1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread/spreadsheet to track oil consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by roflwaffle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've created a google docs spreadsheet to track my oil consumption and would appreciate any additions by other forum members.

I have a couple gen 2's, and I've seen oil consumption that varies depending on the oil used. I don't use nearly as much oil between changes with the ST 10W-30 synthetic compared to either the ST 5W-30 or the Toyota 5W-30.

The biggest difference I can see between the three oils is the Noack volatility (fraction of oil that evaporates during high temps) of the synthetic seems to be lower than the Toyota dino oil, which itself is a little lower than the ST dino oil.

ST 5W-30

Product Details - Mag 1

ST 10W-30 Syn

Product Details - Mag 1

Toyota 5W-30
    https://www.pieseautopro.ro/uploads/item/data_sheet/1215/TOYOTA-Fuel-Economy-5W-30.pdf

With all that said, a few different oils in a couple of cars don't make for a compelling trend. I'm hoping that with more information there might be something that relates oil consumption to the type of oil used, driving conditions, and so on.