1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat reviews of the 2017 Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 26, 2016.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uncle Bob, that was an AWFULLY good review by a TERRIBLY interesting writer.
    He should go back to his beer, probably paid for by his WONDERFUL GM rep. My Autoweek prescription is coming up for non-renewal!!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something kept bothering me so I put on my 'editor' hat and posted this comment:

"Base Price: $33,985 As Tested: $33,985" - at top
    "BASE PRICE: $27,100 AS TESTED PRICE: $33,100." - at bottom
    At least two of four prices are wrong.

Comparing the Prime to the author's memory does not tell us which Prius generation. So how does the memory of "nasty, brakes" relate to the Prime? For what it worth, the Prime has a MODE switch to put it in hybrid vehicle (HV) mode which would avoid the reviewer's "nasty brakes" memory.

I used to subscribe to Autoweek because whatever vehicle was being reviewed, the facts and data were fairly covered. Autoweek was also better about avoiding the "Base Price" and "As Tested" errors. If "Autoweek" wants to be a clone of "Car and Driver," they have succeeded.

I can't read "Car and Driver" for the same problems as this article.

Bob Wilson

Data Daedalus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Agreed, I 'blinked' and missed it.

Bob Wilson

6. RJ Primw

RJ Primw Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think this is the first in a series. It appears the reviewer intends to write an ongoing series on his ownership of the Prime.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  7. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That looks right. In fact, I just clicked the link again and to my eyes it appears the article is already longer than when I read it a couple days ago.

8. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  9. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  11. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately this reviewer has his head placed in an anatomically difficult southern posture. What is this displaced performance obsession with 0-60mph times. Doesn't this cretin know that the 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV was rated at a paltry 9.3 seconds for 0-60mph by Road & Track Magazine? Yet it has become one of their favorite cars, and one of the most enjoyed (still affordable) sportscars of all time. A car is not just about 0-60mph; it's about BALANCE!
    The Prime is "fun to drive" fast!!! Yet, it gives you the OPTION to save huge amounts of money on petrol when you choose to do so. Long live the Prime, and congratulations Toyota on a truly Landmark vehicle.!!

12. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yet another reviewer looking backwards and not forward. WTH is with this obsession with 0-60 times that auto reviewers and fans have? Tesla is finally making comments about this in the negative and is going as far as forcing live updates to their software to limit the drag racing after xNumber of high speed starts to conserve battery life = "please stop doing that with your car and our reputation."

While I can appreciate his subjective opinion on Prii in general, some of which I also concur, it is in the end not an unkind review. Just another weird one on top of all the others.

Fun fact: Prime sales worldwide are double Volt sales. Not that any reviewer will ever mention that.

13. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also think that Prime is much better than Volt... Volt seems small and cramped and just like Ioniq doesn't have a feel of the future or something new, different and refreshing, or Tesla like. Prime has plenty of that.

Ryan c and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  14. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ryan c likes this.
  15. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. Ryan c

Ryan c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  17. Ryan c

Ryan c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Totally agree! Test drove the volt and aside from very good acceleration, I really disliked it. Very cramped and felt like an economy car. New Tesla 3 looks awesome though... Still, the price for a well equipped one is nearly 50k which is out of my price range and really not a competitor with the prime.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <GERRRRRR>

The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is the ultimate Prius for drivers who want a fully electric vehicle for in-town trips but also the flexibility to take longer journeys without range anxiety. It can drive 22.5 miles on electric power when fully charged. Beyond that, it transitions to normal hybrid operation using its gasoline engine in combination with a battery-powered electric motor for an impressive 590 miles of total range. In hybrid mode, the Prius Prime gets 50 mpg overall, 2 mpg less than the regular Prius.

The battery recharges in 5 hours on standard 120-volt power, eliminating the need for a garage-wall charger that can cost hundreds or more to install. On electric power, the Prime runs nearly silently and provides a quick initial takeoff, but fires up the engine when circumstances demand. Like the Prius, the Prime serves up a comfortable, steady ride and sound, reflexive handling.
    . . .​

I don't need to read the full article because I own and drive a Prius Prime. This is not the first time Consumer Reports has demonstrated significant problems trying to test efficient cars.

Bob Wilson

#198 bwilson4web, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  19. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    C&D. No integrity. They just read other lame reviews and extrapolate, bring in old biases and take new photos. Another C&D fail.

20. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. C, I Quickly read over a large part of the CR review. Interesting comments such as only 22.5 miles of EV range, without any mention of variance due to driving style. I would quote more of their article verbatim, but I'm not sure what the copyright laws are. They basically like the acceleration of the car and found it to be good handling in emergencies and very quiet. They did not like the 11.5 inch tablet for controlling the car. They apparently know nothing about controlling the radio using voice command, something I discovered recently from a post here, which works very well, not to mention the controls on the steering wheel which can also be used to tune the radio. They rated the fuel economy of the car poorly at only 50 miles to the gallon, something which to us Prime users is totally ridiculous. They stated that the charging of the car ranges from 2 hours on an L2 charger and 5 hours on a standard 110 volt charger. If you have questions about other facets of the test please just post them here and I'll try to look them up and see how they answered them. BTW, I know it's off topic, but I did get another Prime Titanium Glow to wave back as we drove together several miles near Anaheim, California!! Looks like he may have been hypermiling, 'cause I easily outdistanced him. He had a Premium model.