1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat 2016 Prius reviews

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusfan500, Nov 17, 2015.

1. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The above graph is for Eco, correct? What about regular versions? At 65MPH(Typical highway), the difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 Eco is 4MPG.

In that case, there is no difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 regular (Non-Eco) version, is that correct?

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

We dont know 17" wheel package numbers since Wayne tested only Eco model with 15" wheels, however most of the difference in Eco vs other packages is weight, which does matters little at these speeds. Acceleration and stop/go driving is where the weight would influence a lot more, not at steady speeds.

However, another big change is that engine can turn off up until 70mph... so at 65mph, that would be big change in regular driving, so real life difference going up and down will be even bigger at 65 MPH since G4 will be able to turn off its engine at times. So possible difference between G3 and G4 at these speeds is even higher.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing. I've already created the EPA tables at: A Prius history of time | PriusChat It would be nice if the chart identified the specific model which based upon the EPA table appears to be the 2016 Prius Eco. Here is the relevant table:
    city combined highway model
    1 51 MPG (100%) 50 MPG (100%) 48 MPG (100%) 2015 Prius
    2 54 MPG (105.9%) 52 MPG (104.0%) 50 MPG (104.2%) 2016 Prius: Non-Eco
    3 58 MPG (113.7%) 56 MPG (112.0%) 53 MPG (110.4%) 2016 Prius: Eco

Bob Wilson

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not to spoil Toyota's secret sauce, but weight is the ONLY difference. 70 lbs is the difference between Eco and the Touring models.

I think it's time that I start a diet to improve my MPG.

5. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm, if 70lbs makes some much difference (almost 4 MPG), think about having a passenger(150-200 lbs)? may be we should check them out the window!! :).

But again it should not make difference in Highway at all, but there is the considerable difference as per the spec.
    Based on some other reviews, differences of Eco seems to be
    1. No spare tire
    2. Li-On Battery(Except Base version)
    3. Rear wiper removed(reduced turbulence at rear I guess)
    4. Different tires(Even lower rolling resistance).

Can you please check with Toyota and confirm?

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can confirm 1-3. Not aware of any differences with the tires. They are the standard 15" going on the other non-Touring models, to the best of my knowledge.

7. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh!, other one I remember reading was about Low-E windshield glass. Seems to reduce AC load.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depending upon whom one chooses to believe, the 0-60 times may be model dependent.

Bob Wilson

9. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent, thank you!

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

You have to understand that highway ratings at EPA are not done at steady highway speeds... not at all. Highway tests has multiple accelerations and braking during the test, as well as going at various different speeds. Average speed is 48 MPH.

So there is no way to compare that to steady speed test that Wayne does to compare different vehicles.

You can find more info here:
    Detailed Test Information

12. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I understand that, but 70lbs is no way is going to make that much difference. That is an easy difference between driver to driver. (100lb lady driver vs 180lb male driver). Forget that, even with additional passenger we do not see that much difference in fuel economy (unless fully loaded to the brim).

That is definitely not it. May be there are some tuning differences in addition to above mentioned differences.

13. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OH DAMN!!! they still got that annoying beeping when in reverse

14. Staledonut

Staledonut New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The back up camera now has grid lines. Nice.
    Looks like the display reflects more glare than that that of the Gen III.
    The glossy white center console reminds me of the sink next to a dentist's chair.

Does the ICE sound as awful under load as the Gen III?

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct but they are consistent tests. This means we can calculate a correction factor and apply it to any existing mph vs MPG chart and come up with a fair approximation. For example:
    [​IMG]
    Take the 'thin line', the calibrated mph vs MPG and then use:
    • 104.2% - 2016 non-Eco Prius MPG improvement at highway speeds
    • 110.4% - 2016 Eco Prius MPG improvement at highway speeds
    Now if one has lower speed metrics, the 'City' factors can be blended in:
    • 105.9% - 2016 non-Eco Prius MPG improvement
    • 113.7% - 2016 Eco Prius MPG improvement
    Regardless, by May-June of 2016 we should be able to rent a 2016 model Prius for a weekend and make our measurements. Since I'm not really looking for a 2016 in the short-term, we can wait. Besides, the 2016 model has MPG up to 150 so I won't have to rely on 3d party Scangauge II (inaccurate) in some speed ranges.

Bob Wilson

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doesn't the Eco has active grill shutter or is it for all models?

If you are comparing Gen3 and Gen4 at 65mph (actually above 55mph), majority of the energy loss is pushing through the air, so aerodynamic is very important.

In stop and go traffic, most of the loss is in braking but you can recover that energy with regen brakes. On the highway, there is nothing you can do to recover aero loss. That's why Prius' City rating is higher than the Highway.

Besides that point, the difference between Gen3 and Gen4 is only noticeable when driven. Gen4 is quieter, absorbs more bumps and vibration, etc.

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The display seems to reflect more, but strangely it's more legible in sunlight than the Gen 3. I had problems taking photographs of it because of glare, but never actually reading it in driving use.

There's a lot less noise from the engine than in G3. They really worked on sound deadening, and improved engine calibrations.

All models have active grill shutters.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    'Autoline Daily' reports it can reflect sunlight so bad he had to hold his hand out. He also didn't like the sun visors over the driver and passenger side windows. His third observation was some sort of 'hitch' in a maximum acceleration.

Source: AD #1747 – Lincoln MKZ Gets Continental Grille, Automated Parking Could Reduce Congestion, New Prius Driving Impressions – Autoline Daily

OK, now for the cons. The center touch screen is positioned in a way that causes a blinding reflection from the sun in many situations. When it does you have to drive with your right arm outstretched, and try to block the reflection with your hand. The sun visors are woefully short, leaving a big gap to the B-pillar when moved to the side windows. And when accelerating briskly from a dead stop there’s a short shudder from the powertrain. It feels like a clutch is slipping until it finally grabs, or is that the CVT belt?

I intend to post a reply with a snarky comment about things 'auto-writers tend to ignore.' <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That should tell you all you need to know.

With regards to the sun visors, yes, but that didn't bother me because they've always been short.

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i dont get it, who is saying anything else?

Of course they will be model dependent, due to lower weight, Eco will be slightly faster.