1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thread to talk about EVs

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tracysbeans, Jan 20, 2006.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah I insisted on paying cash for my Prius and I didn't even have ALL of it rounded up before buying my Prius. Luckily I was able to talk the dealer into charging a portion of it on my credit card and that gave me enough time to get the money rounded up to pay off the credit card before it was due. My whole deal from start to finish was done in less than 5 hours. ;) Half that time was to drive there! When I want something I want it now LOL (Of course it was also urgent since my brakes were getting real bad on my POS car I was driving)

Years ago I used to be into cars after buying a souped up car from my sister and her boyfriend. Then I got a Camero. Then a truck. From there I didn't care much about cars and drove POS cars. I used to joke that I would someday have a mansion with a POS truck in the driveway. Then I found the Prius and that has all changed :huh:

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tracy - There's a Rav4EV on ebay that closes at 7pm Pacific time.

click

I'll take my guess right here... $41k.

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I WANT IT!!!!!

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was wrong. Already over $42k with 22 minutes remaining. Now I'm starting to think it'll go for $48k.

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

No your wrong it didn't! Piece of shit LOL (J/K)

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pretty close! $45k. Not bad for a car with dents in the side, a crack in the $1200 heated windshield, and that cost the seller about $30k three years and 32k miles ago! What other car gives you that kind of return on your investment? How long will it take to repay the "EV" premium in saved gas? Negative 27 years or so? :)

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I wouldn't be alive by the time it would take to see any gas savings if we were looking strictly at that.

What BEV car can go the furthest on a charge? I would seriously think about getting one but 50 or 100 miles isn't enough. I want something with 300 miles on a charge!!

PS Yeah that Rav4 is pretty banged up. I would be happy with the damage on it.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Darell,

When the range per charge up of an EV is stated does that take into account the regenerative braking? I'm just curious.

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unless you're about 80 or terminally ill I wouldn't bet on that. :D

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Not 80 yet BUT don't do alot of driving at this point. I hope to as soon as I become a bit better money making machine. LOL

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Err... I think we missed the point here. I can drive an EV without using gas, for three years, and then sell it for a $20k PROFIT. The funny part is that I would have to go back in time, to join up with the day I broke even. That was NEGATIVE 27 years, not positive! OK, but anyway...

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tripp... this is just like comparing mileage of the Prius. We all drive differently and some can take more advantage of regen than others. Pure freeway trips gain you nothing in regen if you never have to slow down. That said, when somebody says they have X range, they mean that's how far they can go, including regen. On a good day, regen can extend your range by 10% or so. If it is all around-town driving, then you can extend it about 20%.

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Darell, Hey when I'm ready to buy an BEV can you help me locate one? What I would like is a BEV truck (ONLY) that would go up to 100 miles on a charge. Is that possible? (I though the Chevy would?) If not what is the farthest I can go?

Also what about carrying a backup battery and switching it out if you ran out of juice in the first battery to go further?

Thanks for your help. I want to get a truck anyway so figure I might as well get a BEV one.

Tracy

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can certainly offer my assistance. Don't know if it'll help or not. :)

The best Ranger and the best Chevy are about equal: 80 miles range.

If you want your 5,500 pound vehicle to weigh 7,500 pounds, and had lots of extra money, you could certainly do that. Well, not really. You wouldn't have the payload capacity for a second full pack.

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh I though the Chevy truck could go further on a charge?

What would I do though if something went wrong with the truck? Would I be able to find someone locally to fix it??

Have you ever ran out of battery power Darell??

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Depends on the truck. There were two versions of each truck. Ones with less range, and ones with more. Comparing like to like, they both did about the same.

Welcome to my life. We're the ugly step children of auto ownership. Finding service outside of CA would be difficult at best.

I'm asked this all the time, though it is usually phrased as, "I don't want a batter car. What happens when I run out of charge?!" Well, the answer is simple - you do the same damn thing you do when you run out of gas. Call roadside assistance. Yes, it can be easier to dump a gallon of gas into a regular car, but here's the kicker. Listen close now.... you don't just suddenly run out of battery charge like you run out of gas. When you're out of gas, you're out of gas. No matter how hard you try, you won't move that car any more. But in a battery car, you know (or can know, if you care) EXACTLY how much charge you have left (none of this stupid blinking bar crap) - you know to a 10th of a percentage how much charge you have. And if that's not enough... when you get to zero, you can keep going, as long as you do it gently. And if you come to a complete stop, you can turn the thing off and let the batteries rest a couple of minutes, and have a few more miles of range. I have self-rescued my own butt in this fashion. I ran to the end of my charge. I stopped, restarted and drove the three miles home. Running out of charge is not something I fear, just like I don't fear running out of gas. In 600,000 miles of driving, I haven't really run out of either.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't even look at the auction, but I can guess what they mean.... as the pack wears and ages, the range falls off, yes. New, the lead cars had 50 mile range, and the NiMH had 80. That slowly changes. The lead cars are the worst. Welcome to "quality is job #1." My Rav, on the other hand, has shown no signs of decreased range, and it is the same for every driver out there. We have private cars with 85k miles on them now, and no decrease in range.

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh crap I was hoping I could get a BEV truck while I'm in still in WI :( I guess that won't work now and I can stop saving my pennies up. I would have to have a place where it could be serviced.

Well I guess it's good that I didn't jump and buy your truck. I though it was bad enough to only get a 50 mile range and then now I hear it can get less and less.

Sucks because I was really wanting to save up to be able to own a BEV truck since I wanted a truck anyway as a second vehicle.

20. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

where have you been Tracy? how is your Prius?