1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three DTCs: verify my theory?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bigger, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Bigger

Bigger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2005 Prius
    240k miles
    Recent work: new MAF *, new plugs, new coils, pour-in injector cleaner. Oil change, new tires, new windshield.
    Just finished a 2700 mile jaunt with no problems.
    *The new MAF failed (gee, thanks AutoZone) so we reinstalled the old one and cleaned it with MAF spray cleaner.

During small-city traffic at 30mph, 80 degrees moderately high humidity, CEL came on. No symptoms were observed; no loss of power, jerking, noises, nothing.

Techstream gave me three codes, all current and historical. P0102, P0113, and P0456, which is also pending.

Since two codes point to the MAF, I'm planning to replace that. It is a cheap enough part to make throwing a bit of money at the problem relatively unpainful.

Has anyone seen this trio before and found a fix?

Thank you.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is your check engine light on?

You can buy a Denso MAF sensor on Amazon for a pretty decent price.

Bigger likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe these pages will help you figure it out. That last one seems unrelated. I think I'd start by making sure I had all the intake air hose clamps snugged down properly and that there aren't any other intake leaks. I seem to remember getting at least one of those the time I forgot to reconnect the MAF plug after cleaning my throttle body. But it was immediate. Might have come unfastened or broke a wire?
    P0102 2004 TOYOTA PRIUS Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
    P0113 TOYOTA Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
    P0456 2008 TOYOTA PRIUS EVAP Control System Leak Detected Very Small Leak

#3 jerrymildred, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Bigger likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the temp sensor and the MAF are in the same unit, it might pay to check the plug and wiring first, before concluding the sensors are at fault.