1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread to talk about EVs

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tracysbeans, Jan 20, 2006.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah Darell really seems to know alot about EVs and with having had 3 of them I can only imagine that he thinks it's stupid that everyone isn't driving them.

So Darell how much do you save on your heating cost with your solar system?

Gosh your so smart with all this stuff. I wish your were my brother or single ;)

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I think they are crazy for not wanting EV vehicles. I always get comments at the gas station when I pull up with my moped. I love my moped and bought one when I was 16 and again at 40. I don't mind if people think I'm crazy for driving a moped. It sure helps keep money in my pocket! :p (Just doesn't have a BIG enough trunk to haul the stuff I need to haul :( ) I think last time I tested my mpgs it was 124mpg! I sometimes drive my moped around for fun. I just like knowing it's SO cheap to drive! Just waiting for it to warm up to start driving it again!

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Guys? Watch this!

Go to www.PlugInPartners.org and view this mornings webcast of the launch of the National Campaign for Plug-In Hybrids.

While I'd like to see more pure BEV's, I think a plug-in gasoline hybrid would make public acceptance of BEV technology a slam dunk. There is a great movie about eight minutes into this clp.

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Whats a BEV? (sorry I guess I'm getting mixed up here) Is a BEV a plugin?

Gotta watch that clip!

What's the best website for talking about EVs?

Edited to add: I'm seeing on that website that a Plugin is shortened to calling it a PHEV. Now I'm not sure what a BEV is.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great inititative! It seems to come from Tx no less (well Austin whch makes it a little different). I for one support it!

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I'm watching it now. I hope this will help to get interest in the PHEVs!

One thing they have said on the video that was strong I feel was that if a college university can turn a car into a good working Plug In car then just think of what the manufacturers can do! That's SO true. All I want them to do for me is do what the University did!

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please take a look at my EV FAQ page, specifically the dfinitions shown here: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/ev_faq.htm#definitions

EV is generic. Even a Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV) is an EV. BEV is specifically BATTERY EV.

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tracy - Yes all factory BEVs came with a warranty - including the Ranger.

With the lead-acid batteries, you'd be limitd to maybe 35-40 miles range during the winter where you are. The other (modern) battery chemistries are not similarly hampered by low temps.

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So you mean a EV could be considered one of those kids riding toys?

Your website says this:

EV = Electric Vehicle.
    BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle.

I'm still not understanding the difference between and EV and a BEV? Don't both run by battery?

(sorry just trying to figure this stuff out. I hope you will help me)

Maybe give me some specific examples of something that is an EV and something that is a BEV

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So your Ford Truck is a BEV not an EV?

Ok so if I had bought a Ranger from Ford I think I would have gotten an extended warranty. Wouldn't that have helped so at least you knew you had some protection in case something went wrong?

PS This video is VERY interesting. Do you think it's going to help with the PHEVs Darrel? (Still watching it!)

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Believe me that I never saw my self as an "activist" until I got involved in BEVs. My wife prefers "rabbid proponent" to activist... Once you live with a BEV, you soon realize that the benefits far outweigh the draw-backs in most situations. My wife commutes 40 mile/day. She has not been to a gas station in five years. Seriously.

I have natural gas-fired forced air, so most of my heating bill is still tied to the NG prices, though the fans do take some electricity that I grow on my roof. My ENTIRE power bill for my home heating and cooling, plus 12k miles of automotive travel (in other words, this includes the replacement of our gasoline bills too) is about $300/year. I have neighbors who pay more for than per month just for their house energy, and I have other neighbors who pay about that for their gasoline each month.

I just barely know the tip of the iceburg. The bulk of my "knowledge" comes from just being steeped in this stuff for many years. Most of it comes through osmosis.

So... what are YOU wearing?

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just as a point of reference, that university (UC Davis), and that professor (Andy Frank) are less than a mile away from where I live. Here are some pictures of a visit I had with Dr. Frank last year. Soon you'll start to realize that my tumble into the world of BEVs was almost inevitable.

http://www.darelldd.com/ev/drfrank.htm

See all the cool stuff you can find on my site? :)

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tracy -

All BEVs are EVs. Not all EVs are BEVs.

