1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat 2016 Prius reviews

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusfan500, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First video I've seen with the LED headlights on. Looks like dusk (clock says 4:37pm). 1m27s has a better view when he holds the camera a bit higher.

Also, in this video, look at the number of black receivers and embedded wires at the top of the windshield. I wonder if this is the ITS (Intelligent Transport System) that is used to communicate with the ITS computers at intersections.

#361 Tideland Prius, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Motorweek, you should be ashamed of yourself . So how many MPG did you receive during your drive with the 2016 Prius? The main reason why consumers will purchase a 2016 Prius. You never told us did you.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Haven't noticed the change yet, eh?

MPG is not the highest priority anymore. This market has other preferences finally being addressed. It was really unfortunate how hybrids got stereotyped as delivering MPG by sacrificing of other appealing ownership traits.

With all the other automakers jumping on board to offer there own hybrids and MPG being all over the place anyway (since driving circumstances vary dramatically from person to person), other aspects of the vehicle are now getting attention. Expansion to reach more consumers requires it.

Toyota has embraced this. Drawing in a wider audience is what's needed at this stage. Once 50 MPG is achieved, increasing appeal by upgrading driving dynamics is a no-brainer.

Now, you've been told.

pakitt, Data Daedalus and Netcub like this.
  5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can accept that. Actually, I was very satisfied with the 52 plus real-world milage I achieved in my 2010. And, the new cabin technologies (and driving dynamics) is exciting. I just wish Toyota would have brought it all together in a better looking vehicle. Just my opinion.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got something against darth vader?:cool:

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Or maybe Woody Woodpecker?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ha ha ha ha ha.:p

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would he buy anything with all the free cars he gets.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Money, mouth.

Bob Wilson

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but it's a pretty sweet deal.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The potential for conflict of interest is way too intense. Worse, because operating expenses are removed from the reviewer, they barely cover MPG nor insurance . . . where have they ever volunteered insurance costs? The total cost of ownership.

What drove my cynicism home was analysis of the Consumer Reports 'score' versus their ranking metrics, the 1-5 dot values. I noticed the reviewer score was weighted heavily to the reviewer's comfort and 0-60 time. They gave no detectable weighting to MPG. Then I began to realize every auto reviewer gets to write-off a business expense . . . the operational costs of the cars they review.

Of all the non-Prius reviewers, only Jalopnik reporter had the sense to make a cell phone recording of maximum acceleration. I got so much technical information from that one review. Too many of the others seemed to follow the same pattern of 'creature comforts.' FYI, I did appreciate @Danny confirming forced charge still worked.

So if Wayne buys a 2016 Prius, the highest MPG hybrid, for his personal ride, it means he is free to discuss the characteristics of the 'loaners' with no conflict . . . no pressure to worry about things like 'have two Guiness TDI records just been negated.'

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob, i have no idea what you are talking about, but i like the way you stated it.

still, it seemed like a decent review.

#376 bisco, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  17. AKCoffee

AKCoffee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello

First post been a lurker for awhile...we have a 14 Prius v and a 07 Civic Hybrid with a new Bumblebee battery sitting in the garage. I'm also a member over at Clean MPG: no matter what you think of Wayne and extreme hypermiling, he owns a PIP and he got his parents into a v...he also has many many miles logged in all 4 generations of hatchbacks ... I would take anything he posts about about the new one to the bank: steady state, aMPG display accuracy, FE potential relative to your own degree of hypermiling ability and commitment, Toyota giving him permission to take a sawsall to his tester (interesting story over there)....

BTW great forum.

bisco likes this.
  18. AKCoffee

AKCoffee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone has their biasas and wants to keep their own gravy train going, but you have to give a man his due: he asked Guinness to review his TDI records early on in the debacle.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good enough, I did not know that.
    Good follow-up as that was not how an earlier post read. It was natural to look when the same forum with "VW Faces $17B Fine for Emissions Scam" has a thread "81 MPG golf TDI!".

FYI, I notice there has not been an update to: Steenman: Portland Green Test Drive. What we did and why we did it. | Steenman Associates. I had asked the same question of Edmunds and it turns out they have no plans to asterisk their earlier articles. The useful half-life of an article is as short as the next article and it becomes inert when you have to visit a library or Google search to find it. At least the credible but falsely earned awards were withdrawn.

So part of VW's reward were 2009-2015, six years, of suckering in a lot of people including journalists. Credible awards have been withdrawn. So I joined Guinness World Records: Home | Guinness World Records (account is free) and asked about "TDI" only to find: 81 MPG golf TDI! | Page 2 | PriusChat

The greatest distance driven on a single standard tank of fuel is 2,545.80 km (1,581.88 miles) by a Volkswagen Passat 1.6 TDI BlueMotion, in an event organized by 'Auto Motor i Sport' (Croatia). It was driven by Marko Tomac and Ivan Cvetkovic (both Croatia) within Croatia, between 27 and 30 June 2011. Only Croatian roads were taken during the attempt. The average consumption amounted to 3.08 l/100 km (91.71 UK mpg, 76.37 US mpg).

There were two comments by one individual:

Robert Albalos ·
    Carthay circle at Disneyland
    Volkswagen cheated, they put a special software in the car that cut the emissions off when you drive it so this record should be struck down because they weren't playing on the same field as everyone else.
    Like · Reply · Sep 25, 2015 1:06am

Otherwise, the search function did not find a TDI record mileage record in Guinness but Google found a bunch of articles pre-September citing the Guinness record. But this also found: Volkswagen's Guinness World Records Are Under Investigation » AutoGuide.com News

Volkswagen’s world records set using TDI diesel engines could be in jeopardy.

The brand’s records could be retracted in light of new evidence that Volkswagen’s TDI diesel engines had software that allowed them to cheat on emissions tests. “Guinness World Records is looking into the matter and it has been passed to our Records Management Team in London to investigate,” Kristen Ott, PR Manager for Guinness wrote in an e-mail to AutoGuide.com. “We will comment further once the result of the investigations are clear.”
    . . .
    Despite the situation, Gerdes, does not dismiss diesel technology bur rather says that, “The power, torque, and efficiency of diesel still holds just as true today as it did yesterday.”

“As soon as the EPA emissions Certificates of Compliance are released on the 2016 VW TDIs, you can bet I will be back behind the wheel of one of those fantastic automobiles to once again prove they are some of the most efficient cars on the road to own and drive.”

Gerdes said he reached out to the Guinness World Records immediately following the troubling news, telling AutoGuide.com that he’d rather have a clean record, than a world record.
    . . .
    The ethical choice, good on him.

Bob Wilson

20. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sure looks like the 2016 Prius Eco will probably go further on 10 gallons of gas than any car available in the U.S. Even
    diesels can not compete. Our 2010 Prius in summer weather obtains 55-60 mpg in real world driving here in northwestern Oregon
    I bet the Eco would be in the high 60's for mpg with the same conditions.