1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread to talk about EVs

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tracysbeans, Jan 20, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess the state can define them anyway that they please. Here in CA, a NEV is limited to 25mph top speed. The Think most definitely is beyond that!

2. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it fits, and doesn't weigh more than about 500 pounds you're probably good to go.

No. The Think only came in the one body style.

Just doing my best to keep up! :)

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Hmm that's odd. All the Ford Thinks I'm seeing on ebay say they only go up to 25mph.

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I found this Ford Think with a bucket. (It has ended though). Not sure how long the bucket is on it.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oops! I'd forgotten about the Think "Neighbor." That's likely what you're seeing. That's a NEV. The Think City is what I've been talking about. Those are few and far between!

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Can you find me a Think City? <BEG>

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Darell, I think I need some hard cover doors too. That way when I go shopping I would have a place to put stuff in between stores and have it locked up.

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I find one, I'm buying it. Though I haven't actually looked, I'm pretty sure that we don't have any more in NA. They all went back to Norway (which is better than whats WAS happening to them - being crushed here by Ford. This was another victory for the "good guys."

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The "hard doors" won't offer much security. The standard two-seater GEM has an accessory trunk that can be locked. It is pretty nice, but won't hold a table or couch!

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

What did they look like?

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh I though the hard covers would give me the security to be able to lock up some stuff in the car between stores. How would someone get in with the hard doors on the car?

I won't need an accessory trunk cause I want the long bed! ;)

Like this one:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.gemcar.com/images/vehicles_el.jpg

I see now an option Gem offers is a PA system. That would be FUN! :p

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh yeah sorry I did see it already! (Duh)

That's a cool looking car. Very cute and little!

How did you get to sit or drive in that Ford? (What is the range on that car?)

So Darell is your Rav4 the longest current range available?

Am I going to have issues with a 30 mile range car? Honestly? It seems so short and I'm afraid I might run out of juice and then be in trouble if I'm not watching like a hack.

Do I have any other options to get a longer range? (I'm not concerned with having to install a higher voltage setup if need be) I really want a truck if at all possible. (A truck just makes more sense to me)

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

woops can't get entire pic.

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Holy cow $1 each. I would faint if I only had to pay Ford $1 for my truck:

And the people who leased the cars and wound up adoring them, only to see them called back in at the end of the lease period, are livid. Many wanted to buy the autos, but all but one manufacturer said no.

Over the past few months, the electric car enthusiasts have conducted noisy protests and held round-the-clock vigils against Ford and GM in front of auto dealerships or storage yards, most of it to no avail.

David Raboy, however, was one of the lucky few -- when Ford told him he had to turn in his beloved truck because the lease was up, he conducted a well- publicized vigil in front of Senator Ford in Sacramento. Ford finally relented and sold him and other lessees their Rangers for $1 each.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A friend of mine was leasing that car (no other way to drive one - lease only). Range of about 65 miles.

You mean available ever? There are no BEVS available now, of course. The EV1 NiMH cars could go about 175 miles on a chage. The Tzero goes about 300 miles on a charge. A purpose-built EV in the body of a Prius would easily have a 250+ mile range today, with fast recharge.

Not in one that has a 25 mph top speed! That's more than an hour of driving! You aren't going out of town with a NEV, so there's little risk.

Yes, "running out of juice" is the common fear of those who aren't familiar with electrics. I've run out of gas, but I've never run out of "juice." I believe we've covered this before. "Empty" in a battery car still allows you to drive many more miles to "self rescue." When you're out of gas, you're out of gas.

Higher voltage will not get you any further. You need more kWh. Your options for longer range are carrying a generator, or lobbying for modern production EVs that will have that built-in. That said, most people wouldn't need more than 100 miles in their commute vehicle. And fewer still would need more than 30 miles in a NEV.

The concept of driving your car until it gets low and then filling up is not valid for EVs. You simply conveniently plug them in when you aren't using them, so they're full more often than not. In a gas car, you spend most of your time on a partial tank because it is a PITA to fill up every day. My wife is going on her fifth year of a 40 mile commute... and has not been to a gas station in that time. She gets all her fuel while parked in our garage. Mostly while we sleep.

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I want a Tzero. Are ANY out there anywhere used??

Are there any websites to go to where you can talk with others about BEVs? (maybe buying one from one of the members?)

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Set your sites on an X1. The Tzero is so yesterday. There were four built. They're all being driven daily. Nobody is selling one. ACP will build you one to your specs just for the asking. Be sure to collect all the change from your couch cushions before knocking though.

There are several yahoo groups (just search on ev and electric vehicles). But the hard-core lists are email reflectors. If you just can't get enough of hearing from me, there are several that I'm more active on than even here at PC! :eek:

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

You mean the Sicon there coming out with? Can you please give me more information on the X1 please?

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same batteries, controller and motor. Different car.

0-60 in under three seconds (on dry pavement).
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/wrightspeed.htm