1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread to talk about EVs

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tracysbeans, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Darrell. Speaking of BEV. What is the update with AC Propulsion and their Scion Xb?

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 5 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]235350[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. An excellent question. Let me go rattle a cage.

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The answer to the Scion conversions is officially, "We now hope to have the first Proto running in May." Fingers crossed.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That would be soo cool. I'm still dreaming that this car will make it to market. I've convinced my fiancee that she needs an EV car as her next car and she's into it. After seeing Nova yesterday I feel stronger then ever that the time to act is now. Please keep us posted darell

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Hey Darrel, Did you see this article?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/top_article...r_Buy_Gas_Again

On April 14th of 2006 The Governor of WI signed in the bill to allow citys to enact ordinance to allow NEVs on the roads.

I'm working with the City Council now to have that ordinance enacted here!

I though the article covered battery operated vehicles very thorughly!

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Apr 26 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]245779[/snapback]</div>
    I hadn't seen the article. Thanks for the pointer. They only make one glaring error that I can see... where (if you follow the link to "how clean are they?") it says at the bottom that a hybrid can be cleaner than an EV depending on how the EV's electricity is generated. This clearly demonstrates that they are not taking into account the pollution of making the gasoline for the hybrid. Does anybody ever ask how clean the electricity is that is used for making the gasoline? Nope. And can you tell that frustrates me to no end? Yup. If you want to talk about how cleanly a Prius burns gas, then the only thing you can compare with an EV is how cleanly the EV uses the electrons from the batteries. And in that area, there is obviously no comparison.... But other than that, it looks pretty good.

Good for you on getting the ordinance passed locally! I'm still amazed that there are places where it is illegal to drive these - when it is legal to ride a moped in the same areas!

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 26 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]245796[/snapback]</div>

I guess someone gave them some wrong info then because it looks like the pulled info from all over the place. I was suprised how much information that had in the article. Are you going to make a comment on the article in the comment section :huh:

Well don't congratulate me JUST yet on the ordinance cause I'm just getting started on working with the city council. The Alderman I'm working with said it will probably take until June to get in enacted if they do. I already found a Gem I want to buy if all goes through.

Darell, Do you think it's possible sometime soon that a company can make a NEV that has a longer range than 30 miles? I'm just wondering if I should wait to buy in case something better is made that can go further on a charge.

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Apr 26 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]245799[/snapback]</div>
    Certainly they could have made one 10 years ago, so yes, they COULD make one very soon. But they likely won't. Cost is probably the main issue. Nobody is going to pay $30k for a 25mph car just because it'll go 80 miles on a charge.

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 26 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]245841[/snapback]</div>

I see. :( I just to make sure nothing better was in the works. I'm sure I will get used to dealing with the range. (hopefully anyway)

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So we just set a new record in the EV world. A used (60k miles) Rav4EV (with replaced - reconditioned, though it says "new" - battery pack) just sold for $67,300 on Ebay. These cost us about $32k to buy new back in 2002/2003.

They mystery surrounding the need for new batteries contiues. This is the first retail vehicle to need ANY new batteries, much less a new pack. And we have drivers with 90+k miles on thier cars now with no noticeable degredation in range.

Ebay sale

Scroll up for sales price, etc. Oh... and you'll see many links to my site featured - included without my consent, but there you go.

This is the first and (and only!) vehicle I've ever owned that has increased in value every minute I've own it.

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 1 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]247819[/snapback]</div>

Whoever is paying $67,000 for that Rav4 for it NUTS!

Darell maybe you better sell yours and double your money? :unsure:

I wish I had about 10 of those lying around. :lol:

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ May 1 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]247917[/snapback]</div>
    ... or the smartest people around? Tough call. There was a bidding war among five potential buyers until it passed $60k, then two dropped out of the race, but three kept going up to $67k.

See, the thing of it is - who's more nuts? somebody spending that much money, or the hundreds of us who own them who are NOT selling them? It really works out to about the same kind of nuts, doesn't it? How many of you commute in a $67,000 car? :)

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just spoke with a woman that purchased a GEM, Shes had it 2 months and now has it for sale... I asked her why she was selling it? She replied speed and range wasnt as good as she had hoped. and has gone back to her 4cyl ranger pick up.. I suggested a hybrid next, she said once she sold the GEM she was going to get a civic..
    The GEM was the 4 seater with flat bed on the back..

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah I guess I'm nuts too cause I drive around a $30,000 car and don't drive much. Oh well. Let people think I'm nutty. I do have to say I enjoy driving a brand new car rather than driving the pieces of crap I used to drive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 1 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]247975[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow that's not good to hear since I'm looking into buying a Gem. I'm not worried about the speed since most of the roads I drive on are only 25-30 mph anyway. Now the range I'm not thrilled with but I'm hoping I can deal with it.

Didn't see research that stuff before she bought it??? The range is about 25. Did she just think she was going to magically get more from the one she bought? Or are you saying she couldn't get the normal range??

I've never seen a 4 seater with a flat bed on the back.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ May 1 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]247978[/snapback]</div>
    This is exactly what I was thinking too! Gives EVs a bad name (again). Sigh.

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 1 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]248044[/snapback]</div>

Yeah and I'm sure the speed issue makes you even crazier when they base that on what a Gem can do. :rolleyes:

My only issue with getting a Gem is trying to find a used Gem EL. (the truck version) I was hoping to be able to find one used but I haven't seen any :( (I'm going to use it to haul light stuff for my business! B) )