1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three bars driven 250 miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jkash, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

This is my first week with the car, so forgive my ignorance. I have three bars left on the gas gauge, and have gone 250 miles. The mpg readout is at 49 mpg. Does this sound normal?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. johnp

johnp New Member

Jeff, Pretty consistant with what I've seen on my car. Usually get to 300 miles and 2 bars left. Last fill up was at 400 miles, one bar but not yet flashing. 49 mpg is would be pretty good for me, I'm more like 47 most of the time.

John

3. tollhouse

tollhouse New Member

Your mpg is good but your fuel qty gage iis probably inaccurate. Mine reads way low. With one bar showing and blinking the tank will only take about 8 gallons with about 300 miles on the tankful. This is pretty consistant. Sure hope Toyota will come up with a fix!!

Al

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I filled up for the second time today. The last bar started blinking at only 300 miles. The display read 51.5 mpg. I put in almost exactly 7 gallons, which figures out to 43.2 mpg. Not very accurate. The first tank was 50 on the readout and 50.7 actual. Fortunately, the gas gauge/tank problem is the only one I am having.

Jeff

5. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My very first fill-up, last bar not yet blinking, i had driven 360miles.

On my 2nd fill-up, also last bar not blinking, i've driven 280miles. sigh!

I've decided to make note of how many miles per bar after a fill-up. so far, first bar (when 1 bar disappears) got me 80 miles. then, after 2nd bar disappeared, it had only been around 30 miles. :? oh well, i guess lots of variables affect it like where i drove and how long etc. Also, it has only 780miles on it. :D so i break in still in it's early stages.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The gauge might not be either linear OR consistent. The reserve capacity may be different for different cars, and also the amount of gas above the full mark after a fill is likely to be different from one fill to the next. And we do know that ambient temperature affects the total tank capacity. That in turn may affect the gauge's response, including its linearity, consistency, and reserve amount.

I play it safe and fill up as soon as the last bar starts to blink, or any time after it drops to 2 bars and it's convenient for me to fill up. I don't drive a lot of miles so this is still less than twice a month.