1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat 2016 Prius reviews

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusfan500, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said.

The Gen 2 was our first Prius as well as I remember how cool it was with a centrally mounted instrument cluster (But a bit offset to the left, closer to your line of sight) and the large 7" LCD multi-function display. The cool electronic shifter and the generous number of cubby spaces. The back seat was absolutely spacious. The door trim was a bit of a let down. It's all hard plastic except for the armrest. The door armrest and centre console box lid were covered in thin fabric so they did wear out. However, the design was nice and I liked the two-tone interior (ours was black/beige. The other option was grey/burgundy).

And the drive was like a real life game. You would try to get the high score for best fuel economy. Traffic has significantly increased since we first bought our 2005 Prius (twice as many registered vehicles since 2006) so P&G is a bit more difficult than before.

RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What an excellent observation from datadaedalus. That is the kind of stuff Toyota should be using in its advertising campaigns IMHO.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Great article, public perception is slowly changing. Hopefully before too long it will be seem as cool to drive quiet and efficient, as opposed to loud and wasteful. The "look at me" motorheads won't feel like they need to parade around blowing noise and exhaust everywhere.

The author did seem to make a few errors about the four touring he drove for the month. 4 touring does not come with heads up display, at least not in North America. And he mentioned Star Safety System, standard on all models, when I think he meant to say Toyota Safety Sense TSS-P.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Star Safety System is traction control, stability control, ABS, Brake Assist and Start-Stop Technology which reduces throttle input if the accelerator and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read that via Google now. The report was not well received in USA by the petrol head tribes. Comments were grossly derogatory to ridiculous. You know the kind, little knowledge and less understanding!

7. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

You know, after owning the Prius for 8 years, you will get used it those attitudes. I wouldn't even try to win them over now, just let your ownership do the talking. I still have some colleague who reckon I need to change battery every 3-5 years, cost $1million bucks, battery bad for environment, your fuel consumption will drop like flies after the warranty period, etc. etc. 8 years later, my fuel consumption is still the same, battery still original and in good order (I used ODB-II to check battery resistance and charges over the cells occasionally), blah blah blah... You can't please everyone on this planet, and shouldn't try to.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  8. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got some nits to pick with the car since I live in a colder part of the country (no heated seats, no heated mirrors) but I still laugh every time I fill the car up. Most of the other drivers look like they want to cry.

9. Seaulater

Seaulater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It was interesting read. I had some bad experience this winter in Burnaby with all season tires. I know I shouldn't even try to go outside.
    I went to a store when roads were clear of snow and in about 30 min all roads were covered in 2-3 in snow.
    New Prius should be better winter car, I think. I like this video I have found:

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I'm running Nokian WRG3 (I've ran WR, WRG2 on the Gen 2 and the Nokian R winter and WRG3 on the Gen 3). There is a noticeable increase in traction with the WRG3 (trade off is lower mileage of course). Our 2016 is running factory all-seasons. It handled ok but anything less than bare and it spins the tires. The Nokian R dedicated winters are a dream. It's like driving in the summer. Great grip even under full ABS braking.

It depends on the type of snow too that you see in the video vs. what you see in the lower mainland (slush)

Don't forget the videos from our own PC members!

Seaulater likes this.
  11. Seaulater

Seaulater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I did watched all his videos, I like them very much. His way of showing road, car screen and making sensible comments are awesome.
    I also subscribed to his channel.
    I have WRG3 on my daughter's Forester now, that was my car and drive I liked it a lot. But when I leased Prius I decided I like to drive it more then forester, except in winter time, where Forester really shines. We tried it on Coquahalla HW this winter going to Sun Peaks with my wife.
    Other then that I prefer to drive my prius.

Tideland Prius and RCO like this.
  12. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Why is jetlash1000 not on priuschat?

13. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unusually quiet, aren't you? :LOL:

RCO and krmcg like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's weird. Why didn't the link show up?

17. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen the forum eating links lately...

RCO likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ask a moderator to check by reporting your post. :LOL: :D
    Seriously though earlier in the day the site was totally down. The Apache web server gave a "permission denied " error.

EDIT: Even more seriously, in another thread I tried pasting am image using Safari on my iPad and it did not work. It is working now from Chrome under Linux. Perhaps only some platforms are broken?

#618 Prodigyplace, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a couple thoughts after driving both a 2016 Prius Three Touring and a Four with the HUD and sunroof.

In my opinion, the 15" wheel cars drive 'better' than the 17's. The 17's and suspension give a bit too bumpy ride for my tastes. We were on Hwy 1 on a beautiful day with the Touring and a bit too much road feel. The non-touring's softer ride IMO fits the character of the Prius better.
    Also, steering must be fewer turns lock to lock on the 17" wheels cause it hit lock sooner than I would care for in parking lots, bit larger turning radius. Tighter turning radius on 15" also a plus.

Not sure Full Speed cruise control would be the best in stop and go traffic (where really have to stop a lot) : It stops and leaves at least a car length in front of car, more space than I do.

All told, these gen4s are really nice cars. Also got over 60 MPG actual on 100 mile day with car. I won't be buying one though. I'm just a little too tall for the driver seat: the seatback is great, no complaints, but the bottom cushion is just a little too narrow and short for me. Just don't fit it. It's a bit of a shame. Best I can make of that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suspect that the wider wheels have different steering "stop" adjustments otherwise they might not have clearance under the guards, thus increasing turning circle.

It is also possible that it has a different steering ratio, different power steering settings - even possibly different camber/castor settings they don't publish these sorts of details.

RCO likes this.