1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three across install?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HKnight, Dec 13, 2017.

1. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III. As of right now I have two Graco 4Evers, with one rear facing (driver's side) and the other forward facing (passenger side). I'm pregnant again, and I just bought my Prius and love it, so I don't want to find a different vehicle. I'll need two rearfacing and one forward facing seats for 3 kids under 4. My 3 year old is about 32lbs, maybe 37in tall and my 19 month old is 21lbs and I don't remember her height. We would prefer to use an infant carrier before transitioning to a convertible for the new baby, and my 19m old will be rear facing until she's at least 3. Any ideas on affordable, safe seats that will fit, or an estimate of a size range to stay in for each seat? I was thinking of putting my 3y old in the middle, and both babies outboard. Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think @Mendel Leisk has 3 grandchildren in his 2010, but not positive.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @mmmodem had 3 in his PIP but I forget the brands now.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, 3 Radian child seats fit ok. I'm fuzzy on the models, what specific Radian seat. Maybe they're all narrow? Our daughter and husband bought them for a Pontiac Vibe (aka Matrix).

bisco likes this.
  5. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of suggestions for the Radians, but I'm not really hoping to spend $900+ for all new car seats. :/ But, if that's the only way it will work and keep them safe, so be it!

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have 3 but one is rear facing (DIONO)
    https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2016/04/103563_2006_reat_seat.jpg

Recently my wife said it was harder to make them all forward facing, but I have not looked at it yet. We have one of those bubble seats we can use for the older grandchild. The Diono are thinner but you'd have to read up to see how people are fitting them in.

Talk about expensive I think we had the Radians and then had to switch to Diono when there was 3

7. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been checking out different stores in town, and Walmart has a Cosco seat that looks pretty slim and says it fits three across in most vehicles.. But I'm not sure if it would work. Does anyone know the maximum width for the seats to make it work? I know I've seen the Chicco Keyfit (or maybe Nextfit?) recommended as well.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could you put three seats in the store side-by-side, measure the out-to-out? Or are they in boxes? Maybe considering it's a big-ticket purchase they'd allow unboxing?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can do anything in a walmartz.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did try that with the Cosco Scenera I think it was called, but I will have to take a tape measure with me next time. It looked decent enough, but maybe a little too wide.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You only need one narrow form factor Diono Radian. We have a 7, 4, and a newborn. We’ve done all the different rear and front facing configurations as they grew up. We couldn’t always use the LATCH points as they push the seats closer to the middle of the car while wasting space near the doors.

The newborn is currently rear facing behind the driver’s so the First Grader can exit the passenger side of the car to be dropped off to school.

bisco, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, those don't come cheap! Well over a grand Canadian for 3, on Amazon.ca.

13. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, the radians are made of solid and very heavy metal. It's not plastic like everything else. Luckily, I got a hand me down from my sister. We were going to purchase two more but it wasn't needed. Maybe a Prius C, would need them?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any ideas if a Radian forward facing in the center would fit next to a rearfacing Graco 4Ever, and some type of infant carrier?

15. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know but I can tell you the radian was in the middle position for all my different configurations except current because it was narrow and the Middle position has the least amount of space. I have 6 different child seats that fit in a variety of positions. (Hand me downs from two sister's family)

Like I said already, if you insist on using LATCH, you may encounter fit issues. The officer at the new parent training class assured me that regular seat belts hold a child seat just as well as LATCH. LATCH exists because parents are less likely to install seats incorrectly using them. When in doubt take it to your nearest police station or child seat inspection station to verify.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm okay with using the seat belts, I just find that it seems like a tighter hold when I use the LATCH system. I don't doubt my carseat installs, I always triple check them and read manuals, lmao.

kc410 and bisco like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So the latch strong points are meant to be used for one child seat only, ie: one child seat on each outer rear seat location, and lap belt if you have a third child seat in the middle?

I've put 3 in the back, doubling-up the latch connectors with the centre child seat. The two connectors on one strong point aren't overly crowded; the U-bolt is plenty wide enough. The angle of the belt from the centre seat to the strong point is a little shallower, but it still seemed very secure.

Not sure where I read, maybe the tags on the Radian seats, you should put your knee in the seat, put your weight on it as you're cinching the belts tight, taking out the slack. Doing that, all three seats on the latch connectors seem locked very solid.

Still, I guess they should just put an extra couple of latch points for a centre seat, just inboard a few more inches, improve that belt angle. It doesn't occur to the manufacturers someone might want three breast seats in the back? (n)

More likely they're only required to supply two, so that's all they do?

18. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have 3 kids (soon to be 4!) and I drive a 2012 Prius, which should be basically the same as the 2010. I will say that putting all 3 in the back was not fun, but it was possible. It would probably be easier now since my oldest is in a booster, but i think it does help if memory serves to have one facing backwards so they don't get so crowded side to side. I would probably put your rear facing in the middle if the seat will allow it (we had an infant seat that wouldn't stay stable in the middle).

It's going to be tight, but still in your best interest to make sure the battery air intake vent on the passenger's side is not fully blocked by a car seat.

My wife liked the idea of a Prius for her driving the kids around because of the mileage compared to other large vehicles, but after trying 3 in the back of my Prius when our Honda Odyssey was in the shop we are both glad she has that. Good luck!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. HKnight

HKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you! I have a rearfacing toddler as well as forward facing, so I'd put rf in the middle then instead of outboard?