An EV is a vehicle that is propelled with electricity as the final drive. EV is a general term, like "inernal combustion engine vehicle." A Fuel Cell vehicle is an EV. It makes electricity with the fuel cell, and is propelled with that electricity. A BEV is a specific kind of EV - one that stores electricity in batteries. All of my cars are BEVs, the Ranger included. The Fuel Cell vehicle is the only EV we have running around that is an EV that's not a BEV. BEV was invented to distinguish a battery EV from a FCV which is also an EV. Did I confuse or help?

Think of EV as "internal combustion engine" (ICE for short). You can have an ICE that runs on gasoline, alcohol, diesel, fryer oil, etc. They're all ICE, just like all electric cars are EVs. But EVs can use energy from a battery, from a fuel cell stack, from a boiler. My cars are all BEVs!

None of the auto makers offered extended warranties on their BEVs.

I don't think the video can hurt the PHEV cause, that's for sure! It'll happen. It is just a matter of when at this point.

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And then there are some hydrogen ICE being built to make things more confusing.... To many TLAs (three letter akronyms)! or four letters in our case.

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Well I got some nice tight dresses in my closet I can put on to drive in your nice white pickup truck! :p

Wow! My heat and electric bill are over $300 per month! :( I wanna do what your doing to save money on them. I have a HUGE roof I can use to install something on. I have done SO many things to try to save money. I have cancelled my cable bill. I have removed a bunch of extra options to my phone to take it down from around $100 to $36. I have cancelled my cell phone and went to a prepaid cell phone to avoid a monthly bill. (Yeah I admit it I love be very frugal :p ) I just got stuck when it came to figuring out a way to go without heat, eletric and water. Can you help me? If I could figure out a way to cancel them I would probably do it. :unsure: I know I can completly go without them and live but I wanna at least reduce them.

I wanna pick your brain :p I love not getting hardly any bills. I just paid off $77,000 on my mortage with 0% ccs so I could save myself some interest. My insterest went down $500 per month by doing that. (I'm VERY good at doing the 0% interest deals with success!)

I know the Prius wasn't a smart financial move for me. I guess I just had to give myself ONE bad move for all the good ones I do!

I was at KFC today getting some chicken and now the guy at the drive thru wants a Prius. I was what I think is called in stelth mode at the time and was bragging about how my car was on but the ice wasn't on. I pulled out really slow trying to keep the ice off. I love when I can keep the ice off. I think it's SO cool. Not just for the savings but how quiet the car is.

So I appreciate any info you can share with me. Tell your wife I just need to borrow your brain for awhile ;)

16. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is stupid beyond my comprehension. I think I now have an even worse impression of GM than before.

Andy

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok I see now! I heard of some guy running his car by picking up cooking oil from restraunts. Do you think that's nuts? (I don't LOL) I think he is smart!

I wonder why they didn't offer extended warranties for the Ranger. I would think they would have to offer in on ALL cars they sell?

So this video was JUST released today right? (I was so excited to view it I didn't get a chance to look at the site much)

It seems to me that everything seems to be getting squashed down. (or smashed in the case of your first BEV.) So now if this was released today for the PHEVs there is hope since to state majors are backing this system? (I'm still watching the video yet had to stop it to make a few phone calls for my business)

I hope your wife appreciates ALL the money your saving?

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah I agree! I think I would have run with my car if I had one. I wouldn't have wanted to give it back. Man Darell that must have sucked. At least you found others after that happened. Like you say once you get one then there's no going back!

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Darell, I live a half a block away from Ford. So if I had known about those Rangers could I have got one from them when they were released?

I almost bought a Ranger once. I ended up getting a Toyota though because I found a good deal on a used one. The reason I was going to go for the Ranger was because they were automatic and I prefer that over a manual transmission.

At this point any vehicle I drive HAS to be a automatic. I just want to push the gas to go. Only good thing about my toyota with the manuual was that I could pop start it if I needed too!

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice new sig, Somerville!

I'm afraid that a big part of the equation is geographical. Hint: I don't own a snow shovel or studded tires. Here in CA, "cold" is below 40 degrees. Brrr.

Now picture yourself smoking the tires as you "quietly" pull away, and you've got the EV experience. :)

She's very protective of my brain. She tells me it is the only attractive organ I have.