1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat reviews of the 2017 Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 26, 2016.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    You might not want to pay 1.20 GBP a LITRE for it!

Maybe we can work something out? You send me U.S Gallons at U.S. prices and I'll send you UK Gallons at UK prices.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  2. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Very negative indeed! Is it convincing or fair? It keeps comparing with the Volt. That's not like with like. Also the "bolted on as an afterthought" recurring theme is not justified IMHO.

But the biggest gripe is:
    "In my driving on the hilly backroads around my home in February, I was not once able to keep the Prime’s ICE engine from turning on doing normal things over a week+ period."

He even implies that turning the wipers on started the ICE!

Can't get much from the video "evidence" that he posted.

I need a vehicle that will NOT duo this except rarely. We do a lot of short journeys of 2 miles. If the ICE starts on a journey of that length and stays on for it's warm up cycle, the car will in effect be in HV mode for the whole journey and the benefit of having a Plugin is mostly lost!

What do we make of this? It does not seem to be reflected in anyone else's experience so far as I can tell. What do Prime owners have to say about how often the ICE comes on?

#102 GT4Prius, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Son of Gloin likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One thing that came through was resentment for the PiP that detracted from the Prime review. Regardless, to beat the spot where the dead horse was dragged away, I shared my comment:

I bought my Prius Prime Plus in Rhode Island and drove it 1200 miles home with 55.7 MPG using the stock dynamic cruise control, an option on the Volt. Toyota standard dynamic cruise control and accident avoidance were what sold me to replace our 2010 Prius with the 2017 Prius Prime. Following highballing trucks, there was one fuel stop at 600 miles, and after arriving home, finished the second tank a couple of days later with 699 miles at 60 MPG.

Living in North Alabama, I drove the next seven days in EV only, 301 miles, of which 2/3d were 'free' chargers at local shopping centers and businesses. But the snow in the review suggests a much colder climate than Huntsville, AL. We've seen cold-weather behavior in the Prius that suggests they are cold sensitive.

I too was surprised when in EV one morning trying to defrost the front windshield it turned the engine on. Carpe diem, I reset the second trip meter to measure when the EV MPG clicks down from 199.9 MPG. Regardless, the Prime has a pre-heat option that warms the cabin (if locked) before leaving in the morning. We have the same preheat option on our other plug-in, a BMW i3-REx.

I don't fault those who insist on a battery only car, they have a dream and are prepared to live with today's limitations. But our other plug-in hybrid, the BMW i3-REx did 463 miles on its drive home and over Labor Day, 700 miles each way to and from Oklahoma. The wife and her two dogs liked the frequent breaks. The BMW i3-REx got Volt mileage, 40 MPG, at 65-70 mph on the highway.

Folks have different requirements and it is good to have choices including the Fords. Just we're living in 'fly-over' areas so a plug-in with the long legs of a hybrid meets our requirements.

There is a distinct difference between a 'loaner' and a 'long term' review like Edmunds does. The author's resentment about their PiP experience bleeds through the review and might have led them to miss some obvious problems and solutions to cold-weather operation.

Bob Wilson

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the Prius Prime, Toyota delivers nearly the perfect tech car

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a dealer told him the pip would go 12 miles in electric. this guy is a 'professional' auto reviewer, and he believed the dealer? i'm not convinced he ever owned a prius, never mind a pip.

jerrymildred and bwilson4web like this.
  6. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Good review. There seems to be a consensus among journalists that the infotainment system is not up to scratch. Does the @Prius Team have any thoughts about whether Toyota it's listening and considering addressing this plus the Carplay and Android Auto issue, with a software update for existing and future cars?

With the cheaper Ioniq out there having Carplay and Auto, some buyers may well choose the Korean over the Prius for that reason alone. Would seem a no brainer for Toyota to invest in fixing this gap in its armour. Or to put it another way, if they are so complacent as to leave this as is, this would be an astonishing own goal.

Or am I being unfair. What do owners think?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

As of 7 AM on March 1 2017, no one has announced the first sale of the Ioniq in the USA.

As for me, I've never bought a car for the sound system, only what it takes to operate. As far as I'm concerned, rip all the audio and GPS nonsense out of the cars and I'll buy after-market that does exactly what I want.

Bob Wilson

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Although USB wouldn't be the "best features" in my book mostly because there's only one. Other cars (including Toyota's own Highlander) are including at least 2 or more USB ports. They don't all have to connect to the audio system but at least treat them as charging ports. Honda uses 2.5A USB ports for charging tablets and pretty soon laptops (USB-C). Moving one of the 12V ports to the rear was a good step but providing USB power (or 110V power) is more convenient than 12V.

GT4Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure if it belongs here: Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2017: Electric/Hybrid Car

Finally, a user-friendly plug-in for the masses

While the technology is nothing new, plug-in hybrids have yet to find their footing in the U.S. marketplace. Two key factors are behind this abstention: 1. Cost 2. Ease of use. The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime is the first PHEV to entirely resolve both issues, thus earning it a coveted KBB.com Best Buy Award over last year’s champion, the Chevrolet Volt.

Plug-in and Play

22 miles of electric range isn’t exactly revolutionary, but that’s also the point. The Prius Prime’s 8.8-kWh battery pack delivers just enough electric range to cover the daily commutes of average Americans. Where the Prime really begins to shine is when it comes time to recharge. Though it is compatible with 240V level 2 chargers, the Prime’s universal appeal derives from its straightforward recharging process. Simply plug in the supplied charge cable to a traditional 3-prong outlet and voilà! 5.5 hours later you’ve got a fully charged battery. No longer will you need to purchase an expensive 240V system for your home or waste time driving around your office in search of a dedicated EV charging station. Plus, as the most efficient production vehicle available, the Prius Prime delivers exceptional fuel economy once the battery becomes discharged.

Bob Wilson

tanner9868 and Data Daedalus like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't all phev's plug into 120v?

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They do but the larger batteries and less efficient mi/kWh leads to inefficiencies and longer charging times. But owning a BMW i3, both still beat gas in my area.

Bob Wilson

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

#118 Tideland Prius, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  19. Heikki Finland

Vehicle: