just not sure the add is aimed at the right market. The people that I know that drive a hybrid (regardless of the make) are not interested in that aspect of performance depicted (example - 4 wheel drifts around corners). Again, I may be alone, but I have questioned the rumors that Corporate Toyota wanted a more youthful, sporty design .... I have seen no evidence (at least in America) that is who is buying hybrids. When a younger, sportier buyer can purchase a Ford, Chevy or Dodge for significantly less, and it can perform all the maneuvers depicted and more, and have a deep rumbling exhaust note that suggest endless power, I just don't see them buying a quiet, well mannered, 4 door sedan hybrid.

Disclaimer - I'm talking about 4 door sedans, not the exotic foreign sports hybrids that are coming on the market with exotic prices.

Mendel Leisk likes this.